Senior MemberPosts: 2,784Gear list
Like?
OM-D EM-5 not the "Pro" m43 body...
Feb 15, 2012

i thought it was.
linked from this thread
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=40623534
and copied from 43 rumor...

"Olympus: Olympus said that the Olympus E-M5 is NOT a professional camera while the Olympus E-5 is a professional camera. Don’t let’s discuss about when a camera can be defined as professional or not. What matters from a “rumor” point of view is that Olympus many times stated that they want to launch a professional Micro Four Thirds camera. And if they say the E.M5 is not THAT camera than we might can expect a launch of an even more advanced m43 camera by Photokina 2012."

the Pen line of cameras is an Olympus camera system in itself as is the new OM-D "unique" system starting out with the EM-5.
if all the above is true then there is yet to be a "Pro" m43 body to come.
will it be a Pen or OM-D?

So now Olympus has three seperate interchangeable lens digital camera systems. interesting...
4/3 system, Pen System, and now, OM-D system. that's a lot of systems
--
Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,167
Like?
Re: OM-D EM-5 not the "Pro" m43 body...
In reply to Paul Auclair, Feb 15, 2012

Well, "system" implies "stuff that can be used together", so there are really one-and-a-half systems: 4/3 and \mu 4/3. They share flashes, etc., and can to some degree share lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Auclair
Like?
In reply to Entropius, Feb 15, 2012

Entropius wrote:

Well, "system" implies "stuff that can be used together", so there are really one-and-a-half systems: 4/3 and \mu 4/3. They share flashes, etc., and can to some degree share lenses.

yes. that's the way i look at it too and thats' why i simply thought the new EM-5 was the Pro spec m43 body Oly has been talking about for some time.
however, according to Olympus'

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_omd.asp?section=camera&utm_campaign=omd_st&utm_medium=web&utm_source=olympusamerica.com&utm_content=oima_home_billboard_omd

"the Olympus OM-D Series is a new and entirely unique Micro Four Thirds camera system. It combines outstanding features found in the Olympus E-System DSLR line with those of the compact Olympus PEN® Series to meet the requirements of discerning photographers who demand more performance and portability from their interchangeable-lens cameras."

after reading all this (and some easy inbetween the lines reading) that i think otherwise now.

i'd say Olympus wants us to consider PEN, OM-D, and 4/3 as seperate systems. i am really not sure what's to gain for Oly but i am not an employee.

makes everything a little more interesting when stopping to think what Oly's Pro spec m43 (if not the EM-5 as good as it is [on paper]) body will be.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

CurtisLewis
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to Entropius, Feb 15, 2012

Entropius wrote:

Agreed.

And why can't the answer be that they don't want to detract from the E-5 as their current flagship camera? I mean it seems like simple business to me. Especially with all the doubters that they are going to continue to build 4:3. Who in their right mind would say that the new OM-DE-M5XYZ... is a pro level camera and not think that would immediately slow if not stop E-5 and 4:3 lens sales?

Not to mention the fact that they keep telling everyone there will be more 4:3. It makes sense to me to keep 4:3 going and keep it pro at this point. It also makes sense to release a "Pro Level" m43 camera along side (at the same time) a "Pro Level" 4:3 camera to maintain buyer confidence in the established 4:3 format.

Despite opinions I've read a lot here, not every "pro" wants to for-go the OVF for the EVF. Not every "pro" wants mirrorless. Olympus would be stupid to close the book on the DSLR at this point.

The sky is not falling.

-Curtis

historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 769
Like?

yes, it's really only one system with 2 lens mounts. I use my Ring Flash and FLs and 4/3 glass and many other Oly accessories on my EP2--but as far as lenses go, I cannot mount a 12mm F2 m.Z on my E3 (unless there is an u4/3 to 4/3 adapter I dont know about). I especially love my 30-year-old OM telephotos on both systems; wish I still had my 250 F2 > sniff

Ideally, if there is a 4/3 pro successor to the E5 I would look to some kind of universal mount that bought the two together w/o all the adapters. That, coupled with the 16MP sensor and T/P VI processor, would be so freaking cool. And more ZD HG/SHG primes. I dont ask for much haha

But I gotta have my OVFs. While the E-M5 is compelling, for my workhorse(s) I want OVF.

revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?

In another interview the Oly rep said that the reason E-M5 was not seen (by Olympus) as a "professional" camera was that such a camera had to be (even) more reliable. I think he implied the E-M5 although well built and also weather sealed, is still not built to the standard that the E-5 is....and that to be launched by Oly as "professional" the camera would have to be built at least to the physical standard of the E-5.

The E-M5 isn´t, thus, a "professional" camera, although it is well into profesional standards regarding its IQ, he also added.

From that to state that a probaly coming "Pro OM-D" would arrive at Photokina this year is to expect more than has been said by any Olympus representative. Of course, even if is WAS coming to Photokina 2012 they would not disclose that now anyway...

We will get a "Pro OM-D" in due time, that is for sure.

A more relevant question at this time is "are we getting a E-7 or will the "Pro OM-D", whenever it may arrive, offer what a E-7 would be expected to do? (read: autofocus all Olympus lenses "quickly and reliably")

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

CurtisLewis
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: Don't mind me, I'm just venting...
In reply to historianx, Feb 15, 2012

historianx wrote:

But I gotta have my OVFs. While the E-M5 is compelling, for my workhorse(s) I want OVF.

Yes! See what I mean? OVF wins the preference again.

Paul Auclair
Like?
i'm not very concerned if Olympus kills 43...
In reply to CurtisLewis, Feb 15, 2012

or keeps it going. if Oly keeps making "Pro spec" 43 bodies and each one has a significant (to my needs/wants) improvemnt on the prior I'll most likely keep buying them. If there never is to be another new 43 body I will live.
i've been pro-Oly since film days and have all Pro spec 4/3 DSLRs.

i'm well aware that Oly "killed" the OM line up. also all gurus said 4/3 was doomed before the E1 even hit store shelves.

my attitude with Oly's 4/3 DSLR system, from day one, has been "enjoy it, for what it is, while it lasts" and each new Pro 4/3 body Oly released was a pleasant and welcome surprise to me. i could still dream and wonder about what if stuff Oly could make.

never was interested in m43 for selfish reasons. i thought 'twas insultling of Oly to make toy cameras that were capable to put out IQ as good as the Pro spec full size bodies.

i knew 'twas good business sense for Oly to help create and dominate a market for 'toy' small cameras. the cross-platform AF issues and other stuff i never concerned myself with and do not know so much about.

the EM-5 has changed my mind about m43 and now i learn that there may be even a better m43 body in the works is pretty interesting. i now feel as though i will buy an m43 body and most definitely will if 43 dies off.
the sky is not falling (on me).

CurtisLewis wrote:

Entropius wrote:

Agreed.

And why can't the answer be that they don't want to detract from the E-5 as their current flagship camera? I mean it seems like simple business to me. Especially with all the doubters that they are going to continue to build 4:3. Who in their right mind would say that the new OM-DE-M5XYZ... is a pro level camera and not think that would immediately slow if not stop E-5 and 4:3 lens sales?

Not to mention the fact that they keep telling everyone there will be more 4:3. It makes sense to me to keep 4:3 going and keep it pro at this point. It also makes sense to release a "Pro Level" m43 camera along side (at the same time) a "Pro Level" 4:3 camera to maintain buyer confidence in the established 4:3 format.

Despite opinions I've read a lot here, not every "pro" wants to for-go the OVF for the EVF. Not every "pro" wants mirrorless. Olympus would be stupid to close the book on the DSLR at this point.

The sky is not falling.

-Curtis

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair
Like?
Oly has really made things very interesting indeed...

in a good way and i get a sense that the future for all Olympus format users is in good hands.
--
Thanks,
Paul

historianx
Like?
In reply to revio, Feb 15, 2012

as u4/3 is mirrorless, one really can't apply the E-3/5 150K shutter life benchmark to the OM-D, can they? Maybe they mean "professional" as relevant to u4/3?

Sure looks more robustly-built compared to the plasticky Lumix GH2 and G3...

I just want be able to mount the u4/3 PannyLeica 45 F2.8 Macro and 25 F1.4 to a 4/3 pro camera, lessen the lens bulk and weight, so to speak

...and a variable-aspect-ratio 6x6 > 50MP+ sensor coupled with the TP processor HA I dont ask for much. Samsung ; )

historianx
Like?
Re: Don't mind me, I'm just venting...
In reply to CurtisLewis, Feb 16, 2012

well, if O ditches OVFs and discontinues the pro line of bodies, that will mean (hopefully) that E-5 bodies will plummet to the level E-3 bodies are at now.

And I will feast at the table of bargains.... buy enough bodies to last me at fire sale prices until I die (or O stops support).

And if that happens, I will abandon photography altogether and start growing organic vegetables. Once an O shooter, always an O shooter--no compromises.

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless is not shutterless
In reply to historianx, Feb 16, 2012

historianx wrote:

as u4/3 is mirrorless, one really can't apply the E-3/5 150K shutter life benchmark to the OM-D, can they? Maybe they mean "professional" as relevant to u4/3?

The shutter is still present in the PEN / OM-D design. It is "normally open", however, and so works "backwards" compared to the shutter in an SLR.

What this means for reliability is unclear, but my guess would be that a shutter that is normally closed up (the curtain thus being "open") could be more susceptible to sticking. There is probably little difference, though.

The OM-D may use a cheaper shutter than the E-30 / E-x lines, and quite probably the exact same one as in the PENs.

Sure looks more robustly-built compared to the plasticky Lumix GH2 and G3...

I just want be able to mount the u4/3 PannyLeica 45 F2.8 Macro and 25 F1.4 to a 4/3 pro camera, lessen the lens bulk and weight, so to speak

...and a variable-aspect-ratio 6x6 > 50MP+ sensor coupled with the TP processor HA I dont ask for much. Samsung ; )

Yes, people certainly don't ask for much from their shiny gadgets... then they complain when they aren't significantly cheaper than the lesser offerings released nearly a decade back.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
JoannaK
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to CurtisLewis, Feb 16, 2012

CurtisLewis wrote:

And why can't the answer be that they don't want to detract from the E-5 as their current flagship camera? I mean it seems like simple business to me. Especially with all the doubters that they are going to continue to build 4:3.

We will see that. In many technical aspects the E-M5 is a way more advanced camera than E-5, and at the same time it shows a lot potential of Olympus designners and innovation. IMHO at the moment E-5 is keeping flagship status only due fact that there has not (yet) been any announcement of E-6.

What I see in EM-5 is the E-5xx/E-6xx replacement I hoped to see some years back. Ok, it does not do Pdaf, but othervice it's definitely looking like camera fit for HQ/SHQ lenses. It's weatherproof while lighter than E-3/E-5, and flexible to fit many uses.

One thing I wonder though is the battery type. I understand the need for BLS for pen-style tiny cameras, but this BLN? Ah welll, it's a minor detail, even though I wish they could keep the acessories compatible.

JoannaK's gear list:JoannaK's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads