A600 rumour to good to be true

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,753Gear list
Like?
LOL
In reply to PierreChris, Feb 17, 2012

The "source" of the rumor is Carl Garrard. I stopped reading after that ..

It's BS ... trust me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike_2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,635Gear list
Like?
Re: A600 rumour to good to be true

Crappy pentamirror OVF, again? No thanks. It's only a few enthusiasts who care about an OVF now, and they will not be impressed by a pentamirror system. Yet another mistake for the OVF-cameras, if true.

Why is it so hard to copy the D90, one of the most successful cameras of all time? Compact but with a good quality pentaprism, for a fair price.

If true this simply prolongs the agony of the transition to DSLT. Do OVF well, or don't do it at all.

-- hide signature --

IQ is not judged exclusively by high iso noise performance

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
mike_2008
Like?
Re: LOL
In reply to ET2, Feb 17, 2012

ET2 wrote:

The "source" of the rumor is Carl Garrard. I stopped reading after that ..

It's BS ... trust me.

Fair point. Carl is totally unobjective in his hatred of the SLT and fanboyism for the A580, so making up a rumour of this kind is consistent, just to put smoke in the eyes of potential dslt users.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
ET2
ET2
Like?
In reply to mike_2008, Feb 17, 2012

mike_2008 wrote:

Fair point. Carl is totally unobjective in his hatred of the SLT and fanboyism for the A580, so making up a rumour of this kind is consistent, just to put smoke in the eyes of potential dslt users.

The rumor is a "lie". Just one more pathetic attention grabber, like he has been doing for the past 5 or so years with his exaggerated reviews and weird PMS like mode swings.

Also, read the specs of "a600". Knowing Carl and all his views and stunts (I remember everything), he HIMSELF wrote those "specs" (his wish list) for A600 -- deliberately done in a way to get the most attention.

The guy is pathetic.

mike_2008
Like?

Time will tell. There is no question about the source, so if the A600 does fail to materialise it will be be the end of carl's reputation, no question about that. You can't go around making BS like this up and get away with it with ones credibility intact.
--

Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295
Like?

mike_2008 wrote:

Time will tell. There is no question about the source, so if the A600 does fail to materialise it will be be the end of carl's reputation, no question about that. You can't go around making BS like this up and get away with it with ones credibility intact.

Wonder if he is banned here, usually he posts here to get traffic to his site.

ET2
ET2
Like?

ET2 wrote:

Also, read the specs of "a600". Knowing Carl and all his views and stunts (I remember everything), he HIMSELF wrote those "specs" (his wish list) for A600 -- deliberately done in a way to get the most attention.

Let's look at his "specs"

-Larger brighter OVF than the A580 (still penta-mirror, cost savings) at .92x magnification “w/data overlay” @ 97% coverage

-Similar live view system as the A450 (away goes the second sensor and mechanisms that cost extra money), more traditional main sensor live view with faster contrast detect AF than previous Sony DSLRS, this time for all lenses

He has posted these wishes in various ways over the years.

-updated 18.4 mp APS-C CMOS sensor

Here he shows his hatred for the 24 MP sensor, and comes up with a newer made-up number that is lower than 24.

-up to 8fps capture with full metering and af capabilities (A580 could do only 5fps with metering/af)

8fps with AF is 7D/D300 territory for a DSLR and requires expensive mirror mechanism.

-Dual card slots (no specifics on type)

That he got from whining about A77 having one card.

-Silver and Black model (depending on territory)

He probably got that from K-5 that is sold in silver and black.

-New quieter mirror box mechanism and shutter

PROOF . Again, his wishlist item that he copied from K-5. If you have read his posts, you will notice he has mentioned this several times over the years (even when he briefly owned K-7 3 years ago). An independent source would have not even bothered mentioning this one.

-First curtain electronic shutter mode

Here he shows his stupidity. First curtain electronic shutter only makes sense on a liveview canera. On a DSLR, you have to move the mirror anyway (and shutter will open then). This doesn't make any sense on a DSLR, but he copied this wishlist from 5N/A77 without realizing it's a byproduct of a liveview where the sensor is already receiving light while you are composing with LCD/EVF.

-Moisture/dust preventive measures (but not moisture or dust resistant)

Again, a somewhat downgraded wishlist from Pentax

-Updated Quick Navi Menu interface (assume like A65′s which isn’t true quick navi like A900/etc.)

He has been harping about A700's Quick Navi Menu and why Sony never used it A550 for a 3 years .. so he put that in the specs/wishlist. This item by itself proves he wrote these specs. Another independent source would have not even bothered mentioning this one.

-Dual control wheels, rear is scroll and click type
-Due this year before fall

Unlucky for him that I was the first person to click on the the thread. Others would have fallen for this crap and the thread would have reached 150 posts

Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
Rumours and credibility...

mike_2008 wrote:

Of course, if it does turn up, somebody elses credibility might take a nosedive...

That is certainly true.

Regards,
Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?

On the second thought, those spec are too good to be true, especially 8fps and duo wheels. That's even better than A65. I don't Sony will do that. I am glad someone pointed out these obvious flaws.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Frenske
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,180
Like?

mike_2008 wrote:

Why is it so hard to copy the D90, one of the most successful cameras of all time? Compact but with a good quality pentaprism, for a fair price.

+1

-- hide signature --
The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?

Carl “Ulterior Motive” Garrard.

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,213Gear list
Like?
You have to have credibility first, for it to dive..wink wink (nt)
In reply to Mike CH, Feb 17, 2012
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
MarinoDiMare
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?

Canon has models with electronic first curtain.

MarinoDiMare's gear list:MarinoDiMare's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?

The only thing that gives it credibility is that it is not an A700 OVF replacement.

tom

JusLookN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,017Gear list
Like?
In reply to tom, Feb 17, 2012

I wouldn't give a flyin' flip where the rumors come from! But, if indeed it does show up in production, one's got my name on it! There's plenty of time for changes(VF) from rumor to production. And I'll make a decision if/when it shows up! But I definitely would be interested!
--
Glenn

I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +1 more
cmantx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246Gear list
Like?

mike_2008 wrote:

Crappy pentamirror OVF, again? No thanks. It's only a few enthusiasts who care about an OVF now, and they will not be impressed by a pentamirror system. Yet another mistake for the OVF-cameras, if true.

If true this simply prolongs the agony of the transition to DSLT. Do OVF well, or don't do it at all.

-- hide signature --

a friend let me take a look through the OVF of his D700. OMG what a differance from my a500 OVF. I know it's much more expensive but somewhere in the middle for a future camera from Sony would be nice. I've not used any of the SLT's to know if i would miss the OVF.

cmantx's gear list:cmantx's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony SLT-A57 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Photostyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
We most bring Walt aware of this A600 rumor

LOL, where are you Walt, would you buy a A600, I think so, probably two.

Phil Reese
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Feb 17, 2012

It does indeed seem too good to be true - heck even the A57 seems that way. If an A600 came out well below the price of an A65, I'd be quite tempted to pick one up as a partner to my A77. As it is I may have to consider an A57 as well.

Phil Reese's gear list:Phil Reese's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Feb 17, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

Wonder if he is banned here, usually he posts here to get traffic to his site.

Nope, he's still around, saw a post of his from an hour ago in the Sony batteries thread.

Wonder why he is ignoring this thread?

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads