Just played with the 1DX & 24-70 II

Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions
xerojay
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Just played with the 1DX & 24-70 II
Feb 16, 2012

I just came back from the CPS event in Toronto. Got a good play with the 1DX & 24-70 II. I'll share my impressions of both, rather than just the technical specs that we already know.

1DX:

More than anything, I was curious to try the AF in low-light. I had my chance. The light levels at the event were actually about similar to most weddings receptions that I shoot. I was really looking for low-contrast, low-light, hard targets for it since I really had a hard time with the 1DIV in these scenarios. In fact, I sold my 1DIV after a season of using it, and went back to the 5DII mainly because of this. The 1DIV was just wired to "give-up" a bit too easily when it came to low-light AF. I hit the threshold at most weddings, and was not willing to live with this...

...So I found my targets in other attendees of the even. The lighting was f2.8, iso25,600, between 40 to 300th sec, depending on where I aimed.

At first I was somewhat disappointed. It hesitated, and bobbed in & out a couple of times with each try. Though I should add that, unlike the 1DIV, it DID find it's target, just not what I would consider "D3s fast". Hmmmm..... Not good.

I decided to try-out the spot-focus, and killed the assist points; so I was now using a single spot AF...

Bam. Done. AF found it's target quickly and surely. Even with a REALLY tough target (a guy's black coat with no real high contrast articles, at the lowest light levels) it locked.

I played for a bit longer and decided that the AF in low light is at least on par with the D3s, and probably a bit better, but will obviously take some learning.

ISO/Noise:

I have been very skeptical about the "2-stop" claims. I'm no longer skeptical. I was mainly using the body at iso25,600, and to be honest, it truly felt like the 1DIV at iso3200 or better. I'm going to reserve verdict for RAW digestion, but I'll say this:

Before today, I was estimating a realistic 1-stop RAW advantage over the 1DIV. After playing with the 1DX, I actually feel like I would be surprised if it were "Only" 2-stops better, and that there's no way the iso improvement that I "felt" could only be jpeg... It really took me by surprise. We've heard other who have tried the 1DX say that iso25,600 looks ridiculously clean. It does.

Put another way, it would take a bloody lot of jpeg magic to make jpeg files look THAT much better than raw...

24-70 II:

Damn. The biggest surprise of the day. Now I need one. It was perfect. Literally. This thing will be more legendary than any other Canon lens.
Except for the price.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Todd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850
Like?
Very cool!
In reply to xerojay, Feb 16, 2012

I assume they did not let you use your own CF cards?

-- hide signature --

peace

-Todd Muskopf
High School Senior Portraits in Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)
http://www.muskopf.org

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Is this is the still the pre-production one?

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
cuol
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Re: Just played with the 1DX & 24-70 II

Thank you for your observations, we will take anything we can get! Any word about an adjusted price and is availability still March?

cuol's gear list:cuol's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
Pultzar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424
Like?

Exciting. I'm looking forward to RAW samples. I hope that they aren't simply applying NR to RAW images before passing them to the CF card in order to get the ISO gain. This might be nice for some things, but it would be bad for things like astrophotography where you actually take noise samples over time and use them to subtract the actual noise from your images.

jayson craig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
In reply to Pultzar, Feb 16, 2012

If that is what they are doing, you can almost be certain there will be a setting to either turn it off, or adjust the amount.

David J. Littleboy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,295
Like?
Tell us more about the 24-70 II

Please!

-- hide signature --

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

xerojay
Like?
Re: Is this is the still the pre-production one?
In reply to ScottieC, Feb 16, 2012

Actually... Good news on this front:

It went by ALMOST unnoticed, but one of the reps did point out (with a wink) that the bottom id panel had a three letter logo on it:

FCC.

They're being produced as we speak. I asked about the March timeline, and he said it is still on-schedule.

ScottieC wrote:

JohnnyRX7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,853
Like?

so the !DX can spot AF no matter the lens ? Not like the 1DIV that only does it with "some" lens ? Sorry I am trying to tell myself I dont need a 1DX so much, I did not even bother to read all the specs... I will miss the IV's reach.

as for the 24-70.... I'm sold on that already.
--
Johnny

Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,428Gear list
Like?
So there still not letting you use your own CF

If its in production and it supposed to be out next month but there still not letting anyone put there own CF card in camera.

Thats doesnt sound right to me. Are there high iso samples out yet. Only ones I saw so far are up to iso 800. Not that iam going to buy this camera it would maybe give an idea how well the next 5D might do.

Its way over do for some more samples unless I missed them. ISO 3200 and up. After all thats what this camera is all about.
--
http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm

Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Bassman2003
Contributing MemberPosts: 645
Like?

Thanks for the report. Sounds amazing that ISO 25,000 can be considered clean! We can use more positive information in this forum. For all the Jump to Nikon discussion I think most if not all want Canon to produce something good enough to keep them home.

xerojay
Like?
Re: Very cool!
In reply to Michael Todd, Feb 16, 2012

They actually didn't have any tape over the CF door. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was brave enough to snag some Raws today.

Michael Todd wrote:

I assume they did not let you use your own CF cards?

TheAe
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
1D X and 24-70 II

What is the advantage compared to the original 24-70?

And does focus really accelerate and slow down well also?

xerojay
Like?
Re: Tell us more about the 24-70 II
In reply to David J. Littleboy, Feb 16, 2012

It was perfect. I don't know what else to say. It was lighter and tighter. It focused insanely fast. Most importantly, it was ridiculously sharp throughout the entire frame, at any focal length. It has that same "contrasty micro-detail" look, similar to the 70-200 II. No fringing or softness in the in-focus area. It just made my 24-70 feel antiquated.

It just felt like you could pop it on a theoretical 80mp body and shoot wide open. Like even the 7D's sensor wouldn't break a sweat at 2.8.

You just know. Just like the 70-200 II, which until now had set the bar for me.

I actually started a thread last weak calling Canon "Out of their minds" for asking $2300 for this lens...
...(Tail between my legs) It's worth it. I'm going to order one tomorrow.

Also, I was told between 4 to 6 weeks before the absolute first batches begin to hit shelves.

Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

How did you evaluate the shots? Zooming in on the lCD?

Pultzar
Like?
Don't be so certain
In reply to jayson craig, Feb 16, 2012

There is no setting to disable the ISO gain which is applied for fast 1.4 or 1.8 lenses due to inefficiency of a sensor:

-Take an image at 1.4

-Rotate the lens slightly so that there are no longer electronic contacts (the camera doesn't know what lens is mounted)
-Take another identical image
-Notice that the first image is brighter than the second

xerojay
Like?
In reply to Peter 13, Feb 16, 2012

That's all we could do for now. Like I said, I'll reserve verdict for the Raw files. The camera's lcd and zooming in was obviously not conclusive, but believe me, when you really get used to a 1DIV, or a 5DII and then handle the 1DX, it's enough to give you an idea - especially when you're holding them side-by-side.

Peter 13 wrote:

How did you evaluate the shots? Zooming in on the lCD?

Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,491Gear list
Like?
Re: NR before RAW?
In reply to Pultzar, Feb 16, 2012

Pultzar wrote:

Exciting. I'm looking forward to RAW samples. I hope that they aren't simply applying NR to RAW images before passing them to the CF card in order to get the ISO gain. This might be nice for some things, but it would be bad for things like astrophotography where you actually take noise samples over time and use them to subtract the actual noise from your images.

How do you know that NR isn't already being run before writing RAW? Back in about 2002-3 the forum members were stunned to hear Chuck Westfall of Canon admit that some in-camera processing was done to RAW prior to writing to the CF card. This was not dark field subtract either. Is there any reason to believe that some processing doesn't occur? In the past decade memory of that concession has faded, but I have never heard Chuck say since that RAW has absolutely no processing whatsoever.
Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Pultzar
Like?
Digic 5
In reply to Mike K, Feb 16, 2012

"helps reduce noise"

Hence, NR is applied to raw files (unfortunately)

Alfonso Bresciani
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622
Like?
Re: iso 3200 on the 1D IV isn't clean
In reply to Bassman2003, Feb 16, 2012

iso 3200 on the 1D IV isn't clean, but it is usable, I actually dont like to using it but I use it wen I have to. So 12800 on th e1DX should be very nice then? I remember reading somewhere the the 1dx had imporved more on he jpgs than on the raws, how can that be?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads