Started Feb 22, 2012 | Discussions
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
G1X at Pop Photo.com
Feb 22, 2012

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/02/tested-canon-g1-x

Conclusion:

"Has Canon created a viable alternative to interchangeable-lens compacts? We say yes. The improved image quality compared with compacts is drastic enough to make the G1 X a serious competitor to ILCs.

The tough decision comes when you look at the $800 price tag. Ultimately, the question is whether you want to deal with swappable lenses. If so, you can buy Panasonic’s Lumix GX1 with its standard 14–42mm f/3.5–5.6 kit lens for the same price. If not, the Canon PowerShot G1 X makes a lot of sense, and the images you get are worth the extra money over the Canon’s S100 or the G12."

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
linzybel
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X at Pop Photo.com
In reply to snapshot09, Feb 22, 2012

That's a pretty emphatic statement about the image quality. So for most of us it'll come down to price. I'm very tempted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to linzybel, Feb 22, 2012

As much as I like the camera, I still don't like editorializing reviews. I am going to buy it unless some new information reveals a big flaw, but I know my dad wouldn't pay the extra money to go from his G12 to the G1 X.

That review was little strange to read, but at least they tried to present more facts than opinions.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,674Gear list
Like?
In reply to howardroark, Feb 22, 2012

Sounded like a pretty good & fair review to me. It's coming home.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Retro Joe
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
In reply to linzybel, Feb 22, 2012

Too bad the lens itself wasn't tested at various settings. Still, resolution quoted seems to be indicative of a decent quality lens.

I would like to see a study done at 28mm - 40mm as that's where I will be shooting. This review has me giving serious consideration to making the G1-X my carry everywhere camera.

-- hide signature --

Joe
Central Florida

SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,899Gear list
Like?
In reply to howardroark, Feb 22, 2012

Understandably, the review sites are having a hard time determining which existing cameras to compare it with. The G1X has the image quality and price of the mirrorless systems with kits lens, but the body and speed of the G12/P7100.

howardroark wrote:

As much as I like the camera, I still don't like editorializing reviews. I am going to buy it unless some new information reveals a big flaw, but I know my dad wouldn't pay the extra money to go from his G12 to the G1 X.

That review was little strange to read, but at least they tried to present more facts than opinions.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
In reply to Retro Joe, Feb 22, 2012

Yeah, I think the problem some of these reviewers are having is what do you compare it to? Many have compared it to the G12 and P7100, but those are not really direct competitors.

For now, Canon has a class of their own.

Retro Joe wrote:

Too bad the lens itself wasn't tested at various settings. Still, resolution quoted seems to be indicative of a decent quality lens.

I would like to see a study done at 28mm - 40mm as that's where I will be shooting. This review has me giving serious consideration to making the G1-X my carry everywhere camera.

-- hide signature --

Joe
Central Florida

joharis
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X and macro

Another review complaining about the lack of macro capability of the G1 X, comparing it to the G12 or P7100.
But for macro they must compare to 4/3 or APSC (comparable sensor size).

As far as I know there is no 4/3 or APSC camera that can focus closer than 20 cm within the 28-112mm equivalent focus range. Without a specific macro lens of course. Or do I miss something?

joharis's gear list:joharis's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
cab337
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?

Tempted to ditch my 60d + 15-85 for the g1x.

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
In reply to cab337, Feb 22, 2012

Yeah... I know what you mean. The lens/sensor combination on the G1X seems to produce some very high resolution numbers. It works very well. I thought the review was well done and quite honest. The 60D with a 15-85 is no slouch either.

cab337 wrote:

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,674Gear list
Like?

I completely understand this temptation....will see how my use of various cams becomes...and may do something like that too.

cab337 wrote:

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
wilerty
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?

I may have the same temptation with my 60D & 15-85. But not until I've used the G1 X for a while ...

wilerty's gear list:wilerty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Retro Joe
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?

do it, I have repurposed my E-3 14-54mm and ordered it. Join the club.

cab337 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe
Central Florida

Nudibranco
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
In reply to joharis, Feb 22, 2012

You can certainly focus closer than 20cm on 4/3 and M4/3 land as well as other APS cameras that have the ability to change lenses (all the way down to the lens surface for that matter). However in a compact kit lens similar G1X there are less choices.

The real problem with this camera is that it seems to have the minimum focus distance for the larger focal length at 80cm or so while most kit lenses on M43 keep the distance quite close and hence have better magnification.

The G1X seem indeed to have an Achille's heel in the MACRO area. It cannot change lenses and its maximum magnification seems small (even with addon lenses).

I am waiting to see some practical and real worls reports on this.

Nudibranco's gear list:Nudibranco's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
firefox23508
Contributing MemberPosts: 753
Like?
In reply to snapshot09, Feb 23, 2012

I was really excited about this review until I happened to read Pop Photo's Panasonic GX1 review ... that camera seemed to best the Canon G1X by a fair margin, at least in lines. The Panny tested 2530 lines at ISO 160 while the Canon showed 2310 at ISO 100. The Panny delivered 2480 lines at ISO 800 and the Canon 2300 at ISO 800.

I was expecting the Canon to easily beat the Panny GX1. I do not exactly trust Pop Photo's truthfulness so I will wait for the final review on DPR but if these numbers hold out, perhaps I will rethink my desire for the Canon G1X or wait to see what Sony offers in their rumored fixed zoom lens camera with APS-C size sensor.

I am OK with my current camera so I can afford to wait to see how this all shakes out--its going to be an interesting year with lots of small camera/big sensor competition!

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,060Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nudibranco, Feb 23, 2012

Nudibranco wrote:

You can certainly focus closer than 20cm on 4/3 and M4/3 land as well as other APS cameras that have the ability to change lenses (all the way down to the lens surface for that matter). However in a compact kit lens similar G1X there are less choices.

The real problem with this camera is that it seems to have the minimum focus distance for the larger focal length at 80cm or so while most kit lenses on M43 keep the distance quite close and hence have better magnification.

The G1X seem indeed to have an Achille's heel in the MACRO area. It cannot change lenses and its maximum magnification seems small (even with addon lenses).

I am waiting to see some practical and real worls reports on this.

Best macro I could get with add on 250D lens.

But these are uncropped.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
nolten
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
In reply to cab337, Feb 23, 2012

cab337 wrote:

Don't ditch your dslr, supplement it. Use it to replace your 15-85 lens. Then you can have a 10-22 or 60 macro or 70-200 or even a 100-400 on your 60D and use the G1X for the standard zoom stuff. That's how I've used my Gs.

Have to say the more image tests I see of this camera the better it looks. I love my G10 for what it is, so a G with the IQ of an APS C sounds great even if it has the focus speed and frame rate of the current Gs.

Regarding macro. Its a big sensor, the standard zoom can't do it. I've resigned myself to an extra $200 for a 250D close up filter. The good news is you get the bayonet filter adaptor and its seconds to attach to the front of the lens. Same with a polarizer. So I'll need two of the filter adaptors. ... And then the underwater housing - eek! an expensive upgrade coming.

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,060Gear list
Like?
In reply to firefox23508, Feb 23, 2012

For me, as an owner of both, the GX1 is sitting on the shelf at the moment.

I really should get out with it more though, but my experience of using it for street photography (which I like) has not been good.

firefox23508 wrote:

I was really excited about this review until I happened to read Pop Photo's Panasonic GX1 review ... that camera seemed to best the Canon G1X by a fair margin, at least in lines. The Panny tested 2530 lines at ISO 160 while the Canon showed 2310 at ISO 100. The Panny delivered 2480 lines at ISO 800 and the Canon 2300 at ISO 800.

I was expecting the Canon to easily beat the Panny GX1. I do not exactly trust Pop Photo's truthfulness so I will wait for the final review on DPR but if these numbers hold out, perhaps I will rethink my desire for the Canon G1X or wait to see what Sony offers in their rumored fixed zoom lens camera with APS-C size sensor.

I am OK with my current camera so I can afford to wait to see how this all shakes out--its going to be an interesting year with lots of small camera/big sensor competition!

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,872Gear list
Like?

I don't know how large you print; but you'll be hard pressed to see a difference between 2300 and 2500 lines of resolution at any size. That's about the last criteria I'd use to select a new camera.

For years, my DSLR was a 20D or 30D (8 MP) with resolution of maybe 1600 lines, and they produced some of my best prints, even with a good bit of cropping.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?

Not sure why you would expect that G1x to beat the GX1 on resolution? The GX1 is using a 16M sensor that is considered good. You have to expect higher resolution.
Honestly i believe that the G1x and GX1 are fairly close in IQ.

firefox23508 wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads