Cut, paste and blend technique question

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions
corella45
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Cut, paste and blend technique question
Feb 14, 2012

I have a picture of a pine tree with dark sky as a background. I need to bring this pine tree to another picture with totally different sky color. How can I select the pine tree so that all individual needles are in and sky between them is out of selection? Or is there a way to roughly cut the tree with the old sky between the needles, paste it onto the new background and then blend the old and new sky leaving the needles intact?

Ronny Harris
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,644
Like?
Re: Cut, paste and blend technique question
In reply to corella45, Feb 14, 2012

It could be very difficult or very simple depending on the two images. Could you post them for us?

Ronny

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
corella45
Like?
In reply to Ronny Harris, Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for responding Ronny. I'll give you links to the samples of what I have (not mine but they look pretty much like my images)

The tree and old sky:

The background color of the second image:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBBFc8XQPyIpm577qjLfyxvZNb0JedLgbKgSO4Mbg3-9r-jlKO4Q

Ralph Ramirez
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,504
Like?

I don't know what software you have but I am using CS5 and the plugin Remask3 to extract the tree, added your new background, then used match color to let some of the golden color show on the tree. Also used Hue/Sat adjustment layer to desaturate some of the blue remaining from the extract.............Ralph

corella45 wrote:

I have a picture of a pine tree with dark sky as a background. I need to bring this pine tree to another picture with totally different sky color. How can I select the pine tree so that all individual needles are in and sky between them is out of selection? Or is there a way to roughly cut the tree with the old sky between the needles, paste it onto the new background and then blend the old and new sky leaving the needles intact?

Ralph Ramirez
Like?
A little bit of Topaz star effects...............nt
In reply to Ralph Ramirez, Feb 14, 2012

Ralph

Ralph Ramirez wrote:

I don't know what software you have but I am using CS5 and the plugin Remask3 to extract the tree, added your new background, then used match color to let some of the golden color show on the tree. Also used Hue/Sat adjustment layer to desaturate some of the blue remaining from the extract.............Ralph

corella45 wrote:

Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,078
Like?

Well, here is my try using PSPX4, which was somewhat involved. I first I split the image into the RGB channels and used the blue channel to make a mask. Then further refined the mask by using Highlights/Midtones/Shadows. I copied and sized the gold colored background and placed it beneath the original image and used the mask to extract the original blue background and expose the gold one. Once this was done, I used a hue map to remap the residual cyans and blues to green. Here is the result:

I realize that the result is not perfect and that others may very well do better, but I am quite pleased with my efforts. I probably should have increased the warmth on the tree so as to make it more plausible with the golden background.

Regards...Allen

Ronny Harris
Like?

Another way is to enter Layer Styles and use the Blend If slider for the Blue channel.

Ronny

rambler35
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?

This video has 3 tutorials. The second one demonstrates masking a tree in an image very similar to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrDGQdLCTA

(This is specifically to do with using Topaz ReMask 3 software.)

-- hide signature --

Richard --

Ralph Ramirez
Like?
In reply to Ronny Harris, Feb 14, 2012

Ronny,

You did that just using the blend-if slider without a mask? That is amazing..........Ralph

Ronny Harris wrote:

Another way is to enter Layer Styles and use the Blend If slider for the Blue channel.

Ronny

Ralph Ramirez
Like?

Hey Ronny, I just tried your method and couldn't believe how easy and effective that was without going through the masking effort. Thanks for that tip............Ralph

Ralph Ramirez wrote:
Ronny,

You did that just using the blend-if slider without a mask? That is amazing..........Ralph

Ronny Harris wrote:

Ronny

corella45
Like?

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for taking time to do that. I think this technique is quite suitable for casual adjustments. I am working on an artistic photograph that I want to submit as a contest entry so I need to blend images very accurately and make them look flawless even when zoomed in.

corella45
Like?
Re: A little bit of Topaz star effects...............nt

Nice effect! I like it. Thank you. Is it a plug-in with CS5?

Ralph Ramirez
Like?
Your way Ronny, 4 minutes top...............

Here is at most a 4 minute edit thanks to you Ronny, just added match color to belnd the sky color into the trees.............Ralph

Ralph Ramirez wrote:

Hey Ronny, I just tried your method and couldn't believe how easy and effective that was without going through the masking effort. Thanks for that tip............Ralph

Ralph Ramirez wrote:
Ronny,

Ronny Harris wrote:

Ronny

Ralph Ramirez
Like?
Check Ronny's technique below...............nt

Ralph

corella45 wrote:

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for taking time to do that. I think this technique is quite suitable for casual adjustments. I am working on an artistic photograph that I want to submit as a contest entry so I need to blend images very accurately and make them look flawless even when zoomed in.

corella45
Like?
In reply to Allen Gerdes, Feb 14, 2012

Thank you Allen for such detailed instructions. I'll try it.

Ronny Harris
Like?
4 Minutes! ...

What took you so long, Ralph? LOL Looks good.

Ronny

corella45
Like?
In reply to Ronny Harris, Feb 15, 2012

Wow! I never used Layer Style before. I am quite a beginner with PS. Now I know where to look for more advanced tools. Thank you!

corella45
Like?
Re: Your way Ronny, 4 minutes top...............
In reply to Ralph Ramirez, Feb 15, 2012

I am glad we all discovered some great techniques thanks to Ronny

corella45
Like?
In reply to rambler35, Feb 15, 2012

Excellent tutorial Richard. Thanks a lot!

corella45
Like?
In reply to corella45, Feb 15, 2012

I found this photo - and this is 100% what I need - following rambler35 post about Topaz Remask. Highly recommended!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads