micro SD Card on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions
nucmanchh
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?
micro SD Card on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0
Feb 9, 2012

I 'm on my second day with the Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 and really like it. A story then a question.

I ordered the tablet with 32GB of mem but when it arrived I noticed, while looking in the storage setting of the tablet, it was a 16GB. The box it came in had printed on top - 16GB. But amazon's side sticker (SKU #, etc) said it was a 32GB. Called support and amazon refunded $150. Now my question

Expecting 32GB I wasn't happy so went and purchased a 16GB micro SD card. I soon discovered that it's not easy to move or download files to a mem card on this device. You would think in this day and time it would be more automated. But when downloading a file there's no option to save to the micro SD card. And when you go to “manage applications” thinking you can move a file or app you soon discover that none of the applications can be moved to the mem card.

Otherwise an awesome tablet.

I'm sure there are a few in this forum who knows way more than me - so can anyone help with this? I'm hoping I'm overlooking something

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 15,116Gear list
Like?
Re: micro SD Card on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0
In reply to nucmanchh, Feb 9, 2012

If you haven't seen any of my varied posts on here in recent times I should perhaps first say that about 3 months ago I had a vague interest in Tablets but hadn't a clue really about them or the differences in various models I started looking in what is an excellent local big Superstore - one of many in a National Group in UK here, and quickly began investigating different models. At this time I started to read and indeed joined in to some extent, varied posts and comments/explanations from Jeff on this Forum regularly , and from whom I just feel sure that I gleaned a vast amount of good information than I could never have gathered myself.

I now have an Acer Iconia A500 10" Tablet with which I am very pleased.. but in the process I think that I've learned quite a lot of important things about Tablets in general.

I know of your Galaxy Plus 7"..a quite new model and one that is I think little known so far in UK ..probably because as usual, UK Prices can often be hugely greater than such as in US..and from probably the one main advert I've seen of the Galaxy Plus 7" as yet..it is a pretty expensive item that in these difficult financial times I feel is not too likely to attract much in the way of quick sales here .. pity because it does seem a vey good one and of course is a nice compact size.

But in my learning process I think I've acquired at least a reasonable knowledge of a few finer points and differences on Tablets.. and Memory is one of the BIG BIG features that varies very considerably.. AND importantly, from Tablet to Tablet.

I have just been able to locate a User Manual d/load for yours , and this I think does confirm what passed my mind as I read your post here.

Basically there are two kinds of 'Memory' used in Tablets.. one is the built-in memory...that is fixed by the model you buy, and in your case of course you have 16Gig.. Other than that, most Tablets will have such as slots for different uses.. a MicroSD card slot in your case .. which in fact does seem to be the only one of that kind. Strangely I have seen a clear reference (by Samsung indeed) to "USB" ..but as far as I can see there is in fact NO sort of USB at all on the Plus 7.. is there ? So then, you are confined here to that MicroSD card slot...into which it does clearly confirm that you can use up to a 64Gig card.. that will of course be the SDHC kind .. and I assume from what you say that you have in fact bought a 16Gig card with this in mind.

Now here is where you have to distinguish between the Memory that is built into the Tablet (you have 16Gig at present)..and the "Memory" that an external plug-in card (MicroSD in your case) can provide in addition.. BUT...the SD card 'memory' is a sort of "floating" memory.. whereas the 16Gig you have built into the Tablet is more of a "fixed" memory. The latter..YOU cannot change.. the MicroSD card contents are regarded as a kind of floating 'Memory' as they act in a similar way to the in-built.. but the card contents of course can vary in all sorts of ways - as you decide..and it is NOT the same as the built-in Memory. You have found already that such as Apps cannot be 'installed' to the MicroSD card.. THAT is the difference mostly..

I'm not sure how you are dealing with the SD card right now.. what I think of as the only or best way to handle that , is to have some kind of card-reader with which you can use the plugged-in MicroSD car,..plug that into your computer and transfer to the MicroSD card whatever files you wish to use on the TABLET.. pics, music , whatever. THEN you need to remove the Micro card from the reader or holder , and then plug that Microcard into your Tablet. The Tablet will or should read that perfectly as needed and when called upon.. and in that way you have that "floating" extra memory used in the Tablet.

But that is the ONLY way I feel sure, in this case.. and maybe you will see now that indeed , if you HAD the expected 32Gig Tablet it would have made a huge difference...as you then have the full 32Gig available 'hard' Memory capacity on the Tablet..PLUS up to 64Gig if you wish, for further transient Memory on a MicroSD card...plugged in and out and changed at your own need.

If it is not too late.. maybe you should give serious thought to getting back to the supplier and see if indeed you CAN have the 32Gig model as you seem to have wanted originally... it would make a BIG difference..

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 15,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Feb 9, 2012

I see from page 112 of your Manual that it seems you may have a cable that came with it and which plugs possibly into the big multi-socket on the Tablet and from there plugs into maybe a USB socket on your computer. That should then show the Tablet in WinExplorer on your computer as an External Device (named in some way) and with that connection you can transfer anything from the computer to the SD card on the Tablet. That again is just using the SD card as extra 'transient' Memory.. not the same as the in-built 16Gig you have...Having 32Gig in-built would of course give you greater capacity to INSTALL to..

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,571Gear list
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Feb 9, 2012

As Eric said, all the tablets and phones appear to have custom memory management so what I know from an Acer tablet and a Samsung phone may have limited value with your tablet. Having said that ...

Both my phone and my tablet have memory split into different segments, consisting of the main memory reserved for installation of programs, internal memory used for storage, and external memory used for storage. All of them can install programs and save media/data files in the main part of the memory (program area). Some can dynamicaly split the internal program memory and the internal storage memory out of the total built-in memory, as needed. A standard phone can typically be set to move installed programs to the microSD card, but that may not be possible with phones or tablets with larger amounts of internal memory (such as yours).

I can tell you that my tablet splits memory into four segments: internal programs/internal SD (dynamically allocated, where the internal SD isn't an SD card but just the internal media/data storage area), external SD and external USB (the latter only appearing when I have a USB drive connected). The phone does it differently, with internal program memory, "sdcard" (which is internal memory), external SD (which sometimes shows up as USB), and external USB (if I have a USB drive connected with an OTG cable).

Note that in many cases, all but the internal program space is set up as a sub folder/directory under mnt. You may need to navigate up one level, or two, in the folder structure to find the mnt folder and then click on that and work down to find the microSD card.

As has been said, this can all be pretty confusing, but the main thing to remember is that you don't need a huge amount of room for programs - even 8 GB may be enough - but mostly you need it for data/media files, which can be stored anywhere and work perfectly well from a microSD card (if you can find it in the directory structure).
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
nucmanchh
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Feb 9, 2012

thanks for the help! I better understand now but I still stand amazed that in this 3rd millennium this has not been automated or at least simplified. The average consumer would never be able to use a mem card in this tablet. They wouldn't know where to start. Why hasn't this been done?

Another thing I've realized is that the average consumer would, mostly likely, not have discover they had been shipped a 16 GB in place of a 32Gb tablet. I knew where to look, but I'm a level above the average consumer

Jeff Peterman
Like?
In reply to nucmanchh, Feb 10, 2012

Another thing I've realized is that the average consumer would, mostly likely, not have discover they had been shipped a 16 GB in place of a 32Gb tablet. I knew where to look, but I'm a level above the average consumer

Then again, an average consumer might be perfectly happy with 16 GB. (Which is why most are sold with only 16 GB.)
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
opus1259
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Nov 9, 2012

I note in the comments that one of the people has ab Acer Tablet.  I have moved videos from internal memory my microSD card on the Acer.  If you cannot do that, it makes no sense to download them directly to the device.  I Have several tablets, and i use them because I do not want to carry a computer around.

That said, I have not found a way, yet, to do that on the Samsung.  Maybe it cannot be done, but that would be disappointing.

Despite the lack of excitement about the Acer Tablets, the fact that they have direct access to HDMI and USB, among other things, makes them a formidable tool.  I have the Samsung 7, an iPad, and the Acer, and the last appears to be the best stand-alone device.  The onkly thing it lacks is 3G/4G access, but that is resolved easily by tying it to your phone.

By the way, I really like the size and quality of the Samsung, and I suspect there is an easy way to move data.

fabianfred
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
In reply to opus1259, Nov 11, 2012

I have a limited experience with Samsung.

I got the Galaxy Note N7000 about nine months ago. Mine is 16GB and I use the 64GB card in it OK. There is an apk called Ap2SD which will move apps from card to phone or vise-versa.

I also use what they call an OTG adaptor which plugs into the charge/data miniUSB socket and I can then connect thumbdrives or SD cards with a small card reader, or even small external HDD.

Remember these Android devices need to use FAT32 and not NTSC format.

Although they advertise 32GB and 64Gb models of their phoines and Tablets they are virtually impossible to get hold of.

I dropped my Note upon its glass and cracked it, so whilst it is away for repair I got both the Note 2 N7100 and the Note 10.1 N8000.

Both of these run Jelly Bean Android. Although i installed the App2SD apk it will not work as both models seem not to see the extra mini SD card.

I use a seperate File Manager apk for moving files about since these will see the miniSD card whereas the built-in MY Files will not.

Why the change I have no idea. I keep several thumbdrives handy with my OTG plug and so do not really run out of storage. I now keep the phone memory for apks and use the SD card for photos/videos,music/etc.

fabianfred's gear list:fabianfred's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Samsung Galaxy Note Samsung Galaxy Note II +4 more
lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re: It can be done, just tried it
In reply to nucmanchh, Nov 12, 2012

Actually it can be done, just tried it. Created a subfolder in the Data folder on the tablet memory, plugged my tablet to my PC:  click on the Tablet icon, choose a PDF file on the Micro SD card, copy it and paste it to the new folder created on the tablet Memory and Voila.

I have: Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6810 Android Version 4.0.4 32GB + SanDisk Micro SDHC 32GB Class 10

Coolsiggy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348
Like?
In reply to nucmanchh, Nov 14, 2012

I have a Samsung 7.7 16GB and found that the standard file manager is not that friendly, so a play store apk may help. I recall that using the Kries software you can specify the preferred memory location. Using an alternative file manager, I found it much easier to use and access the microSD (32GB) card. I use FILE MANAGER from the play store.

I also use a eBay sourced powered 3 x usb hub with memory card slots which allows me to connect a pocket drive and camera cards, very useful.

-- hide signature --

Fred, KM A2, Canon S90. 'Your best Photo should be viewed with a biased eye' http://coolsiggy.smugmug.com/

DWare
Contributing MemberPosts: 617
Like?
In reply to Coolsiggy, Dec 16, 2012

Hope it's okay to tag onto this somewhat older post but the question is the same problem I'm having with a similar Samsung device:

My son was given a Tab2 for his birthday and we've been having a heck of time trying to put anything on the added microSD chip.  We can see the SD chip but nothing we've tried has allowed us to move anything or install to it?  We downloaded "file manager" as mentioned but while it made a nicer interface to view files, didn't give us access to the SD chip.  We tried looking up Kries software that is mentioned to actually move files but didn't find anything that would help?  Sure would appreciate any advice on how to use the SD chip.  I'm pretty comfortable working with computers but I'm ignorant of these tablet/cell phone systems where my arrogant assumption of simplicity has morphed into an embarrassing IQ test ...

Jeff Peterman
Like?
In reply to fabianfred, Dec 16, 2012

"Remember these Android devices need to use FAT32 and not NTSC format."

Not true with ICS and higher - since the update, I can use an NTSC formatted thumb drive with both my Acer Iconia and my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (the latter needs the adapter cable).

Android devices handle memory in a variety of ways, and the built-in storage, internal storage (the microSD card) and external storage (thumb drive or external hard drive) are labelled differently: the microSD ill show up under the MNT folder, but may show up as SDCard, SDCard2, USB, External, and various other names. This variation in names causes problems with apps that assume a single name.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com
http://i.pbase.com/t4/89/46889/4/143706232.M9mg6pc5.jpg

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Dec 18, 2012

DWare----As well as Kies installed on your PC, also install it on the Tab2. Also give Kies Air a try.

You then have three options. Use Kies or Kies Air or plug cable into PC to transfer files/Folders/Photos.

Alas, as I and numerous others have found out, I can NOT transfer files/Folders/Photos from Tab2 to the External card inserted into TAB2.. PEEVES me right off does that. I have tried quite a few apps so far.

None of my 2.5" hard drives with FAT32 on them get recognised by my TAB2. Must only be about 300mha I think to work. Most are much more than that.

I bought mine a week ago to use whilst away from home to transfer photos to with my OTG cable.

If anyone knows how to get that to work and straight onto my 32GB or 64Gb external micro card or pen drive, I and others would be your PAL for LIFE

MERRY XMAS ALL.

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
MrScary
Like?
In reply to MrScary, Dec 31, 2012

MrScary wrote:

DWare----As well as Kies installed on your PC, also install it on the Tab2. Also give Kies Air a try.

You then have three options. Use Kies or Kies Air or plug cable into PC to transfer files/Folders/Photos.

Alas, as I and numerous others have found out, I can NOT transfer files/Folders/Photos from Tab2 to the External card inserted into TAB2.. PEEVES me right off does that. I have tried quite a few apps so far.

None of my 2.5" hard drives with FAT32 on them get recognised by my TAB2. Must only be about 300mha I think to work. Most are much more than that.

I bought mine a week ago to use whilst away from home to transfer photos to with my OTG cable.

If anyone knows how to get that to work and straight onto my 32GB or 64Gb external micro card or pen drive, I and others would be your PAL for LIFE

MERRY XMAS ALL.

-- hide signature --

Hi All

YES! You can transfer files/photo images in folder to the external card on a sam gal tab 2 10.1

Would you like me to start a New thread on how to do it.

A friend of mine who is an IT bloke showed me how. He will be doing a Utube video soon on how to do it.

Happy New Year.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
JRApprentice
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to MrScary, Jan 4, 2013

Yes, yes, yes. Just make another post and tell us how to do it. I would be eternally in your debt, as it will prevent me from having to return the darned thing as useless.

Jeff Peterman
Like?
Re: external hard drives on an Android device
In reply to MrScary, Jan 5, 2013

First, with Android 2 and 3, the hard drive has to be FAT or FAT32, which is very limiting. But Android 4 (ICS) supports NTFS drives. Second, the unit must have a true standard USB port (such as with my Acer Iconia A500) or an OTG port (like my Samsung Galaxsy SII Skyrocket) and an adapter cable to provide the standard USB port, or some special connection/cable that adds a standard USB port. Next, the issue is power. Thumb/flash drives, and card readers, need very little power, so if you have the OS support and the USB port you should be fine. But as you've discovered, many external hard drives need more power than the USB port on the Android device can supply. There are two solutions. One is to use a USB splitter/Y cable, and have one end for the data (as with the standard cable) and another to supply supplemental power from another USB connection - I've had to do that on my laptop with some drives, connecting the drive to two ports on the laptop, but this isn't really practical. The other is to use self-powered hard drive - one that has a separate connector for a power supply, and you provide that power supply, which is easy with a 3.5" drive but hard to find with a modern 2.5" drive.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

DWare
Contributing MemberPosts: 617
Like?
In reply to MrScary, Jan 6, 2013

MrScary wrote:

MrScary wrote:

MERRY XMAS ALL.

-- hide signature --

Hi All

YES! You can transfer files/photo images in folder to the external card on a sam gal tab 2 10.1

Would you like me to start a New thread on how to do it.

A friend of mine who is an IT bloke showed me how. He will be doing a Utube video soon on how to do it.

Happy New Year.

-- hide signature --

Sorry for the late response.  I hadn't seen responses and assumed it wasn't possible.  I'd be very-very grateful if you would start a thread describing the steps.

MrScary
Like?
In reply to DWare, Jan 6, 2013

I have started a thread..Pop in and have a look. If you be interested I shall tell you how I done it. I have explaines a part of it, but I don't want anyone to BRICK their Tab. You must read what I say because if you delete this / it will NOT work.

-- hide signature --
lovecd
Like?
In reply to nucmanchh, Aug 1, 2013

nucmanchh wrote:

I 'm on my second day with the Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 and really like it. A story then a question.

I ordered the tablet with 32GB of mem but when it arrived I noticed, while looking in the storage setting of the tablet, it was a 16GB. The box it came in had printed on top - 16GB. But amazon's side sticker (SKU #, etc) said it was a 32GB. Called support and amazon refunded $150. Now my question

Expecting 32GB I wasn't happy so went and purchased a 16GB micro SD card. I soon discovered that it's not easy to move or download files to a mem card on this device. You would think in this day and time it would be more automated. But when downloading a file there's no option to save to the micro SD card. And when you go to “manage applications” thinking you can move a file or app you soon discover that none of the applications can be moved to the mem card.

Otherwise an awesome tablet.

I'm sure there are a few in this forum who knows way more than me - so can anyone help with this? I'm hoping I'm overlooking something

I AM JUST LOOKING UP HOW TO STORE USING YOUR SD CARD ON THE SAMSUNG, HAVE YOU FOUND A WAY YET?

lovecd
Like?
Re: It can be done, just tried it
In reply to lanef, Aug 1, 2013

need your help, trying to do what you suggested, with the sd card, something is not right.

could you walk me through it again?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads