PDF manual available - for me the ZS15/TZ20 is piece of junk

Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,377
Like?
PDF manual available - for me the ZS15/TZ20 is piece of junk
Feb 15, 2012

The PDF user manuals can be downloaded from:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/DMC-TZ20/Manuals/6914628/index.html?view=angle

There is no PASM mode in movies. Aperture and Shutter Speed are set automatically. My order is cancelled. I cannot use this toy.

Still photographic features look reasonably OK, though...

I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note phone. I will report back on what I manage to get out of its camera. If the ZS15 had aperture and shutter preferred I would have used it instead. Sorry about that Panasonic, your low-end cameras had better smarten up pretty quickly, IMO.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pixel_colorado
Contributing MemberPosts: 678
Like?
Re: PDF manual available - for me the ZS15/TZ20 is piece of junk
In reply to trevmar, Feb 15, 2012

You do understand who this camera is aimed...don't you?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trevmar
Like?
In reply to pixel_colorado, Feb 15, 2012

No I have no idea what Panny marketing was thinking.

I assume this camera is aimed at the average consumer, who already has a cellphone, and later this year will have an even better cellphone. If average consumer is an avid photographer, said consumer might spend the $4.99 it costs to buy an upgraded camera application, which allows PASM setting, along with other basic functions.

So, how exactly is Panasonic differentiating this lump of metal and plastic from the sleek 6 oz gadget already sitting in said consumer's pocket, I wonder...

A gadget that can already produce low-light 1080p video like this, which is not too bad, given that the cameraphone is already in my pocket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj2xx1YuRYM

Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,511
Like?

Wow! Pretty harsh indictment of what seems to be a pretty good camera.

Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,292Gear list
Like?

Trevmar:

According to the DP site, the ZS15 is the TZ25, not the TZ20.

The photo shows PASM on the function dial, but that may not be an option for movies. I don't know.

I would think that if you wanted that much creativity in videography, a point and shoot camera may not be your best choice. You should probably be looking at a device that is primarily a video recorder rather than a device that takes still pictures and oh by the way video.

One must define one's mission, then look for the piece of equipment that best suites that mission.

Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +7 more
trevmar
Like?
In reply to Jerry045, Feb 15, 2012

OOPs - maybe I have downloaded the wrong camera manual. Sheez... sorry about that...

Better keep looking for the TZ25, I guess... Pity I did actually cancel the order...

{hides embarrassed face}

pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?

a lot of cameras don't offer manual options for movies. it's not unusual, and for most users, it's not a problem. admittedly, i prefer all options for videos, but then, i'm not most users.

many camera users i see on the boards (or talk to in person) feel that simply having manual modes and extra enthusiast stuff on a camera makes it intimidating or confusing. my ex-sister-in-law (who's 51), our apartment manager (who's under 35), my granddaughter (who's 14) and my friend's son (who's 17) all made a point of buying a camera that didn't have anything that "confusing" on it. also i've overheard a few buyers at fry's recently looking for the simplest camera they could find.

it wouldn't suit me, but then camera companies make cameras for everyone, not just enthusiasts and pros.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
In reply to Jerry045, Feb 16, 2012

Very good point.

Jerry045 wrote:

Trevmar:

According to the DP site, the ZS15 is the TZ25, not the TZ20.

The photo shows PASM on the function dial, but that may not be an option for movies. I don't know.

I would think that if you wanted that much creativity in videography, a point and shoot camera may not be your best choice. You should probably be looking at a device that is primarily a video recorder rather than a device that takes still pictures and oh by the way video.

One must define one's mission, then look for the piece of equipment that best suites that mission.

Jerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads