Eye-fi card and Nex 7 question

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions
Christine Edwards
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
Eye-fi card and Nex 7 question
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone using this combination. I bought the Pro X2 eye-fi 8 Gb wifi today.
What a great product!

I placed the card in the NEX 7 and went to the setup menu. Eye-Fi setup is grayed out.

I set up the account on my Mac laptop and am now trying to set it up on the camera.

Any suggestions

Christine Edwards's gear list:Christine Edwards's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,051
Like?
Re: Eye-fi card and Nex 7 question
In reply to Christine Edwards, Feb 14, 2012

I have the same card in my 7 ... I transfered it from my NEX 3, just plug it in. If I remember correctly, you have to set it up from your laptop first, (on your home network), then plug it into the camera.
KarlT
--
Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Christine Edwards
Like?
In reply to Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D., Feb 14, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I did set it up on my laptop and successfully transferred the photos.

The problem is when I put the card in the camera- the eye-fi setup in the camera is grayed out- is this normal.
Is yours available for changing the settings.

The NEX manual says that " endless memory mode" is not supported so I have turned that function off.

I formatted the card after completing the setup on the laptop- not sure what to try next.

thanks

mikebinok
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?

For whatever it's worth, my Eye-fi card (Pro x2) works fine in my NEX C3. Eye-fi menu setting is NOT grayed out, and lets me turn wifi on or off. There is an Eye Fi forum on their website you might check out, or post at.

I'm interested in this, in that I have an NEX 7 on the way, and intend to use my Eye-fi card in it!

Do I understand correctly that this Eye Fi card works well in other cameras?

mikebinok's gear list:mikebinok's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +6 more
hoobury
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

I have an Eye-Fi Mobile X2 with my NEX 7 and the combination is working fine with my iMac. Transferring without problem.

I have a guess as to your problem. The Eye-Fi Setup bar on mine is greyed out as well. But that bar doesn't actually do anything but serve as a header. There's only one option under Eye-Fi for the NEX 7 and that's the next line which is Upload Settings. You have the option to turn that on or off.

The grey bar you're seeing is the last Section Header under Setup. Memory Card Tool is the 2nd to last Header. You get all the Memory Card Tool options under that Header, then hit Eye Fi Setup Header. Then the one option under that.

It's a bit confusing since it's the last option and if you scroll to quickly, it skips that Upload Settings and you start over again from the beginning.

You'll know the Eye-Fi is working b/c on the top left of the LCD screen, right next to the Shooting Mode Indicator, there's a small icon that looks like an SD card with a wifi symbol inside. That means the camera has detected your Eye-Fi card. Next to that symbol, if it's transferring, you'll see an animation that looks like an arrow being drawn.

If it's transferring files to your macbook, you should be good to go.

Happy Shooting.

toxotis700
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
In reply to hoobury, Feb 14, 2012

can you transfer your photos , from nex to iPad wirelessly ?

happypuppy
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to toxotis700, Feb 14, 2012

toxotis700 wrote:

can you transfer your photos , from nex to iPad wirelessly ?

Yes Eye-fi has an app but I prefer a 3rd part one that I believe is faster and works very well. It is called Photosync in the appstore on iTunes . They have a free Mac version on their website also

happypuppy
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to mikebinok, Feb 14, 2012

The eye-fi card I have used in a nikon P7100, 5n and an a65.

I got a message to explain how I use photosync ( the app) and the eye-fi card. The eye-fi card application transfers the JPG images ( I leave the RAW on the card) to my iphone or ipad. I then transfer from the ipad to my iphone with photsync. The app then uploads from the phone via Wifi or 3g to SmugMug or dropbox.

This allows me to avoid carrying a laptop and I can the delete the JPG images from the card. Hope this helps

sfoskett
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

I'm a long-time Eye-Fi user in my NEX-5, and am glad you asked this! I too am stepping up to a NEX-7 (whenever the kit ships...) and was wondering if it would work!

I was kind of disappointed by the Eye-Fi card, actually. I ended up disabling just about everything and just use it to transfer photos to the iPhone for Flickr upload. Here's my workflow:
http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/07/05/eyefi-wireless-card-reader/

Basically, the Eye-Fi noticeably affects my NEX-5 battery life and takes forever and a day to upload photos. It'll be even worse with 24 megapixel shots on the NEX-7! So I manually "Protect" photos for upload to the iPhone/iPad...

sfoskett's gear list:sfoskett's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
ExNewt
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to sfoskett, Feb 16, 2012

I use the Eye Fi essentially exclusively with Flickr. I do it only as I travel a lot, and family, friends and coworkers like to see shots of exotic locales like Bridgewater NJ, Tintagel UK, or Ahmedabad India.

I find the transfer speed very good; just yesterday 57 shots to iPad from NEX-5N at full resolution in about 8 minutes.

Note I use the feature (which must be enabled via Mac/Win laptop/desktop) to only transfer "protected" photos, as opposed to "all". This way only the ones I want get transferred.

I then use "FlickStacker" App to pick the shots to upload to Flickr. One can nename shots, create a set, change resolution, etc. etc. before uploading.

As the shots are lower resolution when uploading to Flickr, the upload times are pretty good; I always do this at the hotel's free WiFi.

But there's also one last trick. If you have an iPhone (and there may be Apps for other platforms) I have been keeping a GPS geolog with GeoLocTag. It is a bit of a battery drain, but assuming your camera and iPhone clock are within 1 minute, and you weren't driving 90 mph, the App can geotag pictures you just uploaded to Flickr (as well as a folder on Mac/Win, SmugMug, and Google+).

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
In reply to sfoskett, Feb 16, 2012

I used the Eye-Fi Pro X2 with my NEX5, but with the NEX7 I switched to a SanDisk Extreme card.

1) Eye-Fi card made it take longer for my NEX5 to turn on (from about .5 sec to about 3.5 sec).

2) transferring 15MB RAW files was sluggish -- so 25MB will be even sluggish-er.

3) the system architecture always bugged me a little -- I don't really like needing a "helper" app on the client PC, I think the card should act as a normal network client.

That all said, I kind of miss it -- especially for random snaps at home -- so I might give it another try.

Christine Edwards
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, Feb 16, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions.

I have not tried to use my Ipad to transfer files but will try this when I get home.

I stil have the Eye-Fi Pro -8 gb in my NEX-7 and the Eye-Fi setup is still greyed out- I cannot access it.

Underneath- it says- UPload setting and this is -On. Tried to turn it off but it wouldn't budge.

Maybe there is nothing in the Eye-Fi setup menu excpet the upload settings on the bottom?
The manual does not address this.

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
In reply to Christine Edwards, Feb 16, 2012

fyi, I just tried my Pro X2 card in my NEX7, and it did work fine. (And, in fact, the slower boot I get with it in my NEX5 doesn't seem to be a problem with the NEX7.)

hoobury
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to Christine Edwards, Feb 16, 2012

It's not greyed out. It's a header.

There is only one option. Upload On or Off.

tgelston
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
In reply to hoobury, Feb 22, 2013

I have mine and it is working like a champ BUT is there an easy way to protect photos?  I too use the selective photo transfer and it takes too many clicks to protect an image.  Can I assign a button to protect?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 tgelston's gear list:tgelston's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads