Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 PZD VC problem on Canon EOS 7D

Started Feb 12, 2012 | Discussions
naththo
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 PZD VC problem on Canon EOS 7D
Feb 12, 2012

Hi,

Has anyone else had problem with Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 PZD VC all purpose lens on Canon EOS 7D DSLR camera? I have some problem with that lens, especially focus quality, inaccurate focus and inaccurate aperture. When I looked through view finder it looks fine, but when I took the pic and uploaded onto PC, the focus was not very good at all even at smaller aperture of F8 or higher with good shutter speed and depth of field was fairly poor. I tried both VC on and off, no difference at all. I tried the other lens like my old Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 and it works fine with 7D, it came out sharper than the new one. I even tried out the Canon F1.4 50mm lens, no problem, also the Canon EF-s 10-22mm lens, no problem, rather sharp pic as a result to compare. So I am having difficult to figure out whether its my camera is faulty or the lens. I already got response from Tamron they reckon it should be sent back under warranty to get it fixed but I am not sure and ready to send it back yet until I find out more from here first. So can anyone please have a chance to post reply about this particular lens problem on Canon EOS 7D DSLR camera?

Please let me know. Thanks Nathan.

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
garmon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069
Like?
Re: Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 PZD VC problem on Canon EOS 7D
In reply to naththo, Feb 12, 2012

I had something similar with my Sigma 120-300. It constantly back focused. I brought it it 3 times for service with same result. I brought my 7D to the sigma service center and they still could not get the BF problem fixed. I tested all my lenses on my 7D and all were good except the 120-300. One day the 7D failed (shutter box failure) brought the 7D for servicing and when returned the problem magically disappeared. Lesson learned, stop giving weight to suggestions about sigma has bad quality control. To prove my point I bought a 50D and my sigma 120-300 is sharp on that body.

May I suggest to you, you try other lenses or try another Tamron lens at your local retailer and while your there, try your lens on another Canon 7D body
--
Canon 7D / 50D (40D premature death. Long Live Canon)
CANON
70-200/2.8 - 135/2.0 - 100/2.0 - 85/1.8 - 35/2.0
SIGMA
EX 50-500 - EX 120-300/2.8 - 18-200OS - EX 18-50/2.8 II - EX 50/1.4
EX 10-20
TOKINA 12-24/4 (for sale1) - TAMRON 28-75/2.8, 17-50/2.8 - Samyang 8/3.5
KENKO Pro300 2XTC - 1.4XTC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
naththo
Like?
In reply to garmon, Feb 13, 2012

Yes, Tamron new lens had worked very well with old Canon EOS 10D and it was very sharp picture. So it looks like it is down to Canon EOS 7D camera might be the problem to begin with and need lots of further test with various lens to try find an exact fault in it with different aperture, shutter speed, indoor/outdoor photos. Hopefully I will have results soon when I have chance to. I will let you know the result on here sometimes.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
garmon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069
Like?
In reply to naththo, Feb 13, 2012

Good luck, get it fixed soon, I know the frustration you feel with a problem like this.
--
Canon 7D / 50D (40D premature death. Long Live Canon)
CANON
70-200/2.8 - 135/2.0 - 100/2.0 - 85/1.8 - 35/2.0
SIGMA
EX 50-500 - EX 120-300/2.8 - 18-200OS - EX 18-50/2.8 II - EX 50/1.4
EX 10-20
TOKINA 12-24/4 (for sale1) - TAMRON 28-75/2.8, 17-50/2.8 - Samyang 8/3.5
KENKO Pro300 2XTC - 1.4XTC

naththo
Like?
In reply to garmon, Feb 14, 2012

Hi,

I haven't had time today to test lens but I have done test in evening but unfortunately bad weather approaching spoilt the chance to have it test at ISO 100 on tripod because of bit of movement from zoom in. All test have came out general fail mean the detail are not there as I was hoping for at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200. Auto noise reduction and high iso noise removal was disabled, standard colour mode, JPEG highest quality, vignetting correction and auto optimizer are all switched off, I used the tripod, took two photos each lens at two different focal length used the aperture priority, shutter remote used. Canon EF2.8L 70-200mm, took photos both 70mm and 200mm at F5.6, failed. Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 at 70 and 250mm, failed. Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 at 70 and 270mm, failed. I am disappointed with the test result. It is very let down and very frustrating. I will wait till tomorrow and it will allow me to take picture in broad daylight at lower ISO and see if it turns out better. I will also test with old Canon 10D for comparison. That will help me make a right decision which is faulty equipment and should be returned under warranty. I will keep it post about the result tomorrow. Nathan.

naththo
Like?
In reply to naththo, Feb 14, 2012

Hi,

I actually did sharpening and colour noise reduction in lightroom and saved as same high quality jpeg and then I blown it up, it looks a lot better when I process the software with sharpening, it does a better job than incamera sharpening. So far, Canon 70-200mm lens is the sharpest overall, Tamron 18-250mm came close to the Canon lens, but new Tamron 18-270mm is terrible quality still after sharpening was done with not much improvement, it looks like new Tamron 18-270mm lens is qualified for return under warranty. While my Camera of 7D is working fine. So I have decision that already being made with my father he helped me make decision, lens is going back to Tamron to get it fixed under warranty then when I get it back, I will retest it again and let you know further news. It might take a couple of weeks before I get the lens back. I had already contacted Tamron dealer in Aus who does those Tamron repair they are happy to fix the problem for me. Anyway thankfully the camera and two lens are fine. It got me worry and panic. LOL Cheer, Nathan.

AndreSerfontein
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to naththo, Feb 16, 2012

Mm, very sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have this lens and I am using it with a 600D. No problems. Look, to be honest it is not the sharpest lens. My 50mm f1.8 MK is what I use in comparison. Sharpness is on par, maybe better than my 18-55mm IS II. It is better than my 55-250mm kit lens.

But the PZD was bought to use as a general walk-around lens. The two lenses I use most are the PZD and a Nikon 24mm reverse mounted. (I love macros) Have a look at my pics on my blog in my sig if you like. From the start I knew it would not match L glass in sharpness but I knew it would be a fun and useful lens to use.

What I've learned (for the benefit of other readers):

a) Give the VC a second to kick in. My timing is now automatic.

b) Stay away from adding a UV filter or any other filter for the purpose of lens protection. I could see the drop in sharpness with average filters.

c) VC is good and I worry less about shutter speed at long focal ranges than with other lenses.
d) At max better sharpness can be obtained by pulling back to say 260mm.
e) VC when using a tripod is evil - stay away
f) Unsharpen mask in CS5 is my friend
--

Follow my experience with my new toys on my blogs at: http://tamron365.blogspot.com/
http://teach-me-photo.blogspot.com/

naththo
Like?
In reply to AndreSerfontein, Jul 11, 2012

I have received Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 PZD VC lens back from service. They have found faulty focus mechanical and all has to be replaced in the whole lens unit. Got it back. I tested it and found it was still okish but better than before when focus was not working. Still I am not 100% satisfied with it using Canon 7D camera. I will try the other camera and see how it turns out. I will post later on when I find out more whether it works better on other camera. It is fairly possible it is not compatible with Canon 7D. But I read another website forum last night that dozen of people have big problem with 7D camera, not just lens ie picture quality issue problem unfortunately. So I have learnt that 7D camera is very hard to learn to use compare to my 50D last time never had a single problem at all and was easy to use and never had a fault in it. I guess 7D might be totally different to XXD series. And I noticed 7D is totally different to 5D Mark II my dad got. My dad never had problem with his. So I find it very hard to understand why it is happening to only just this model 7D as it should never happen. By the way there is a firmware update coming up in August maybe it might magically fix the problem, who knows. I will wait for August I am not giving up. If it doesn't resolve. I will send 7D unit to canon and tell them please check everything make sure all are ok, no need fix I just want to be absolutely sure as a double check. If they find a single fault then they can fix it under warranty. Best luck to myself I guess. Hope someone have similar story to my in this forum not other forum.

Nathan.

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,182
Like?
In reply to naththo, Jul 11, 2012

Have you tried microadjustment?

naththo
Like?
In reply to tocar, Jul 11, 2012

Microadjustment helps a bit to -4 but not really satisfied with it still overall in picture quality with Canon EOS 7D. But if I do 35mm to 200mm on lens I set to in zoom, picture quality were better off compare to full zoom out at 18mm and full zoom in at 270mm were poor quality but 270mm was better than 18mm in sharpness. Thats not normal for this lens to perform like that. It is interesting though. Something new I learnt about how lens behave depend on design, construction of glasses, motor and etc. Good thing I already have Canon 10-22mm lens so I have that for wide angle while this new lens I use for zoom in at least. I still have got old one of 18 to 250mm works very well at all range of zoom from that to full zoom in. It is good to play with and find the best setting you find if you buy new lens, always check and play with and make sure it works well. Use every # of zoom, f stops and etc. Find the best one you can get. You will get great result no doubt if you know what you are looking for. Microadjustment only helps a bit it won't help a lot really it just a micro adjustment as a tiny adjustment. Anyway I guess I am still happy with this lens but I feel I should get rid of it and get genuine Canon lens next time that will always work well with this Canon 7D. My lesson is learnt.

naththo
Like?
In reply to naththo, Jul 11, 2012

Also this is very useful tool to compare lens:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=476&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=3&LensComp=492&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=3&APIComp=3

That is similar to Tamron PZD newest one. The old one on that website didn't have PZD, this new one I got is PZD. But it should be very similar in built lens they manufactured except the PZD one got PZD motor in it. I found Canon one wins overall.

naththo
Like?
In reply to naththo, Jul 16, 2012

Hi,

I have bit of good news. My camera seems to get the hang with this new lens better now. I am getting more satisfied with it. I have to use higher aperture number because this lens is pretty shallow in aperture so its good idea make it higher to retain much sharper pic. Every lens are slightly different so its good idea play around with setting and find the best. Also, zoom in pic came out nice and sharp which I really liked about. It probably won't be as good as my old Tamron but still, outstanding for all purpose still. I have no doubt that this lens still recommended to people who want all purpose lens. Even the old Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 LD IF was excellent quality and is recommended for all purpose but downside is missing from image stabiliser. I am going try save up for more better quality lens later time but would prefer to love buy the prime lens next time as I found are the sharpest in the world. I think its good fun to experiment with it. All is good and am satisfied. Regard Nathan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads