Australians pay up to 14 times more for everyday items.

Started Feb 22, 2012 | Discussions
dpreviewprov
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Australians pay up to 14 times more for everyday items.
Feb 22, 2012
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?
They're all bananas....
In reply to dpreviewprov, Feb 22, 2012

dpreviewprov wrote:

Sad...but true.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/consumer/article/-/12982759/australia-s-pricey-prices

Not sure what this has to do with cameras or photography? The news article doesn't provide fodder for camera price comparisons and this is beat up topical news to feed the nightly local affairs, current affairs news on TV between competing channels for slow news days.

And there's no simple "we'll bring back Kevin Rudd and he'll solve everything" value either. Each price difference may be composed of standard factors (small volume sales, large transportation distances, high salaries) or it may be due to policies.

We had the banana trees blow down. We blocked bananas from being imported for protectionist and postulated plant disease issues. We raised the price until it was like gold. We replanted. And guess what? We replanted the same crummy, tastesless variety of bananas. There is a whole diversity in banana styles, tastes, texture. But all I can get in Oz is the same tasteless banana that I used to get before the scarcity.

My two cents. Make it 5 cents - they're about as useless as 2 cents nowadays.

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?
Re: Australians pay up to 14 times more for everyday items.
In reply to dpreviewprov, Feb 23, 2012

I caught myself thinking over it on my late visit to a country town few hours north of Sydney, where I live, realising we get ripped off on every corner. It's come down to what Europe used to look at Medieval (Middle Ages) times: we pay for every bridge we cross and every road we step on that exist on the surface on Earth (as owned by somebody, even if the owner is the Government no longer being part of the "people" thing), you pay parking as determined by the local feud, if you try avoid paying taxes you get tortured in every possible way and the gap between rich (minority) and poor (majority) is getting greater and greater. That much about the "advance of Society", someone put the shifter in R...

Living in a big city has become struggle with time, something I envy people living in smaller towns (though the "feudal" system is getting there slowly as we speak. And all this spiral out, without control for sure. Often I look at the Government as the elephant in the glass store left to look after just one item - they do guard it with the large body pretty well, but they smash most of other stuff around - in this case they are trying to protect economy, yet they just sat on the standard of living - and smashed it flat.

So, no need to say much more (as some would say "at least you still have your jobs" as if that was such a success), I will continue to use my (now in its fifth year) old DSLR without imminent plans to upgrade.

edit: this just adds relevance to photography (BTW the price of D7000 has gone up by almost 10% in the last fornight or so - our Dollar got stronger again????)

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 3,065
Like?
Re: Australians pay up to 14 times more for everyday items. no we don't.
In reply to dpreviewprov, Feb 23, 2012

No we don't, the strong Australian dollar means the imports are cheaper and our exports are more expensive. A D7000 plus 18 to 105 kit now is almost the same price as in Thailand. The 40 mm macro is cheaper here than Thailand. and after spending 6 weeks in England and Europe before Christmas I can assure you your buck will go further in Australia than over there. That's not to say that I am an avid Aussie, I am not. It is the most boring place in the world especially on the west coast ( Perth ) and I have been here my entire life ( but the money is good ). There other good things about the high Au $, It took about 15% off a condo we bought in Bangkok as an investment and holiday house.

But the thing we lack over here is beautiful light you get in the Northern Hemisphere. That soft light without harsh shadows and the great Autumn colours, we don't have anything like that.

Unfortunately a lot Australian's are wingers and they don't know just how well off financially we are as a whole, you can get sick anywhere in the country with no money in your pocket and you will get some of the best medical treatment in the world and be covered for almost every dollar.

Petteri Sulonen
Forum ProPosts: 24,585Gear list
Like?
With mangoes as good as yours, who cares about bananas? (NT)
In reply to AnandaSim, Feb 23, 2012
 Petteri Sulonen's gear list:Petteri Sulonen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
efrench
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?
In reply to dpreviewprov, Feb 24, 2012

They must be very forgetful. I usually remember when I pay for something

How often do they pay for monthly items?
--
http://www.efrench.members.winisp.net/

AnandaSim
Like?
Re: With mangoes as good as yours, who cares about bananas? (NT)
In reply to Petteri Sulonen, Feb 24, 2012

Petteri Sulonen wrote:

(NT)

Re: With mangoes as good as yours, who cares about bananas? (NT)

The mango guys and girls appear to be working harder in providing diversity than the banana farmers. This year, we have the Calypso, a small, lovely red/yellow variety, the older R2D (otherwise known as Apple mango - red-green) - a bit too rich in smell, the Kensington Pride, a general yellow one, Vietnamese style green mango (sour and crisp and yummy) and a Vietnamese hybrid.

There are many, many others in Asia but at least we are doing better and better.

Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,969Gear list
Like?
It would be worst: came to Brazil to know true tragedy!
In reply to dpreviewprov, Feb 24, 2012

All prices are absolutely crazy for any standards. With all respect I cannot believe you are even near to this case.

Regards,
--
O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer

Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds . Franklin

ChinaM43User
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
In reply to dpreviewprov, Mar 1, 2012

It seems that they were being selective and choosing for example foods that are more plentiful in North America, like potatoes and putting them on the list. Still the list I saw indicated something more like twice as much as the US. It happens that a smaller market is going to lead to higher costs. In any case, I could make the same ridiculous but true type of claim about China vs. Australia. For example I could say that food costs more in China than Australia and make such a chart

Item Cost in Australia Cost in China
Bread 1 AUD 7 RMB
Brand name Chocolate bar 1.5 AUD 15 RMB

From my chart above, China pays 25% more for food in the supermarket than Australians! The outrage!

ChinaM43User's gear list:ChinaM43User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 808
relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
In reply to ChinaM43User, Mar 1, 2012

How about a 16gig Sony pro HG duo memory stick .
B&H America $46.00
Australia $100-150

I don't mind someone making a profit but I do mind getting ripped off.
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2

YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: Australians pay up to 14 times more for everyday items...

I'm surprised that nobody here has blamed it on the United States yet . . .
--

Denver, Colorado

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,911Gear list
Like?
Why ? We raise world class thieves and robber barons here,
In reply to YoHahnMD, Mar 1, 2012

second to none.
I give you the Murdochs.
It might come as a great shock to most Americans,
but average Aussies have a lot of time for the Yanks.
What they don't get,
is the great Aussie tradition of hanging it on your mates,
it takes a trip over here to really learn that.

So, not to quit show business;
why is your International postage so outrageous ?
We get get free post on $5 bits from most Asian online vendors,
yet B&H for example, (via UPS) will run us $70 bucks to get a body here.

-- hide signature --

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: They're all bananas....
In reply to AnandaSim, Mar 1, 2012

This is "Open Talk". Do you really need an explanation of why one can post this topic here?

AnandaSim wrote:

dpreviewprov wrote:

Sad...but true.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/consumer/article/-/12982759/australia-s-pricey-prices

Not sure what this has to do with cameras or photography? The news article doesn't provide fodder for camera price comparisons and this is beat up topical news to feed the nightly local affairs, current affairs news on TV between competing channels for slow news days.

And there's no simple "we'll bring back Kevin Rudd and he'll solve everything" value either. Each price difference may be composed of standard factors (small volume sales, large transportation distances, high salaries) or it may be due to policies.

We had the banana trees blow down. We blocked bananas from being imported for protectionist and postulated plant disease issues. We raised the price until it was like gold. We replanted. And guess what? We replanted the same crummy, tastesless variety of bananas. There is a whole diversity in banana styles, tastes, texture. But all I can get in Oz is the same tasteless banana that I used to get before the scarcity.

My two cents. Make it 5 cents - they're about as useless as 2 cents nowadays.

AnandaSim
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 1, 2012

snake_b wrote:

This is "Open Talk". Do you really need an explanation of why one can post this topic here?

Yeah. It's also a photo website. One can post anything here. Would help others key into context though.

fz750
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

I live in Switzerland and after having seen the price table in this article I only wish I could have Australian prices

Kevin

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to AnandaSim, Mar 1, 2012

Most forums of any theme or focus have an area where people can get together and speak off topic, you know. Just don't read the thread? I'm sure there are about 10,000 other threads or more photo related for you, but for some reason, your focus was ironically on the one that you believe has no place on this forum?

AnandaSim wrote:

snake_b wrote:

Yeah. It's also a photo website. One can post anything here. Would help others key into context though.

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,722Gear list
Like?
Re: Why ? We raise world class thieves and robber barons here,
In reply to Ron Poelman, Mar 1, 2012

Ron Poelman wrote:

We're always looking for the best value for our customers. For shipping that's a combo of price and reliability but if we have to opt for one over the other, reliability will win every time.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,911Gear list
Like?
Understood Henry, but the flipside is
In reply to henryp, Mar 1, 2012

reputable stores like B&H are losing a fair chunk of change
in International markets to less savoury storefronts.
Most Aussies who have heard of B&H would much rather
deal with them than most other alternatives.
You are not unknown here (we have the interweb and everything!).

Unfortunately when the hip pocket nerve has been twanged
to screaming point, people make strange decisions,
especially when freight swallows a fair slice of any potential benefit.
A bit of quid pro for overseas buyers to offset freight
might well bring the bottom line some welcome movement.
After all, your pricing is already adjusted to cover "free" local freight.

-- hide signature --

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,624Gear list
Like?
Ruddy Cavendish bananas...
In reply to AnandaSim, Mar 2, 2012

...but so many people won’t eat anything else.

The Lady Fingers have been bred up to huge size ... and lost their taste. And so on and so forth.

BUT I am happy to have at least one agricultural sector getting a bit of protection. We do want to continue to feed ourselves, don't we?

Come visit PNG with me some time, Ananda, and see the wonderful bananas there, straight off the tree (well, herb!). But then, you've seen the same proliferation in banana types elsewhere.

The car one is a hoot. Small cars aren’t taxed as luxury items, only big cars. Not big family cars, big expensive cars -- expensive before the tax.

Cost of house building? Nah! Might be the same per square meter but developers only build stupid giant houses now -- and families are half the size or less than they were when I was a nipper.

Mince? Mince what? Standard mince in Oz is topside. That's quality beef.

But yes, we are ripped off in the food retail sector. That's because of distance, etc., etc., but also because we have two chains dominating the supermarket sector -- about 40% of it each. They compete around the edges, of course, but they both know they can’t push over the other one.

The joke about the cost of retail space is that an Australian company is the biggest retail space owner both here and in the USA.

There are other factors, of course. Cinema -- of course it is cheaper in the USA, Canada, UK, etc. Those places are seriously C-O-L-D for much of the year. Most of Australia is not, so all those cinema seats are actually empty most of the time -- people are doing stuff outdoors.

That's how come we have the highest skin cancer rate in the world.

Oh dear!

Look at camera prices though. There's not much difference between Australia and the USA.

But of lot of stuff in that report is plain wrong or the comparisons don't bear examination in detail. That is not a highly credible program. Not even lowly credible. Or credible at all, really. Mostly, if they make a statement, you can be fairly sure the opposite is true.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,624Gear list
Like?
When you said "body", you did mean camera body, I hope, Ron?
In reply to Ron Poelman, Mar 2, 2012

Ron Poelman wrote:

second to none.
I give you the Murdochs.
It might come as a great shock to most Americans,
but average Aussies have a lot of time for the Yanks.
What they don't get,
is the great Aussie tradition of hanging it on your mates,
it takes a trip over here to really learn that.

So, not to quit show business;
why is your International postage so outrageous ?
We get get free post on $5 bits from most Asian online vendors,

Actually, I bought my E-PM1 from B&H -- but it was largely a matter of timing. it wasn't yet offered in Australia and I had to be off and away on a trip a couple of weeks before I could be sure it would be here.

A couple of months later, after I had returned, I traded up to an E-PL3 with kit zoom and 40-150 zoom bought from Digidirect in Sydney for about the same price as B&H was offering it for.

It varies, but generally the cameras+standard lens offerings are much the same here, but extra lenses, flashes, etc., are higher priced.

The thing to do, though, is to look at the real cost of living here in Australia. Free medicine and hospital for everyone ? Yes! Wages much better than the USA. Stay in a hotel in the US and the maid is paid $8/hour. Stay in a hotel in Oz and the maid is paid $15.95/hour. AND has better working conditions overall.

Supermarket workers get a moderately reasonable wage too despite the efforts of their employers to screw them blind. That adds to the real cost of goods a bit.

Then there's the support for people out of work. They get money to live on.

At that rate, of course, we can afford to pay a dollar extra here and a dollar extra there.

That's not to say that the social safety net isn't better in Sweden (IKEA is moving some production from Sweden to the USA south because pay and working conditions are so desperately awful there -- its labor component is about a third or a quarter of what it is in Sweden, see http://www.joebageant.com for some pretty pithy comment on that stuff), but we do pretty well on a lot of measures.

And it's not frozen.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads