G1X doubts at Trusted Reviews

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions
djon1
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
G1X doubts at Trusted Reviews
Feb 23, 2012

...advantages of this larger sensor are immediately clear to overall image quality, with the G1 X offering class-leading performance in this respect. However, in other areas the G1 X lets itself down somewhat with sluggish operation and niggly performance issues. Image quality purists may well be willing to forgive these flaws, however anyone in the market for a snappy advanced compact with quickfire operation may well be slightly disappointed.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/canon-powershot-g1x_Digital-Camera_review

Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blunt Instrument
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
Re: G1X doubts at Trusted Reviews
In reply to djon1, Feb 23, 2012

Who would trust a mob who call themselves "Trusted Reviews"?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
djon1
Like?
In reply to Blunt Instrument, Feb 23, 2012

They have a loyal following in the UK. They appear to strive for fairness.

ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Can all the G1X supporters please tell us, in advance, which websites you consider to be authoritative for photography reviews? Seems like every time a review comes out, G1X owners say, "yeah, but that website doesn't count."

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,081Gear list
Like?
Honest Motors

Would you buy a car from them? But I do know such a company.

The bigger problem is that it's not a photography specific website. So being cool to use is probably more important to them than IQ.

Blunt Instrument wrote:

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
GaryJP
Like?
In reply to ispress, Feb 23, 2012

ispress wrote:

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Can all the G1X supporters please tell us, in advance, which websites you consider to be authoritative for photography reviews? Seems like every time a review comes out, G1X owners say, "yeah, but that website doesn't count."

Why do you divide the world into "supporters" and otherwise? What is the opposite of a "supporter" and are you one?

I find this kind of tribal thinking strange.

I am a G1X USER . I am also an X10, GX1, and GF2 user in compacts (as well as most of the earlier Canon G series). The camera is a tool that has made design compromises, as they all must. It works superbly for me, in my shooting situations. The X10, for example, has a sensor flaw, which limits its use considerably. The S100 you like so much is also, I think, a wonderful camera.

May I ask which movie critic you trust so 100% thoroughly that you will let his or her judgement override your own experience of the movie? What if he or she doesn't like romantic comedies and you do?

One normally takes reviewers as one finds them. Some would praise gold plated dog mess if it had one label on it over another (I know at least two who are gaga over EVERY Nikon product, and likewise for Canon), and the scrupulous user of reviews knows this.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
GaryJP
Like?
Postscript
In reply to GaryJP, Feb 23, 2012

Given that until VERY recently almost NO review site had even mentioned the WDS/Orb problem of the Fuji X10, which often renders it unusable for me, sometimes people are VERY right to take reviewers with a pinch of salt.

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Sick of "reviews"
In reply to djon1, Feb 23, 2012

Can people filter some of the garbage rather than posting every single review here? When people start reviewing it on Amazon are we going to get a link every day to every user review, too?

I've never seen such wholesale lack of discretion when it comes to posting reviews from websites that have absolutely no real value beyond some yahoo at whatever commercial-laden website vomitting his opinion into the world.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
davel33
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to ispress, Feb 23, 2012

ispress wrote:

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Ya see the problem at least for me is that this was an opinion not a review. There was no objective data given at all, just the spec data. The pics they took from another web site. I would like some objective data in a review. Go look at the DPR and Pop Photo reviews, I really hope you can see the difference. Just so ya know I do have a G1X ( for 2 weeks now) and really like, its going with me next week on vacation and the 7D with the 2.8 zooms will stay home

Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +10 more
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, Feb 24, 2012

GaryJP wrote:

ispress wrote:

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Why do you divide the world into "supporters" and otherwise? What is the opposite of a "supporter" and are you one?

I find this kind of tribal thinking strange.

I am a G1X USER . I am also an X10, GX1, and GF2 user in compacts (as well as most of the earlier Canon G series). The camera is a tool that has made design compromises, as they all must. It works superbly for me, in my shooting situations. The X10, for example, has a sensor flaw, which limits its use considerably. The S100 you like so much is also, I think, a wonderful camera.

May I ask which movie critic you trust so 100% thoroughly that you will let his or her judgement override your own experience of the movie? What if he or she doesn't like romantic comedies and you do?

One normally takes reviewers as one finds them. Some would praise gold plated dog mess if it had one label on it over another (I know at least two who are gaga over EVERY Nikon product, and likewise for Canon), and the scrupulous user of reviews knows this.

I'm not disagreeing that many (maybe even most) reviews are rubbish, but you still haven't answered my question about which sites you would consider trustworthy. For instance, Popular Photography just released an extensive review of the G1X and they really liked it. Are they definitive?

As for my own feelings, I was on the fence about buying a G1X and even had a pre-order in on Amazon at one point. I think it's a fine camera that will only get better with each new generation. I currently find it a tad overpriced and underspeced, but that's just me. I completely understand why others would buy one.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Cashmonee
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to ispress, Feb 24, 2012

ispress wrote:

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Good question. I would prefer that those that disagree with the review give counterpoints as opposed to attacking the site or reviewer. It seems every time someone disagrees with a review, they attack the reviewer and/or site without ever giving any valid counterpoints. This is not limited to the G1X either.

For my part, the G1X is not a camera for me. The reasons mirror many of the negative aspects of several reviews (price, size, slow lens, etc.). However, I do not dispute the positives that reviews have mentioned such as excellent IQ, great ISO performance, etc. I wish people could be a little more tempered in their opinions instead of all or nothing.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,878Gear list
Like?
In reply to Blunt Instrument, Feb 24, 2012

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Yes, far better to look at the "Mistrusted Reviews" site

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Feb 24, 2012

What about CNET??

djon1
Like?
Re: Sick of "reviews"
In reply to howardroark, Feb 24, 2012

That's harsh. All the review sites I've visited carry advertising, even the sainted dpReview. I haven't had a sense of bias in their reviews. An important new product like the G1 X is bound to excite widespread interest; and until dpReview manages to post its own comprehensive review, most of the other reviews out there are going to be studied carefully. I certainly haven't detected any vomiting!

AndersLj
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
A review to be trusted
In reply to djon1, Feb 24, 2012

I have not yet seen the camera, but to me the review seems to be very fair.

The reviewer really praises the IQ, but mentions - fairly - that the camera is slow and that the nearest focusing distance is long. I recognise these opinions from other reviews. The overall opinion however is positive. And in a review, of course it is important to point at the shortcomings.

I now and then read the reviews at Trusted Reviews, and I consider them being among the best I can find on the net.

AndersLj

AndersLj
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Why did you open the thread?

The title of the thread clearly mentions that the topic is a review. If you get so fed up by reviews, why on earth did you open the thread?

Most reviews have at least some interesting information. The more reviews you look at, the better knowledge you get about the product tested. Of course you should evaluate the importance of all pieces of information yourself. But for an expensive product like this camera, every piece of information could be very valuable.

AndersLj

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386
Like?
Sick of self-appointed moderators

A yahoo vomiting his opinion into the world describes an awful lot of your posts. I am not sure what narrow range of subjects meet with your approval and couldn’t care less. People are going to post about what they want and there is not one thing you can do about it.

It sounds to me like you need an intervention so before you make another post about what you consider appropriate material for this forum try reciting the following prayer popular in anger management and other 12 step programs:

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.”

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,575Gear list
Like?
Who cares --------->
In reply to djon1, Feb 24, 2012

Who cares - anyone who expects this thing to focus like a GH2 is living in cloud cuckoo land, the X100 doesn't either and that's with an F2 lens neither does the Leica X1 and all of them are about 10X faster than a Sigma DP ....

Basically I expect the AF to be as good as a G10 (a bit faster than a G11 or S90) and expect similar AF to them in low light at the long end- if it can pull that off then it'll do what I want it for which is for work shooting lowlight concerts , Masses, Bar mitzvahs, Christening services, business meetings and other events where Silence is important , the X100 is superb but very very limitiing with just a 35mm FOV, no IS and only 12Mp (not very wide, no zoom and little cropping space) even if it is the absolute State of the art regarding APS-C high ISOs from its amazing Toshiba sensor .

I'd never use this thing as a leisure camera , that's what cast off NEX5s and scruffy outdated (but still worthy) Megazooms like the SX10 and S6500 are for

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210 +1 more
djon1
Like?
Re: Why did you open the thread?
In reply to AndersLj, Feb 24, 2012

That's what I just said.

jim yeats
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
In reply to ispress, Feb 24, 2012

ispress wrote:

Blunt Instrument wrote:

For sure you can't trust a website that gives the Fuji X10 a 9 rating......

jim yeats's gear list:jim yeats's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads