Anybody here using EOS with interval timer for time lapse?

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions
Philip Lanoue
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
Anybody here using EOS with interval timer for time lapse?
Feb 8, 2012

I've been having some fun lately using an iphone to do time lapse videos of the sky, clouds, sunsets etc., plus tide transitions in the salt marsh. Those sorts of things.
And although it is fun, using a phone has it's limitations.
So I started to explore ways of using one of my Canon DSLRs for this purpose.

I know Canon makes an interval timer but I found one at B&H for $52 that's been getting good reviews.

I figure I could process, and merge the images into a video using a program such as Quick Time Pro.

I have a 7D and a 50D and could certainly use one of those but got the idea that I could dedicate my old 30D to the time lapse plan because that just sits in a drawer never getting any use.

So I was wondering if any here have tried using one of their Canon EOS cameras with an interval timer for making time lapse videos and if they have any tips or experience that they would care to share.

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
corkpix
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Anybody here using EOS with interval timer for time lapse?
In reply to Philip Lanoue, Feb 8, 2012

Philip Lanoue wrote:

I know Canon makes an interval timer but I found one at B&H for $52 that's been getting good reviews.

One zero-cost option is to install Magic Lantern on your 50D.
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#intervalometer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tftp
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Philip Lanoue, Feb 9, 2012

I've done some time lapse with my 60D, capturing star trails. I bought a cheap $15 Neewer timer from Amazon. The one for the 60D works great -- although I see that the equivalent 50D/7D model has some negative reviews (mainly about compatibility with the 7D).

If I were making a living by taking time-lapse/star-trail photos, I would consider a Canon unit, but I just like doing them while camping or during meteor showers. I also bought a battery grip for my 60D to double my battery life on cold nights (again, a cheap $40 unit from Amazon, which works perfectly).

Since I'm not making money on this, I'd rather buy the generic units and save my money for something more exciting, like an 8-16mm lens...

tommy leong
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?

Works very well
in fact so well, that there is absolutely no reason to buy the overpriced
"Canon" branded version at all.

But be prepared to wait, atleast 1 hour to 1.5hour for one clip. About 400-500 shots

So people do 3 hour time lapse ( -faints- )

-- hide signature --

wedding photographer tommy leong
http://www.tommyleong.com/tommyBlog

Philip Lanoue
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to tommy leong, Feb 9, 2012

tommy leong wrote:

Works very well
in fact so well, that there is absolutely no reason to buy the overpriced
"Canon" branded version at all.

But be prepared to wait, atleast 1 hour to 1.5hour for one clip. About 400-500 shots

So people do 3 hour time lapse ( -faints- )

Oh yeah I'm prepaired to wait. I have done a couple just using the iphone. And a 900 shot, (with one shot every five seconds) 30 second video took just under an hour and a half.

Here's one with the iphone from last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-993zVmNdY

keane_
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?

I have a 7D and a 50D and could certainly use one of those but got the idea that I could dedicate my old 30D to the time lapse plan because that just sits in a drawer never getting any use.

That's exactly what I was going to do if I hadn't needed the money and sold my 30D.

I have only one timelapse online as my others are still in progress, take a look if you want, this is the Northern Lights shot on a 7D.

http://vimeo.com/23329383

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads