Best CF Card for D300?

Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions
mrmoms
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Best CF Card for D300?
Feb 10, 2012

I just bought a used D300.

Is there a consensus on the best fit cards for the D300?
A nice sweet spot card? 4 or 8 gb will work.

I've always liked Sandisk and Lexar, but some of the newer (faster?) cards are not listed on the approved list in the User's Manual.

For example:

Sandisk Extreme CF 8gb 60mb/s Priced around $35...but it's not on the approved list. Same with some of the later Lexar Pro cards with higher speeds.

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Don89
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
Re: Best CF Card for D300?
In reply to mrmoms, Feb 10, 2012

I use Lexar Pro 400x 16GB UDMA myself. I also have the 8 GB cards as well.

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,740
Like?

mrmoms wrote:

Sandisk Extreme CF 8gb 60mb/s Priced around $35...but it's not on the approved list. Same with some of the later Lexar Pro cards with higher speeds.

Remember that the D300 is an old camera; so of course, the new cards are not listed. Anyway, you should not have any problems with them as long as they are not larger than what the camera can handle.

Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751
Like?

I have a bunch of cards of varying sizes for my D300. My most-used ones are Sandisk 4GB Extreme IV's (UDMA). I think the size card is just a matter of personal preference - I like to use smaller cards to limit the number of photos lost in case of a card failure. For me, a couple of 4 GB cards are all I need to handle all my shots even on a pretty heavy shooting day. The only place I'd wish for more would be for an intense event like a wedding.

The speed of the card doesn't really matter that much, either, unless you're shooting sports events in lots of long multi-shot bursts.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

DanCart
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, Feb 11, 2012

Transcend makes amazing CF cards, if ever you are considering something different

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,956
Like?
In reply to mrmoms, Feb 12, 2012

Sandisk extreme 4 & 8 work fine in both my 300's
--
ABA DABA

mrmoms
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Re: Best CF Card for D300? / Thanks
In reply to mrmoms, Feb 12, 2012

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful.
Tim

axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?
In reply to mrmoms, Feb 13, 2012

I have used Sandisk Extrene III 4GB for years in my D300...never had a problem...Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,679Gear list
Like?
In reply to mrmoms, Feb 13, 2012

I have one or two Sandisk cards - too expensive.

Most of the cards I have are Transcend. Some are small, some are large (up to 16gb). Some are slow (very cheap), some are fast (not as cheap, but way cheaper than Sandisk).

For speed purposes, the faster Transcends are more than fast enough for the camera. The camera will only support a certain level of recording speed. A D300 has a pretty big buffer too, so even the slowest cards work pretty well most of the time.

The time when the card speed matters - in camera - is when you've shot a burst of images, and you need to shoot one or two more while waiting for the buffer to clear. A slow card makes that wait noticeably longer, possibly leading you to miss a shot. ONE image will clear from the buffer pretty well, but clearing the entire buffer can take many seconds. Even my fastest card (Transcend UDMA 300x) slows continuous shooting speed down to 1 per second or slower when the buffer is full, but the entire buffer clearing is 2-4 times as fast as my slowest cards.

What I'm thinking here is that the 300x or similar speed cards are as fast as the D300 can take advantage of.

OUTSIDE the camera, you will see enormous speed differences IF you have a high-speed card reader. (They can be tricky to find as the slow USB card readers label themselves just like the fast USB card readers). I have a Sandisk Firewire CF reader that is very quick, and recently got a Kingston FCR-HS3 USB reader that is also good. When downloading 16gb of images from a slow card versus a fast one, I can see several minutes of differences between the cards. While it is idle time (sitting and watching the data transfer), it's also normally low-priority time.

What I do is have a fast card in camera, and slower (cheaper) cards as backups for when the fast card gets full (on long vacations). My largest CF card is 16gb, simply because I quit buying new cards when the fast 16GB cards were in the $75 price range. By that time I had enough card capacity built up over the years that I just didn't need more.

On the other hand, I now have two 32GB SD cards, simply because I recently bought a new point-n-shoot, and got a deal on getting 2 cards for it. I figured I might want more capacity there for HD movies.

As for the 'best' size of card to get, I find it to be in the 12-16gb range. 4gb is definitely too small as I can fill one up too quickly and be caught with a full card. 8gb is OK, usually.

I just looked up prices on Amazon and found 16GB UDMA 400x Transcend cards for $48. 32GB 400x cards for $70.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads