XZ-1 and Manual Focus

Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions
Randyflycaster
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
XZ-1 and Manual Focus
Feb 16, 2012

Can anyone help me learning exactly how and when to use the camera's manual focus.

Thanks,

Randy

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kirppu
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1 and Manual Focus
In reply to Randyflycaster, Feb 16, 2012

In shooting mode press wheel controller to left, press info and choose MF. No you can manually focus pressing wheel controller up/down or turning it. Notice that the focus goes merry go around so you can't tell when it's on infinite focus and when it isn't.
When you're done focusing press ok or info button.

Neat trick is to AF and then change to MF, this way the focus point should be where the AF left it if the camera didn't refocus before changing it to MF.

MF is good for preventing focus hunting while shooting video, BUT if you want to change the focus you have to stop shooting and change focus.
--
Hobbyist member

Kirppu's gear list:Kirppu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kahming
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kirppu, Feb 16, 2012

I am eagerly awaiting my XZ-1 as I have taken the plunge and ordered one but as I have asked on a previous post, I was hoping that MF would tell me when I achieved infinity for shooting through glass. My sadly now dead Powershot S80 had a scale to work to and when shooting through windows, I always set MF to infinity to make sure I was focussed correctly. If the XZ-1 doesn't allow me to do this easily, I will be a bit annoyed as often, you cannot pre-focus in AF on a distant object. Anybody else got any experience of shooting through windows? Does AF focus on the glass rather than beyond?

kahming's gear list:kahming's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 Olympus XZ-1
Nibb31
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
In reply to kahming, Feb 16, 2012

I really wish there was a firmware update that included a proper scale for MF and for zoom length. That way you could set it to hyperfocal MF and forget about it for street shooting.

Alternatively, an automatic hyperfocal mode in the AF settings would be nice too. I wonder why manufacturers don't do that.

Arnoldus1942
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Nibb31, Feb 16, 2012

Manual focus is very tricky on the XZ-1. I like a firmware update that uses the lensring instead of the wheel or buttons on the back of the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads