Like?
Girl on railroad tracks
Feb 20, 2012

prl105
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Girl on railroad tracks
In reply to With All My Heart, Feb 23, 2012

assuming you want some feedback on this.

first of all this is a nice image, but i notice you have plenty of iso, exposure and aperture to play with, so it remains a nice shot.

if your chosen style is B&W, then you have even more latitude to push the image, so start by pushing your exposure by a couple of stops towards 1/500-1/1000 sec, then open up the aperture to further reduce the depth of field, leave the iso and focus on her eye's.

your looking here to push more of the foreground/background out of focus, if this isn't happening, get in tighter to your subject.

next think about composition, in this image the sunlight is to the right and behind her, so her features are in the shade, so think about reflecting/bouncing light from a reflector onto her face to really bring the image to life. you can achieve similar with a flash too, but diffuse it and snoot it to control the spread and intensity of the light, also your looking to punch a little catch-light into her eyes for that bit of sparkle.
let us know how you get on, would be nice to see your development.
--
PRL

prl105's gear list:prl105's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S60 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OldSchoolNewSchool
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
In reply to prl105, Mar 19, 2012

I agree with prl105's comments. The only thing I might add is that she needs a wee bit more "breathing room" in front of her. But it is a fine shot.

Robert
--
My state of confusion has turned into a circle of confusion.

OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list:OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Resul83
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to With All My Heart, Mar 24, 2012

if the viewpoint is a little lower- you could have caught the tracks converging to the top - might have added a good prespective

Resul83's gear list:Resul83's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED
Photographically Speaking
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Resul83, Apr 23, 2012

I agree with some of the comments already made and add; not sure that using the railroad tracks as the setting for this shot constructs the best presentation of the girl. For me, the tracks by themselves can be interesting, a girl on a train might be too, but, a girl sitting on the train rail just strikes me as, "Why is she sitting there?" and "I wonder when the train is comming?" But that's me.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,903
Like?
In reply to With All My Heart, May 4, 2012

Isn't she supposed to be tied down, with a huge steam loco heading in?

mmullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to With All My Heart, May 21, 2012

I agree, the image would look better if the camera were held level.

Also, it looks like a filter might be degrading the image. If so, take it off.

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Harry Sinniah
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
In reply to mmullen, May 31, 2012

My suggetion to you would be try and get more light on the subjects face, that will make this picture pop. This could have been achieved with a fill in flash to get rid of the shadows, to using post processing and clearing the shadows from the face...

Harry Sinniah's gear list:Harry Sinniah's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads