Canon Rumors CLAIMS this is the final specs.

Started Feb 22, 2012 | Discussions
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?
Canon Rumors CLAIMS this is the final specs.
Feb 22, 2012

"5D Mark III/X

Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.

Specs

22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD
Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

So this pretty much confirms what we’ve been saying for a while now."

Ok, so how many people believe this (I do), since it fits the images, but, does anyone else think $3500 is WAY TO MUCH?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?
Re: Canon Rumors CLAIMS this is the final specs.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Feb 22, 2012

I believed it and will buy it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Camera Dog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?

Any guesses on FPS?

Hard to imagine needing 61 af points without a high FPS.

Jon_Doh
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?

If that's true then that not only will keep Canon in the game vis a vis Nikon, but in my opinion push them ahead. 36mp is just too much right now. The 5DII has great resolution and enough pixels for a lot of cropping, but what it was lacking in was an antiquated autofocus and meter system. These specs promise to rectify those shortcomings while hopefully pushing the ability to shoot at higher ISO's upward.
--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Jon_Doh's gear list:Jon_Doh's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Jon_Doh
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
In reply to Camera Dog, Feb 22, 2012

I think I read it would shoot at 6.9 fps.
--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Jon_Doh's gear list:Jon_Doh's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: Believeble, but....

I guess it will be 4.3 fps, to not harm the sales of the 1DX.

22MP and 7FPS is just too close to the 1DX and would hurt sales of the 1 series too much.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
rambarra
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to Just a Photographer, Feb 22, 2012

Just a Photographer wrote:

22MP and 7FPS is just too close to the 1DX and would hurt sales of the 1 series too much.

hurt sales? canon will just not care. The new camera will sell in hundreds thousand units/year vs. 80k units of the 1DX
what is better for them?

rambarra's gear list:rambarra's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
Darrell52
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344Gear list
Like?

$3500 is way too much for me at present. My 5D Mkii works just fine. But then again, my Mkii was way too much about a year before I bought it. Somehow I adjusted back then and there's a chance I will again.

Darrell52's gear list:Darrell52's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +7 more
MASTERPPA
Like?
In reply to Just a Photographer, Feb 22, 2012

Maybe, but I am bettering the AF in the 1Dx will still be a better for sports.. I bet their take something out the 5DIII/X that sports shooters really needs.. OR they are just better hard core spots shooters who shoot the Olympics and large events will just pay 3K more for 5-7 more FPS.. But I bet the AF in the 5D will be a little weaker in some form.. But the perfect Wedding Camera and video camera.. I bet the low light from this camera will be SICK. I hope 2 stops better then the 5DII, but I would settle for 1.5

I just think the price is still HIGH. It think it needs to be $3000. The camera is on the same level as the D800, so why not truly match them..

jgb
jgb
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,505
Like?

These specs do not tell many of us the info we might need to make a decision. I personally don't care about how many focus sensors; the current system works just fine for me. If this camera does not have much better DR, and no pattern noise, I don't care if it sells for even as little as $2000. At $3500 I can't see it at all. Lets wait to see whether this is a warmed over 5Dii, or whether it truly is significantly improved. I am getting ready to be disappointed.
--
Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jon_b

MASTERPPA
Like?
In reply to jgb, Feb 22, 2012

As a wedding shooter, my biggest 2 problems with the 5DII are addressed in this camera. 1) AF 2)one slot (no backup)

The only thing is the price seems a little higher. But I think I realize what Canon is doing, they are using this a gap filler between the 5D and 1D.. This camera really should be a 3D.

I have a 1DIII and a 5DII.. I really want to replace the 1DIII more then the 5DII
This camera would at a cheaper price then a 1DIV, ect..

jgb wrote:

These specs do not tell many of us the info we might need to make a decision. I personally don't care about how many focus sensors; the current system works just fine for me. If this camera does not have much better DR, and no pattern noise, I don't care if it sells for even as little as $2000. At $3500 I can't see it at all. Lets wait to see whether this is a warmed over 5Dii, or whether it truly is significantly improved. I am getting ready to be disappointed.
--
Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jon_b

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,021
Like?
In reply to Jon_Doh, Feb 22, 2012

Jon_Doh wrote:

36mp is just too much right now.

Why?
--
Bob

cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 662
Like?
If it's true, the sensor will be CRIPPLED

MASTERPPA wrote:

Specs

22mp
61pt AF

It would be ridiculous if Canon designed TWO brand new sensors with near-identical resolution and near-identical noise performance to be release simultaneously. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Unless... one of the sensors was artificially crippled and/or manufactured under much lower standards. That is the one and only way this makes any sense.

And that is the ONLY reason why I'm hoping this 22 MP rumor is false. I don't mind the 22 megapixels, but I'm very wary of this coming out alongside a 18 MP sensor for the flagship model.

1Balance
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?

MASTERPPA wrote:

Ok, so how many people believe this (I do), since it fits the images, but, does anyone else think $3500 is WAY TO MUCH?

I believe it; these specs keep floating to the top of the rumor pile. And the more I thought about it, a baby-1DX makes more sense than reduced content. Hopefully we'll get some of the other rumored specs as well - 6.9 fps, improved DR & ISO/Noise performance (maybe a full stop improvement? hey, it could happen :))

As far as price, although disappointing, it's no more overpriced than the Mk II super teles, the new IS wide primes, 24-70 II or nearly every new product Canon has announced over the past year. I'd say $3,500 is right in line with Canon's pricing everything about 15-20% more than I am reasonably willing to pay. Anyone want to start a pool how much the new (rumored) 590 EX will be? I'm guessing $699+.

I had this dream that Canon would surprise us with a $4,500 5DIII / 24-70 II kit. Looks like I'm about $1k too low, bummer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs in the real world. In the mean time, my 5DII still works.

Cheers,
GT

-- hide signature --

Lyin' Pete used to do this all by touch...

1Balance's gear list:1Balance's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +9 more
cm71td
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?

MASTERPPA wrote:

I just think the price is still HIGH. It think it needs to be $3000. The camera is on the same level as the D800, so why not truly match them..

+1

It really seems that Canon wants to trade places with Nikon, both in price and market share.

That $500 extra dollars would sure help offset the cost if I decide to sell my Canon lenses and buy Nikon ones

MASTERPPA
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Feb 22, 2012

36mp is just too much right now??? Huh

Unless the noise if really bad, but I like being able to crop A LOT if I had to.

bobn2 wrote:

Jon_Doh wrote:

36mp is just too much right now.

Why?
--
Bob

MASTERPPA
Like?
In reply to 1Balance, Feb 22, 2012

If that new flash is 600-700, I will NOT be buying it.

1Balance wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

I believe it; these specs keep floating to the top of the rumor pile. And the more I thought about it, a baby-1DX makes more sense than reduced content. Hopefully we'll get some of the other rumored specs as well - 6.9 fps, improved DR & ISO/Noise performance (maybe a full stop improvement? hey, it could happen :))

As far as price, although disappointing, it's no more overpriced than the Mk II super teles, the new IS wide primes, 24-70 II or nearly every new product Canon has announced over the past year. I'd say $3,500 is right in line with Canon's pricing everything about 15-20% more than I am reasonably willing to pay. Anyone want to start a pool how much the new (rumored) 590 EX will be? I'm guessing $699+.

I had this dream that Canon would surprise us with a $4,500 5DIII / 24-70 II kit. Looks like I'm about $1k too low, bummer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs in the real world. In the mean time, my 5DII still works.

Cheers,
GT

-- hide signature --

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,099
Like?
In reply to Jon_Doh, Feb 22, 2012

Jon_Doh wrote:

These specs promise to rectify those shortcomings while hopefully pushing the ability to shoot at higher ISO's upward.

Having fewer pixels does not imply that it will perform well at high ISO. High ISO performance is measured per unit area of the sensor. At best, the two cameras should be on a par, whether Canon releases a 22MP camera or a 45MP camera.

MASTERPPA
Like?
Re: If it's true, the sensor will be CRIPPLED
In reply to cs hauser, Feb 22, 2012

No, it makes perfect sense, because a huge market for the 5DII was videographers..

A Sony EX1R HD camcorder costs $7000 (I own one)

The video from my 5DII Kills my EX1R except in ease of useability.

22MP better downsize to HD video..etc..

BUT I will bet the low noise of the flagship 1Dx is going to be much better then their cheaper 5DIII with its slightly slower AF..

cs hauser wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

Specs

22mp
61pt AF

It would be ridiculous if Canon designed TWO brand new sensors with near-identical resolution and near-identical noise performance to be release simultaneously. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Unless... one of the sensors was artificially crippled and/or manufactured under much lower standards. That is the one and only way this makes any sense.

And that is the ONLY reason why I'm hoping this 22 MP rumor is false. I don't mind the 22 megapixels, but I'm very wary of this coming out alongside a 18 MP sensor for the flagship model.

1Balance
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
In reply to rambarra, Feb 22, 2012

rambarra wrote:

hurt sales? canon will just not care. The new camera will sell in hundreds thousand units/year vs. 80k units of the 1DX
what is better for them?

+1 this. 1DX is the halo product. For the pros that need it, 7fps is NOT a substitute 12 fps. 5DIII with 7fps would not significantly impact 1DX sales, but IMO 5DIII with only 4fps would create much bitchin&moanin and be less competitive vs. the D800.

Also, people are not buying the 1D for just fps; the 1D build quality will crush the 5D.

5DIII will be a baby 1DX in every dimension - less build, slower fps, smaller size, (slightly) hobbled AF, etc.

-- hide signature --

1Balance's gear list:1Balance's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads