Pentax K5 Prime

Started Feb 19, 2012 | Discussions
PabloMather
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Pentax K5 Prime
Feb 19, 2012

I have just ordered a new Pentax K5 with the 18-55mm kit zoom and am looking to buy a fast prime lens to go with it. My normal usage would be family, portraits, landscapes with occasional close-ups of flowers and inanimate eye-catching objects. I would also like to be able to play around with decent bokeh and only have a limited amount of funds left in my piggy bank (hence the kit zoom). This seems like a fairly long list of requirements and I am not sure such a lens exists. Your comments and assistance would be welcome though!

PabloMather's gear list:PabloMather's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
henning kraggerud
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
Re: Pentax K5 Prime
In reply to PabloMather, Feb 19, 2012

PabloMather wrote:

I have just ordered a new Pentax K5 with the 18-55mm kit zoom and am looking to buy a fast prime lens to go with it. My normal usage would be family, portraits, landscapes with occasional close-ups of flowers and inanimate eye-catching objects. I would also like to be able to play around with decent bokeh and only have a limited amount of funds left in my piggy bank (hence the kit zoom). This seems like a fairly long list of requirements and I am not sure such a lens exists. Your comments and assistance would be welcome though!

Congrats,K5 is a fantastic camera.

probably shoot with the kit zoom for some time,and then look how often you use it close to 50mm and close to 30mm etc

I love Sigma 30mm 1.4,fast focus,icredible sharp in the middle,also wide open,more so than FA 50mm 1.4 and DA*55mm 1.4. Sigma is often a steal,especially used. Get very mixed criticks,but personally I am not bothered by lack of sharpness at edges.

DA 55 is weather sealed and virtually silent,but twice as expensive and slower focus by quite a bit.

Sigmas 50mm 1.4 is much cheaper,weighs a lot,not WR yet.

If all is to expensive and you can wait ,there is supposed to come a 50mm 1.8

-- hide signature --

lowlight macro ir

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pcarfan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

Pentax DA 35/2.4
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

kim_hdr
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

a cheap prime : DAL 35mmF2.4

or get a manual lens in auction market !

citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?

ditto. Pentax 35mm 2.4.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
henning kraggerud
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
In reply to citrontokyo, Feb 19, 2012

depends of course what you consider fast.

if weight is not so important,and 2.4 is fast enough,why not go for a used sigma 24-60 2.8 or tamron 28-75 2.8 could be not so far away from a new pentax 35mm in price if you are lucky. I would still go for a 1.4,but it might be less important for you.

citrontokyo wrote:

ditto. Pentax 35mm 2.4.

-- hide signature --

lowlight macro ir

PabloMather
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
In reply to citrontokyo, Feb 19, 2012

Would it be worth trying to stretch to the Pentax Limited 35mm F.2.8 Macro?

PabloMather's gear list:PabloMather's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Michael de Ruijter
Contributing MemberPosts: 840
Like?

Might I recommend the M 50mm f1.7?

I know it's a manual lens (manual exposure and manual focusing, but it does have focus confirmation). It's excellent optically, and also helps to get your fingers into the nitty gritty of photography fundamentals.

EDIT: Should be able to pick one up for between $45 - $65.

-Mike

Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,175Gear list
Like?

PabloMather wrote:

Would it be worth trying to stretch to the Pentax Limited 35mm F.2.8 Macro?

That would have been my 2 cents worth

OP said " family, portraits, landscapes with occasional close-ups of flowers and inanimate eye-catching objects.

Pete

-- hide signature --

K-5 some Len

NotSteve
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?

I'm no expert, only having had my K5 (first DSLR) for less than a year, but...

If you want to buy a new lens, then I think cost and image quality wise, you can't beat the Pentax FA 50 1.4. One of the cheaper lenses in the current line-up. The wide aperture will enable very narrow depth of field. In terms of focal length, on a crop sensor, it will be equivalent to 75 mm, which, people say, is a good focal length for portraits. Mininum focus distance is 25 cm, re: closeups.

I have found my copy of the lens to be sharp at all apertures. However, what I do notice is that at the widest apertures, there is some kind of ghosting/chromatic aberration that makes things look at first glance. By 2.0, it is gone.

If you want a shorter length, then in terms of the cheapest in production Pentax lens, you are looking at the 35 mm 2.4 like others have mentioned. I haven't used this personally, however.

If it were me, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 looks nice and all, but the price, at least new, is way too much for what you get in my opinion. (I am extrapolating from North American prices -- I note that you are in the UK).

If price is your main consideration, then I think as used manual lens will be the best way to go.

Lastly, don't discount your kit lens. I won't have the narrowest depth of field, but you will be able to get a lot of mileage out of it.

In terms of manual lenses, you can visit the Pentax Forums site and check their lens database for Pentax and third party manufacturers, so you can get an idea of what is out there and what you might like:

http://www dot pentaxforums dot com/lensreviews/

(replace the "dot" with a regular ".")

NotSteve's gear list:NotSteve's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,506
Like?

My most-used lens is my DA35/2.8 macro. I use it for all the subjects in your list. Despite all that, though, it's not the lens I'd recommend for you.

Entering the world of primes on a budget I'd go with a few others here and recommend the DA35/2.4. It does everything the 2.8 macro does except really close-up macro work, doesn't risk focus-hunting and I think it has slightly better bokeh. Some people have suggested old MF primes but it takes practice to MF quickly for some subjects.

35mm is really too short for true macro work: but macros are usually better focused manually anyway, so you might think of your second prime being an old MF macro in any length from 50mm up.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,582Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Feb 19, 2012

I'm in total agreement with Gerry's recommendation for your given situation/wants/needs. I think that others' recommendations for a 50mm-ish FL lens will be too long for many of your needs. 35mm is a nice "middle of the road" FL.
Daryl

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Entering the world of primes on a budget I'd go with a few others here and recommend the DA35/2.4. It does everything the 2.8 macro does except really close-up macro work, doesn't risk focus-hunting and I think it has slightly better bokeh. Some people have suggested old MF primes but it takes practice to MF quickly for some subjects.

35mm is really too short for true macro work: but macros are usually better focused manually anyway, so you might think of your second prime being an old MF macro in any length from 50mm up.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

-- hide signature --

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak. " - Daniel Whitney (aka Larry the Cable Guy)

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +4 more
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to DarylK, Feb 19, 2012
 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
rsatter
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to PabloMather, Feb 20, 2012

I agree with the DA 35/2.4 being a great option. I recently picked up a used F 50/1.7 for a reasonable price and really enjoy it. The 1.7 comes in handy very frequently for my uses and it is very useable wide open.
--
http://www.satterwhitephotography.com
http://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/riansatterwhite

"Perhaps the time has come to cease calling it the 'environmentalist' view, as though it were a lobbying effort outside the mainstream of human activity, and to start calling it the real-world view." - Edward O. Wilson

rsatter's gear list:rsatter's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Alexandru Guja
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to PabloMather, Feb 20, 2012

I recomand the 90 mm F2.8 from Tamron. You will not regret the investment!
--
Alexandru Guja

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,490Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alexandru Guja, Feb 21, 2012

the tamron is what i was thinking too, or a pentax 100 macro (new or used depending on budget).
it's nice to have a longer lens too!
--
-----------------------------------------------
Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
moji
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to PabloMather, Feb 21, 2012

The cheapest fast prime lens (2.8) you can get for your K5 is Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro. My advice to you: first of all do not buy a second hand lens as your most important lens! They are after all used and you are not sure what condition they really are inn. Specially Ebay lenses are most unsure items. When you have gathered the lenses you want you may but some off Ebay as well.

The sigma lens I mentioned is very well built, also has a metal mount which I believe is very important. The focus is not the fastest but indeed very good and usable indoor with running kids etc. It has a very good IQ and very sharp lens as well. The only drawback compared to Pentax lenses is that the Sigma is a bigger lens, but it fits K5 very well. As I mentioned it is a macro lens as well.

When you are considering a fast lens, you will pay a lot of money for a 1.4 lens. I have two manual 50 mm f1.4 lenses of good quality but I believe the 1.4 is not a very much usable aperture anyway. The DOF is extremely thin out there.

John Cal
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
In reply to moji, Feb 21, 2012

The 40mm da is my choice for portraits giving 60mm on APSC . its also a great general purpose lens. I think that's the reason the K-01 has the 40mm XS as the first Prime available with this new K0-1 MILC.

I have the Tamron SP 90mm and find it very sharp, but not sharper than the Da 40mm. The Da 40mm locks focus much faster than the Tamron. I only keep the Tamron for macro work.

Go the 40mm da it works best for me.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads