EM5 vs EP5

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions
zuikodude
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
EM5 vs EP5
Feb 9, 2012

I am sure now the the new sensor is ready, an 16MP EP5 with the new AF and new 5-axis IBIS (if they can fit it in) is imminent.

A few interesting questions:

• When will the EP5 arrive

• Will the VF2 take advantage of the new sensor and improve the refresh rate? Or will a new VF be released to match the OMD EVF?

• Will the EP5 and EM5 coexist... or hurt each other's sales too much?

And lastly, what will you buy:

• Weatherproof EM5 with built in EVF

• Clean looking pen EP5 with built in flash and optional EVF

Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,332Gear list
Like?
Pace yourself, breath regular.
In reply to zuikodude, Feb 9, 2012

It sounds like you're looking for a less expensive OM-D. I don't think the competition is going to come from Olympus, but what will be interesting is how they differentiate their lines (if you think the complaining about the E-M5 is loud, just wait). It may mainly be about waterproofing and the built-in EVF, but. . .

But the E-P3/PL3/PM1 were all just released months ago - and I don't think even 4/3 Rumors has the next Pen on their radar.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bunfoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Re: EM5 vs EP5

Its nice to see the Em-5 bringing excitement to m4/3 but I am more of a Pen line guy. I currently have an E-pl2 and while I like it a lot I will be ready for a upgrade in about a year. It will be nice to get a small Oly Body with fast AF and a new sensor. Throw on the new Panasonic x-series lenses and I have my perfect camera.

Good times for M4/3!!!

zuikodude wrote:

I am sure now the the new sensor is ready, an 16MP EP5 with the new AF and new 5-axis IBIS (if they can fit it in) is imminent.

• Will the VF2 take advantage of the new sensor and improve the refresh rate? Or will a new VF be released to match the OMD EVF?

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,866
Like?
Re: EM5 vs EP5

zuikodude wrote:

E-P5 in mid summer to early fall. Book it.

It'll definitely be interesting to see where they draw the line between the E-P5 and the E-M5. Will the E-P5 get any of the non-sensor-related improvements of the E-M5 like the 5-axis IBIS and improved EVF behavior? Or will Olympus try to put as much distance as they can between the fairly closely priced E-Px line and the E-M5? My crystal ball is cloudy. I don't have a good feel for what they're going to do. I hope they pack in the 5-axis IBIS at least.

In terms of pricing they're so close with the E-P3 at $800 and the E-M5 at $1000. By the time the E-P5 is out the E-M5 might already be hovering around $900 street, which would make the E-P5 kind of a dodgy deal. I think the E-Px line needs to come back to $700 body-only and $800 kit like the E-P1 was to make the whole lineup pricing scheme make sense. Unfortunately I don't think that would bode well for the fancy 5-axis IBIS to be shoved into the E-P5.

What will I buy: a nicely spec-ed camera that we haven't seen very many test shots from yet, or a camera that doesn't exist? Tough choice

Nic Walmsley
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
What happened to the E-P4

Why would they jump the Pen line to keep up with the OM-D line. They are separate lines.

E-P4 will be the next flagship Pen.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,970Gear list
Like?
N ice one, Bob. Breathe in, breathe out, gulp! :)

I reckon we'll see new E-P, E-PL, and E-PM in about a year or possibly a little earlier.

I would bet the E-P will be a PEN shaped OM-D, basically, perhaps even with a built-in, humpless EVF á la original PEN-F.

if the OM-D has done its stuff, it might be moved up in price a touch st its next iteration.

The PL and PM will be spaced down the market as they are now.

So the market will go: OM-D @ $1000, E-P @ $800 (or even $900 if it has the EVF built in), E-PL @ $600, E-PM @ $400. Those kind of steps. The E-P might even go higher, right up there next to the OM-D in preparation for the OM-D moving up a step with the next model (when they add a built-in flash, improve video, make the hump less mountainous, and make the 43 lenses perform just as well on the OM-D as they now do on the E-5 in preparation for discontinuing the E 43 line altogether! :))

The trick will be the sensor for the PL and PM -- they might remain with the 12 MPX for another iteration but I kind of don't think so. The other two tricks for the PL and PM will be flip-up flash or not, and IBIS. I suspect they won't get the 5 movement IBIS but whatever is put in them must perform. The current IBIS situation in the PL3 and PM1 -- where basically it doesn't work and even causes damage -- is ridiculous.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Panda9
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
If Olympus's history is any guide...
In reply to Hen3ry, Feb 9, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

I reckon we'll see new E-P, E-PL, and E-PM in about a year or possibly a little earlier.

I would bet the E-P will be a PEN shaped OM-D, basically, perhaps even with a built-in, humpless EVF á la original PEN-F.

if the OM-D has done its stuff, it might be moved up in price a touch st its next iteration.

The PL and PM will be spaced down the market as they are now.

So the market will go: OM-D @ $1000, E-P @ $800 (or even $900 if it has the EVF built in), E-PL @ $600, E-PM @ $400. Those kind of steps. The E-P might even go higher, right up there next to the OM-D in preparation for the OM-D moving up a step with the next model (when they add a built-in flash, improve video, make the hump less mountainous, and make the 43 lenses perform just as well on the OM-D as they now do on the E-5 in preparation for discontinuing the E 43 line altogether! :))

The trick will be the sensor for the PL and PM -- they might remain with the 12 MPX for another iteration but I kind of don't think so. The other two tricks for the PL and PM will be flip-up flash or not, and IBIS. I suspect they won't get the 5 movement IBIS but whatever is put in them must perform. The current IBIS situation in the PL3 and PM1 -- where basically it doesn't work and even causes damage -- is ridiculous.

If Olympus's history is any guide, then we can expect that the sensor will be used in all Olympus m4/3 and 4/3 (if they release one) cameras moving forward. They have always put their latest sensor and processor in the latest cameras, differentiating entirely on features. I don't see them doing anything different in the future.

Several examples: The "3" series of Pens all share the same sensor, processing engine, image IQ. Olympus released the E-PL1 with better IQ than their supposedly higher level E-P1 mainly because they had months to improve. When Olympus released the E-30 dSLR with their "latest" sensor and processor, six months later they released their supposedly lower-level E-620 with better IQ and high-ISO capability than the E-30.

My point is that Olympus has always put their best sensor/processing engine in the latest camera they release. They have always differentiated with features and form factor, not with sensor technology.

• Cal

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads