35 mm Equivalent lens on GXR vs Fuji X100

Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions
spiegellos
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
35 mm Equivalent lens on GXR vs Fuji X100
Feb 10, 2012

At the moment I have two Cameras. The Fuji X100 and the Ricoh GXR with the M-modul. Both are great combos and now I think about sellling the X100 and the looking for a 35 mm equivalent lens. But at the momet I cannot see any alternative lens that would be as good as the X100 with his sharpness at f2.0 and the exceptional colors the X100 renders. My lenses for the GXR at the moment are A12 50mm an an old Summitar 5cm f 2.0 which I like very much for the swirly bokeh. I think about the CV 15mm 4,5 for wide angle pictures. I there anybody who owns and X100 and a GXR ? thank for answer.

X100 f2.0

my flickr is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28616805@N00/

spiegellos's gear list:spiegellos's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,503Gear list
Like?
Re: 35 mm Equivalent lens on GXR vs Fuji X100
In reply to spiegellos, Feb 10, 2012

I would love to know the answer too.

Although in the quest for an AF mirror less rig, I may have to settle for the SONY NEX 7 and the Zweis branded .35.

My wife has the x100 and she won't let me have it, and all I have around .34 is the Oly and the EP-1. (nice rig with the optical VF of course).
--
Rube
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71881102@N00/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
In reply to rube39, Feb 10, 2012

I have the Fuji and the GXR M module and other modules. I find myself using the Fuji a lot more, but the M module is wonderful. the 15mm while very slow is also very sharp. I currently use 15, 28, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm Voigtlander lenses, and 55mm Nikkor Macro, 200mm Macro Nikkor, and 100mm Zeiss Macro as well.

The GXR M module and the Fuji are always with me and I love them both. The Fuji with its last firmware upgrades which I believe are the last ones, is very usable and the switch from optical to EVF is versatile. I will always have the Voigtlander glass no matter what mirrorless I own because it will work with adapters on pretty much everything.
--
Elliot

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,794Gear list
Like?

I now have both, but I'm an AF shooter - no manual lenses anymore. I had a couple for my m43 gear but once good native AF lenses became available in those focal lengths, I sold the legacy glass. So, I wouldn't sell my X100 even if a good legacy lens existed for the GXR in that focal length. Even if Ricoh released a great lensor in that focal length I wouldn't get rid of the X100. Variety is the spice of life to me and I love shooting with the X100 at least as much as with the GXR. They're very different cameras with totally different feels and create totally different shooting experiences. I wouldn't necessarily want either as my primary or only camera system (I'm not considering the X-Pro 1, as good as its likely to be in some ways), but I love having them both and love shooting with both.

And, FWIW, as good as the GXR-28 is in low light, and I find its VERY good, the X100 is even better. But the GXR is more than good enough, so that probably wouldn't be a very big part of my criteria...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,236
Like?

24-25mm focal length nets the equivalent of a 35mm lens on the GXR-M. The Zeiss Biogon T* 25mm f/2.8 ZM is absolutely superb on the GXR-M. I'd love to have one, eventually.

Most of the time I prefer a little wider ... the Voigtländer Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 is stunningly good, that's what I use.

The Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical is another superb lens which nets about a 21mm EFL FoV. I have a passing interest in that one too, but I don't use such wide FoV often enough at the moment to be willing to spring for it yet.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

snorthup
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Feb 10, 2012

My favorite lens on the GXR is an old Leica 21mm, f/3.4. It's a brilliant lens and fices about a 32mm FOV. Good luck and good shooting. The CV 15mm is also great fun, and VERY useable. The GXR is a wonderful machine. Bravo for Ricoh.

snorthup's gear list:snorthup's gear list
PowerShot SX600
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Feb 11, 2012

I have the Zeiss ZM25/2.8 / GXR M Mount (and a bunch of other Zeiss glass) and until late in the fall 2011, also owned an X100.

Optically - the ZM25 on the GXR outshines the X100. Objectively it is sharper, and probably renders with more contrast - some may not like that. The ZM25 deals with stray light much, much, better than the X100 which has a hard time dealing with flare, hood or not. Contrast-reducing flare affects the X100 where with the ZM25 I find I rarely need to attach a hood.

It is a superb lens and the GXR M Mount is an excellent camera unit to mate the lens to. If one prefers a manual focus lens, then there's little to complain about the ZM25 on a GXR.

Will a ZM25 make your photography better than an X100? In general, I'd say no.

I find the ZM25 on the GXR much more comfortable to use - the aperture ring offers 1/3 stop detents and is much easier to grip and control than the X100's electronic ring which for me sits too flush with the face of the X100.

If one prefers an autofocus lens in a small brick camera then the X100 is worth looking at or is worth keeping. The X100 can also achieve much closer focus via its "macro mode" - with the ZM25 the minimum focus distance is 0.5m, so there's a definite trade off in that regard.

PS: I didn't much like the ZM25 when hosted by a NEX-5N and contemplated selling mine; I'm glad I didn't.

drechor
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
In reply to sroute, Feb 11, 2012

Admittedly, I'm no fan of the 35 length, but I use an Olympus OM 24/2.8 via OM-M adapter on my GXR-M module to give me 35-equiv. Doesn't have the snap of my Leica 35/2 ASPH that gives me a 50-equiv on the GXR but is more than good enough.
--
Andre

rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,503Gear list
Like?

Godfrey wrote:

24-25mm focal length nets the equivalent of a 35mm lens on the GXR-M. The Zeiss Biogon T* 25mm f/2.8 ZM is absolutely superb on the GXR-M. I'd love to have one, eventually.

Most of the time I prefer a little wider ... the Voigtländer Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 is stunningly good, that's what I use.

Godfrey, please enlighten me: I thought that for a cropped sensor you multiple the focal length by 1.5. So wouldn't a Zeiss 25 result in a 37.5 35mm equivalent? And a 21mm in a 32.5 equivalent?
I am not doubting your math, just trying to understand.

spiegellos
Like?
In reply to rube39, Feb 11, 2012

Thanks for reply a lot. What i dont like from The x100 is that digital look of the pictures.

-- hide signature --
Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 +1 more
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,163Gear list
Like?
In reply to spiegellos, Feb 11, 2012

spiegellos wrote:

Thanks for reply a lot. What i dont like from The x100 is that digital look of the pictures.

-- hide signature --

it is a digital camera...but really to me Fuji colors are just wonderful.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,163Gear list
Like?
Fuji X100 size, compared to GXR
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 11, 2012

It has to be bigger with a built in VF, etc..... but how much in one's hands, some own both. I started shooting with a 35mm lens in 1969 and I miss that and still do. It is a special camera and I have often thought about that, a GRD (now the lV) and maybe a small zoom camera to be complete. Still a set up that will not take up much space.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

Godfrey wrote:

Me too (prefer a little wider than 35mm effective field of view). My favorite focal length on 135 sized cameras is 28mm; on 6x6 that's a 40mm lens roughly; on the GXR/NEX and other 1.5x crop cameras, 18mm fills the need almost perfectly.

The ZM18 and ZM25 get more use than all of my other lenses put together.

ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, Feb 14, 2012

I have your combination and would not give up the Fuji. With the M mount I have about 12 Voigtlander lenses including the 15mm and the 15 performs quite good. I also use some Nikon macro lenses with an adapter mount.

Ricoh has let me down with their concentration on Pentax and no announcements on the GXR 12 lens mount. I am not sure what I am going to do with the two bodies I own.

I am keeping the Ricoh because it's value is not worth the effort of selling it, but I am most certainly buying the Fuji xPro1 and lenses.
--
Elliot

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Godfrey
Like?
I do not understand
In reply to ELLIOT P STERN, Feb 14, 2012

ELLIOT P STERN wrote:

... Ricoh has let me down with their concentration on Pentax and no announcements on the GXR 12 lens mount. I am not sure what I am going to do with the two bodies I own. ...

You have the GXR and A12 Camera Mount already. It performs very well, and you have a bunch of lenses you can use with it.

How would more information about what new products Ricoh is going to deliver change that? How would it improve the photography you can accomplish with the equipment you have? What is it about the X-Pro1 that's makes you certain it will improve your photography over what the Ricoh GXR can do?

Said another way, what is it about the GXR and A12 Camera Mount used with your present lenses which leads you to want to buy another camera?

I just don't understand your perspective.
--
Godfrey

spiegellos
Like?
Re: I do not understand
In reply to Godfrey, Feb 14, 2012

Godfrey wrote:

ELLIOT P STERN wrote:

... Ricoh has let me down with their concentration on Pentax and no announcements on the GXR 12 lens mount. I am not sure what I am going to do with the two bodies I own. ...

You have the GXR and A12 Camera Mount already. It performs very well, and you have a bunch of lenses you can use with it.

How would more information about what new products Ricoh is going to deliver change that? How would it improve the photography you can accomplish with the equipment you have? What is it about the X-Pro1 that's makes you certain it will improve your photography over what the Ricoh GXR can do?

Said another way, what is it about the GXR and A12 Camera Mount used with your present lenses which leads you to want to buy another camera?

I just don't understand your perspective.
--
Godfrey

That´s right Godfrey. I wish I had this great variety of lenses. For me I really like the way the GXR m-mount renders with legacy lenses. That´s far better than my further m4/3 gear I sold last month. For me an older designed lens combined with AA filter less sensor is a possible key for that 3D look is really missed in some perfect digital combos and I think the new Fuji X-pro 1 will also be such a combo.

At the moment I think that I won´t sell my X100 because the quality of the files is outstanding especially in low light. In daylight for me my ricoh gxr and also my old GRD I which I still love will be my choice.
--
http://spiegellos.de

Godfrey
Like?
Re: I do not understand
In reply to spiegellos, Feb 14, 2012

That´s right Godfrey. I wish I had this great variety of lenses. For me I really like the way the GXR m-mount renders with legacy lenses. That´s far better than my further m4/3 gear I sold last month. For me an older designed lens combined with AA filter less sensor is a possible key for that 3D look is really missed in some perfect digital combos and I think the new Fuji X-pro 1 will also be such a combo.

At the moment I think that I won´t sell my X100 because the quality of the files is outstanding especially in low light. In daylight for me my ricoh gxr and also my old GRD I which I still love will be my choice.

I do hope the X-Pro1 is a great camera, and that it works well with the older and near-symmetric wide lenses like the GXR-M does. More sensitivity is always a plus, but I have to say that I'm pretty happy with what I have now and don't find myself needing any more. My other issues with the Fuji designs diminish my interest, and of course I bought the Leica M9 just recently which I'm finding is a very satisfying piece of equipment for my needs too.

Plenty of choices out there these days.
--
Godfrey

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads