Sigma 50mm f1.4 + 7D (6 images)

Started Feb 20, 2012 | Discussions
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 3,620Gear list
Like?
Sigma 50mm f1.4 + 7D (6 images)
Feb 20, 2012

Went to my nephew's birthday party this weekend and shot the entire thing with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 on the 7D @f1.4 the whole time using Single point+expansion in AI Servo.

It basically never missed, the only blurry ones were from too slow a shutter a couple of times and when something cut in front just before I took the shot, only a handful of shots were bad out of 150 or so. I was shooting 8fps as well and just ended up with tons of similar shots all in focus.

I just thought I'd put up a positive story about this lens and it's focus performance for once.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
psebi
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 50mm f1.4 + 7D (6 images)
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Feb 20, 2012

The photos are soft for my taste, but I like the bokeh on some of them.
--
http://sebbastian.blogspot.com

psebi's gear list:psebi's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439
Like?

I think they are very good in terms of focus....I think you were concerned about demonstrating the lens focus capabilities......in the real world 1.4 should be sharpened but only just a little !

amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660
Like?

Not sure what the OP is looking at because the whole image is soft.

Erik Gordon
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?

Keith... Not trying to burst your bubble here, but those are not very sharp pictures at all. Very soft actually... These should certainly not be taken as what that combination is cable of - as they are very far from it.

Keith Z Leonard
Like?

That's why I love this forum....there's just no joy here. These are all well focused, which was the point, most of these are at ISO 2000+ with some NR, I don't expect tack sharp from this lens at 1.4 @2000+ after noise reduction and very little sharpening.

But thanks all the same people...go be joyless.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Erik Gordon
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Feb 21, 2012

Keith, I share your frustrations with these forums - they can be needlessly brutal.

However, at least in my case, that is certainly not my goal. I own both the Sigma 50 and the 7D and are more than aware of not only what they're capable of, but also their shortcomings. And given all of this, I can (in a purely constructive way) tell you these images are poor at best. Look at the last shot, there is absolutely nothing in focus at all - and I'm only looking at the reduced size version. The full size image would be even more telling.

Again, I know the 7D gets "mushy" at high ISO and I know the Sigma 50 can be not-the-best focuser... but please don't convince yourself these are acceptable images. If this is as good as it gets with your combo, there is a problem somewhere.

The 50 gets the praise it does because it is tack sharp in the center of the frame at 1.4 - and I've taken hundreds of frames proving that to myself. Not a single one of your images shows that.

Not trying to be mean... hope you recognize that.

Keith Z Leonard
Like?
In reply to Erik Gordon, Feb 21, 2012

Well, I disagree, you can see where it locked focus and it's where it was intended, thus the point of the topic. You can show off your ISO 3200 f1.4 images if you like, I don't even care. The idea that these images are "unacceptable" is laughable, unacceptable to who? To you? Then don't look at them, that's your choice. I find these perfectly acceptable. You run and gun after 3 years old is terrible light and do better, if you can BULLY to you!

I find these not only acceptable but surprisingly good given the conditions, thus the post. If you don't, fine, but don't expect that to change my opinion in any way.

Damoo
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?

Good shots to prove the Sigma 50mm f1.4 cud focus better than whats being perceived. Also u mentioned its single point expansion on the 7D.

Without much PP especially over sharpening, I like the images for the focus achieved in them especially subjects like kids who are always involved in some movement.

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
oodle
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

well said..

for some people including me whats consider sharp is when i can capture the moment and getting good separation betwen the object and background as i can see in those photos, but for some others will only call it sharp when they can see those tiny little hair on the nose or ears

those are good result keith, i find it a bit hard to use sigma at 1.4 on moving object but you've done it well

oodle's gear list:oodle's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Erik Gordon
Like?

Yikes, Keith... Thank you for reminding me why I don't post in these forums. There are two types of people here - the needlessly mean (like I said in my last post) and the incredibly thin-skinned.

Here's what I was trying to say, one last time. First, I was saying nothing at all about you as a photographer. However, what I was saying is that you took these pictures using what is about $2k worth of gear (give or take). After spending that much money, you should get far better pictures than that. They are soft, and all but one must be misfocused (and by that I mean that the point the camera decided to focus on has no significance to the picture whatsoever).

The kind of shots you took are challening because of many reasons:

• Quick moving kids are always tough (as a parent and a photographer, nobody knows this better than me).

• A large aperture makes the first point even more true

• The Sigma 50 can have below-average autofocus, especially at close distances.

• The 7D's autofocus is quite complicated, and few take the time to understand it.

• The 7D can get mushy at high ISO.

So you have all of this working against you. But even still, you should have been able to pull off better shots - and I'm not even talking about composition yet - which would be a whole other post.

Look - if you love the images, then that's great! But if you post photos to this forum, or any other for that matter, you have to be able to handle a little criticism. The signal-to-noise ratio here is absurdly low, unfortunately. Accept that and deal with it how you see fit.

garmon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068
Like?

I think your right about the images, but to me they are perfectly acceptable especially in the environment it was shot in. As for publication, i'm not certain about that. My curiosity here is the the Sigma lens. I wonder if the OP said if it was the Canon 50/1.4 and I wonder how many praises he would get here. I see too many times the rampant "fanboy" love of any canon lens in this forum.
--
Canon 7D / 50D (40D premature death. Long Live Canon)
CANON
70-200/2.8 - 135/2.0 - 100/2.0 - 85/1.8 - 35/2.0
SIGMA
EX 50-500 - EX 120-300/2.8 - 18-200OS - EX 18-50/2.8 II - EX 50/1.4
EX 10-20
TOKINA 12-24/4 (for sale1) - TAMRON 28-75/2.8, 17-50/2.8 - Samyang 8/3.5
KENKO Pro300 2XTC - 1.4XTC

Atoche
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
In reply to garmon, Feb 21, 2012

I have the sigma 50 1.4. I am on the fence on this lens... I get consistant front focus (see squirrel picture)... I almost always AF - then manual adjust. This is at f1.4 - where I leave the lens 90% of the time... Most of the time I am in spot or evaluative metering, with AI Servo with this lens...

this squirrel picture is consistant with what I get when I do not grab the focus ring and manually adjust focus. I guess I could open up to f2.0 or 2.2 - but why have 1.4 lens?

I am considering a MFA, but I am a newbie and I don't want to futz up my camera so I live with the manual focus adjustment for now. When I hit the focus, this lens is quite sharp.....

in this example below, I am dead on the squirrels eyeball - the FF behavior is typical of my copy/camera combination.

Love the bokeh

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +9 more
Erik Gordon
Like?

Ha! Yes... I'm sure you're right. There are even some major websites out there that suffer from the disease of "Canon-Can-Do-No-Wrong." The most obvious of which is the-digital-picture.com... He has TONS of valuable information there, and it is one of my go-to sites for info, but Canon could sell a rock with a red ring around it for $4000 and he would say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Again, I hope everyone here realizes my intent... All I was trying to say is that the combo he used is capable of SO much more than these pics. That's all!

Have a good day.
-e

Erik Gordon
Like?
In reply to Atoche, Feb 21, 2012

Yup... seen this a million times. Here's my two cents:

Unfortunately, the Sigma 50 (albeit amazing optically) can really give some out-of-focus shots. I suggest you run yours through the ringer to see if it has a problem.

Secondly, after doing exhaustive tests with the 7D, I have found that it will sometimes focus on the "easiest" part of the frame, not the intended part. What I mean is this... if you look at your squirrel shot - there is all those shells on the ground. There's lots of contrast, etc... making this very easy for the camera to lock focus on. I have seen my 7D focus on these kinds of areas, instead of the intended subject, time and time again.

Lastly, have you opened the image in Canon's software to see where the focus point is? If it is indeed on the squirrels eye, then there is a focus error somewhere in the mix. When I had my 7D serviced, I actually brought my laptop with me to show them how the focus point of the image was completely out of focus... Once I showed them this, I got an "ohhhh" from the service guy and a week later I had a 7D back in my hands that has absolutely spot-on focusing.

garmon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068
Like?

4000$ with no IS, that's outrageous! should be no more than 3500$...... If I wait long enough they may add it to the Loyalty Program.

Erik Gordon wrote:

Canon could sell a rock with a red ring around it for $4000 and he would say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Have a good day.
-e

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D / 50D (40D premature death. Long Live Canon)
CANON
70-200/2.8 - 135/2.0 - 100/2.0 - 85/1.8 - 35/2.0
SIGMA
EX 50-500 - EX 120-300/2.8 - 18-200OS - EX 18-50/2.8 II - EX 50/1.4
EX 10-20
TOKINA 12-24/4 (for sale1) - TAMRON 28-75/2.8, 17-50/2.8 - Samyang 8/3.5
KENKO Pro300 2XTC - 1.4XTC

Erik Gordon
Like?

HA! Exactly.

Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
is this considered sharp?

especially the 2nd pic looks terribly soft

Keith Z Leonard
Like?
In reply to Erik Gordon, Feb 22, 2012

And I disagree, so there ya go, not sure what you are confused about, I think it performed admirably given the conditions. You are free to disagree, but coming here saying "you should do better" isn't in any way constructive. These are "run and gun" shots in terrible lighting with a camera that isn't particularly known for it's noise performance, I was just impressed with the differences in the lens focusing with expansion on vs single point.

Of course you are denigrating me as a photographer, you are basically saying the work is crap, well good for you! I personally disagree and have no reason to give your opinion any more credit than my own.

Damoo
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
Re: is this considered sharp?
In reply to Matt, Feb 22, 2012

Its about the 'focussing' capability of the sigma 50mm @ f1.4 that the OP points out. Even in situations like these (ill lit, moving subjects), the lens did achieve decent focus.

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads