Any reports of moiré patterns?

Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions
Richard Frederick
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
Any reports of moiré patterns?
Feb 15, 2012

A number of us use the GXR with the M mount module. This module is produced without an anti-aliasing (AA) filter. Others may use a Leica M9, also delivered without an AA filter. A few of us may have both (Godfrey), or some other non-AA model.

Have any of you users of non-AA cameras experienced moiré pattern problems?

For non-professional use I do not believe moiré pattern appearance will be a big problem, but I would like to hear from others. I have a Sony NEX-7 I intend to use exclusively with Leica M mount lenses and am contemplating having the AA filter removed. Also, if my grip on reality slips enough I may obtain a Nikon D800 which is available with or without the AA filter.

Any comments will be appreciated.
--
Dick Frederick

Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,170
Like?
Re: Any reports of moiré patterns?
In reply to Richard Frederick, Feb 15, 2012

I've seen ineradicable moire on certain patterned textiles with the Olympus E-5 but haven't yet run into subject matter which generates it with either the GXR-M or M9.

Something will, eventually, I'm sure.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?

May I ask why you bought the NEX7 if you want to use exclusively M lenses rather than getting the GXR which already has no AA filter and works much better with m lenses or the NEX5 which is also better at using m lenses instead?

To answer your question though, you can see moiré patterns in some cases with the GXR but it's never too bad.

Richard Frederick
Like?
In reply to VladimirV, Feb 15, 2012

I do have the GXR and a number of RF lenses for it. I got curious as to how the NEX-7 would work with these lenses, how the built in EVF works, and I want to go pixel peeping a bit.

Admittedly, this has nothing to do with common sense or with taking good photographs.
--
Dick Frederick

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

I find moiré in city-scape shots often enough but not so often or in such a problematic manner that I am unhappy with the system. Whether it'll be a problem for others depends on the subject matter more than anything.

Who are you planning on having remove the NEX-7's AA filter? I know another member here wrote a couple times to one company that has done this in the past and hasn't heard back from them with respect to his query about removing the AA filter from the NEX-5N.

Richard Frederick
Like?
In reply to sroute, Feb 16, 2012

I got this response, but have not yet acted on it:

I haven't tried that specific model, but don't anticipate any issues. Cost would be $450 + return S&H. BTW, for some reason, Sony uses very strong AA filters in the DSLR's so they will benefit more than typical APS cameras from Canon and Nikon.

Regards,

Dan Llewellyn
President
LDP LLC
http://www.MaxMax.com
220 Broad Street
Carlstadt, NJ 07072
USA

001-201-882-0344 Voice
001-201-882-0326 Fax

-- hide signature --

Dick Frederick

Jaur
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Article on the topic
In reply to Richard Frederick, Feb 16, 2012

I'm sure many of you have read it but I thought it would be good to link to the recent article about moire and the AA-filter on Luminous-landscapes.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_naked_sensor.shtml

Richard Frederick
Like?
Re: Article on the topic
In reply to Jaur, Feb 16, 2012

Excellent article. I had not seen it.

Thanks,
--
Dick Frederick

Sosua
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259Gear list
Like?
Moire example
In reply to Richard Frederick, Feb 18, 2012

This was the worst I came across with my 2 weeks with the GXR.

100% crop - with the CV 15mm. City was about 5km away.

Pretty obvious, but easy to fix in most cases.

I would prefer to occasionally deal with moire and have no AA filter - some won't.

-- hide signature --
 Sosua's gear list:Sosua's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads