Challenge: Outside your comfort zone

Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions
LeeStar
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Challenge: Outside your comfort zone
Feb 10, 2012

Has been announced, so start planning now.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=6146

It's time for another more complex challenge. This one asks you to step outside of your comfort zone as a photographer, and take a photo of either something you dislike, or try out a style of photography and/or subject that you haven't tried before. This challenge does have a capture date rule, and you must tell in the description what makes your entry outside your comfort zone.

I did the challenge myself, and have posted my samples. For me, I've never been into marine or aquatic subjects, in fact I think I had one photo of a fish in all my years taking 35mm. So I spent the day at an Aquarium, a place I've never visited before. As per challenge rules, I briefly described my experience in the photo description area.

Have fun and good luck.

Lee

-- hide signature --

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art."
— John F. Kennedy

LeeStar's gear list:LeeStar's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C300 Kodak EasyShare Z650 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
RuthC
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
Re: Challenge: Outside your comfort zone
In reply to LeeStar, Feb 10, 2012

So do I really have to go out and take photos of cockroaches??? I'm very happy to photograph spiders, bees, bugs, even wasps if I'm careful... but cockroaches! UGH!

Or take a black&white portrait of a cat.... come on, this will send me off to see my friendly psychiatrist!

It will be an interesting challenge, but I think there will be a bit of cheating. (Perhaps I shouldn't have said I like shooting spiders, and enter one of these shots. No-one will know that I really don't mind those 8-legged creatures.)
Just not cockroaches, thanks very much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LeeStar
Like?
In reply to RuthC, Feb 10, 2012

RuthC wrote:

So do I really have to go out and take photos of cockroaches??? I'm very happy to photograph spiders, bees, bugs, even wasps if I'm careful... but cockroaches! UGH!

Or take a black&white portrait of a cat.... come on, this will send me off to see my friendly psychiatrist!

It will be an interesting challenge, but I think there will be a bit of cheating.

I think it's very clear that your subject needs to be roaches. Of course if someone wants to cheat in this challenge it would be hard to catch, but anyone who does is cheating themselves of the experience and I feel sorry for them. IMHO that doesn't show someone who's really serious about photography. Going outside our comfort zone and trying new things can be a great learning experience as well as help improve our skills as photographers. If some do it honestly and gain from the experience then I've accomplished my goal.

Lee

-- hide signature --

Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art."
— John F. Kennedy

Kodak EasyShare C300 Kodak EasyShare Z650 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

LeeStar wrote:

RuthC wrote:

Hehe, you'll just have to shed that UGH feeling, so as not to shake the camera in the moment of click.

I suggest the WALL*E movie for a (start of) therapy, there is one very nice roach playing a major role... and it's a nice movie, anyway... Hope it helps!

DK Baker
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?

It would be nice if you included the requirement that entrants must keep their exif data intact to meet the capture date requirement.

--
DK

DK Baker's gear list:DK Baker's gear list
Sony Mavica CD500 Nikon Coolpix L120 Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +3 more
DK Baker
Like?

Well - if you look in the entrants gallery and/or past challenge entries, and they have 25 other pics of a similar subject matter, then ....
... duh?

--
DK

Sony Mavica CD500 Nikon Coolpix L120 Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +3 more
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to DK Baker, Feb 10, 2012

LOL...yep, that would cinch it !

DK Baker wrote:

Well - if you look in the entrants gallery and/or past challenge entries, and they have 25 other pics of a similar subject matter, then ....
... duh?

--
DK

-- hide signature --

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life".

(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Slynky
Like?

I hate wedding photography. Secondly, I really don't like child location photography.

I've been hired to do both of those and it always gets on my nerves. I sweated like crazy at the wedding. And I'm nervous as heck on a shoot where the parent and child traveled to me for a day of shooting.

Maybe I should crash a wedding and announce I need to just take a few quick snaps for a DPR challenge?
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life".

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
RaptorUK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?

Yes, that should be a MINIMUM and enforced requirement. Even then it is not CHEAT proof . . .

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1044&message=40574653

DK Baker wrote:

It would be nice if you included the requirement that entrants must keep their exif data intact to meet the capture date requirement.

--
DK

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
DK Baker
Like?
In reply to RaptorUK, Feb 10, 2012

For sure!

However, I do think that the language thing (sorry, but bear with me here)
may be valid for the date thing -

It is confusing when you go to submit a entry and you get an error regarding "date needs to be after blah, blah date". I can see a non-native speaker thinking it just means you need to change the date on the submission form. (After all, the form does let you change it!!)

In that case, if the host DQ's them and explains the problem, then that person will, hopefully understand and not make the same mistake again. (Wishful thinking?)

Of the others, I'm hopefull that getting busted once will be enough for most of them to stop trying to get around that rule.

For the remaining - I'm going with the Joe Pineapples philosophy here - the few that feel compelled to cheat are not worth worrying about!

~ DK

RaptorUK wrote:

Yes, that should be a MINIMUM and enforced requirement. Even then it is not CHEAT proof . . .

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1044&message=40574653

DK Baker wrote:

--
DK

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

-- hide signature --

DK

DK Baker
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Feb 10, 2012

LOL!! I was totally thinking the very same thing ~

I hate the thought of photographing people.
(People are soooo critical!! Trees never object to my work.)

Heck ~ I photographed a goose pooping today, and he could have cared less.

Sigh ~ I guess I'm gonna have to find a willing victim to have me do a portrait shoot.

omg

Slynky wrote:

I hate wedding photography. Secondly, I really don't like child location photography.

I've been hired to do both of those and it always gets on my nerves. I sweated like crazy at the wedding. And I'm nervous as heck on a shoot where the parent and child traveled to me for a day of shooting.

Maybe I should crash a wedding and announce I need to just take a few quick snaps for a DPR challenge?
--

-- hide signature --

DK

Slynky
Like?

And to take things a bit more OT...

When I lived in Thailand, I actually had a "watch-goose". They make good "watchdogs". And in reference to the poop, they can really get it out there. They can actually squirt it out sideways--it doesn't just drop like cow pie does...

(sorry...)

DK Baker wrote:
LOL!! I was totally thinking the very same thing ~

I hate the thought of photographing people.
(People are soooo critical!! Trees never object to my work.)

Heck ~ I photographed a goose pooping today, and he could have cared less.

Sigh ~ I guess I'm gonna have to find a willing victim to have me do a portrait shoot.

omg

Slynky wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

DK

-- hide signature --

DK Baker
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Feb 10, 2012

lmao! No apologies necessary.

At another park in town, the geese were so acclimated to people that they chased you if you didn't have food for them! And they were vicious. The city eventually relocated them to a less populated area, and had patrols enforcing the "No Feeding the Geese" policy at that park so it wouldn't happen again.

Not a bird to mess with!!
--
DK

Slynky
Like?

Seriously !

DK Baker wrote:

lmao! No apologies necessary.

At another park in town, the geese were so acclimated to people that they chased you if you didn't have food for them! And they were vicious. The city eventually relocated them to a less populated area, and had patrols enforcing the "No Feeding the Geese" policy at that park so it wouldn't happen again.

Not a bird to mess with!!
--
DK

-- hide signature --

LeeStar
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Feb 11, 2012

Slynky wrote:

Well now, this challenge isn't about forcing yourself to do something that you've done before and you know makes you miserable. That's counter-productive, unless you're a masochist (in which case if you are, have fun!) I did include a note about not doing anything that you have a phobia about unless under a doctor care, but perhaps I should also add a disclaimer that I'm not responsible for anyone who has to go on anti-anxiety meds as a result...

-- hide signature --

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art."
— John F. Kennedy

Slynky
Like?
In reply to LeeStar, Feb 11, 2012

LOL...things are getting bad when we have to start putting disclaimers and "fine print" in the challenge rules ;).

LeeStar wrote:

Slynky wrote:

Well now, this challenge isn't about forcing yourself to do something that you've done before and you know makes you miserable. That's counter-productive, unless you're a masochist (in which case if you are, have fun!) I did include a note about not doing anything that you have a phobia about unless under a doctor care, but perhaps I should also add a disclaimer that I'm not responsible for anyone who has to go on anti-anxiety meds as a result...

-- hide signature --

— John F. Kennedy

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads