then consider the canon rebel a beached whale by comparison

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Avaron
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?
Re: If the OM-D is too DSLR sized for you
In reply to wolfie, Feb 8, 2012

The hump is still ugly and unnecessary. It's just a bad design idea to make it more similar to the old OM. But without any function to it its just really really bad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,650
Like?
In reply to Avaron, Feb 8, 2012

It's got function. EVF, Accessory port, hot shoe.

Avaron wrote:

The hump is still ugly and unnecessary. It's just a bad design idea to make it more similar to the old OM. But without any function to it its just really really bad.

texviddy
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?

Wouldn't be too DSLR sized ..... it's tiny .

Maybe too DSLR shaped...

wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,522
Like?

Avaron wrote:

No its not ugly - I like it.

No it's not unecessary - it houses the internal EVF

No - its a great idea to tie into an iconic design the company is famous for

And - gosh again - you really are hung up on not seeing the plainly obvious - it DOES have a function. Here's a hint: the OM series were SLRs and this follows that design form - and another hint, they even put OM-D just so you might begin to understand that.

Believe it or not not everyone likes RF design with the VF on one corner - plenty of people are left eye dominant and hate that set up. But then what do you care?

And heck, all those millions of DSLRs with middle-placed eye pieces - you read all the time about people hating that, don't you?

Sheesh - get over it and buy a PEN.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Jorge M
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

Avaron wrote:

For the THIRD time tonight........

This is the reason for the 'ugly' hump:

"The newly developed 5 axis IBIS unit is a huge element compared to E-M5´s volume. I have outlined it here with red. It contains also Olympus SSWF sensor cleaning unit. I have not seen the units or pictures of them side by side but I think this structure is some three times as big as the one in E-P3. IBIS unit forces EVF electronics situated above EVF, which together with accessory port dictates the height of EVF box"

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/

You people are hillarious, go back to your hump hate .

Avaron
Like?
In reply to dgrogers, Feb 8, 2012

dgrogers wrote:

Not really. The hump is 1-2cm above the EVF, the accessory port could be somewhere else and the hot shoe could be lower as well. I think the reason for it is pure design and that is a bad decision.

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,600Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jorge M, Feb 8, 2012

Jorge M wrote:

Avaron wrote:

By the time you've posted this answer TWENTY times, there will still be people who just don't get it....

I am....going to get one, that is.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Avaron
Like?

wolfie wrote:

Avaron wrote:

No its not ugly - I like it.

Some like it some don't. I don't

No it's not unecessary - it houses the internal EVF

Its too big for that. Far to big.

No - its a great idea to tie into an iconic design the company is famous for

I don't care about that. If the iconic design was a 20cm bulge would you like that as well because its "iconic" ? I prefer function to some pointless design choice which this clearly is.

Sheesh - get over it and buy a PEN.

Why don't you get off your high horse you pompous douchebag? I said nothing about RF design nor about the DSLR formfactor. So don't go about projecting your preconceived notions on other people without making sure you know what you're talking about which you clearly are not .

Avaron
Like?
In reply to Jorge M, Feb 8, 2012

Jorge M wrote:

Avaron wrote:

No its not, its just what some dude (and probably you) thinks.

And unless someone cuts an em5 in half or at least opens it and posts some pictures of the inside, there is no credibility to it.

At all.

Andy Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538
Like?
One possible extra advantage of the pyramid...

..and we will have to wait and see if this is the case but...

perhaps it lifts the little add on flash unit that comes with the camera high enough to not be blocked by lenses like the 12-50

-- hide signature --
Avaron
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Feb 8, 2012

Gregm61 wrote:

Jorge M wrote:

Avaron wrote:

By the time you've posted this answer TWENTY times, there will still be people who just don't get it....

What? Some dudes opinion? I have a better one. There is a little lead block in it to make it heavier. Yay, great function, right ? Prove me wrong...

Avaron
Like?
Re: One possible extra advantage of the pyramid...
In reply to Andy Wilson, Feb 8, 2012

Andy Wilson wrote:

..and we will have to wait and see if this is the case but...

perhaps it lifts the little add on flash unit that comes with the camera high enough to not be blocked by lenses like the 12-50

That would be an idea. I sometimes had a lens shadow with a big lens when I wasn't careful back in the days. But then, why not just make the flash bigger or maybe even extendable ?

Andy Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538
Like?
Re: One possible extra advantage of the pyramid...

well I can't always answer for why camera manufacturers do certain things (tis often a mystery cap'n) but this does at least mitigate the complaints of no built in pop up flash

it seems that the principle uses of the little flash are mainly for outdoor fill (it is weatherproofed) and as a trigger for off camera optical wirelss flash

-- hide signature --
juiciness
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/2/8/olympus-om-d-e-m5-hands-on-preview.html

Stop whining, the hump is actually smaller than the EP-3 and VF-2 combo

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,600Gear list
Like?
"I don't get it, I don't get it....

Avaron wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

Jorge M wrote:

Avaron wrote:

What? Some dudes opinion? I have a better one. There is a little lead block in it to make it heavier. Yay, great function, right ? Prove me wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2enNCbyZo

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Jon Ragnarsson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,263Gear list
Like?

Although I would have preferred the 'cigar-box' design of the earlier E-Ps, I think Jorge is right.
Here is a close up:

The hot shoe and the accessory port go together, where else would you put it?
Remove the hotshoe/port combination?

Maybe they could have moved the viewfinder to the left, and then be able to lower the hotshoe/port assembly into the body, and just add a cm to the overall height of the body.
Of course, there might be some extra viewfinder circuitry in there...

Avaron wrote:

Jorge M wrote:

Avaron wrote:

No its not, its just what some dude (and probably you) thinks.

And unless someone cuts an em5 in half or at least opens it and posts some pictures of the inside, there is no credibility to it.

At all.

-- hide signature --
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?

Avaron wrote:

Quite right.

Stick with another camera.

The Queues are forming.

And the school bell just rang too ...

paultakeda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782
Like?
AP2 matches hot shoe and most want a higher hot shoe.

You can't split up the AP2 and hot shoe ports and you want the flash to sit higher, now lower.

The reason is both design and function. Not liking it is a matter of opinion. Luckily, the E-P3 remains a nice option for you.

Avaron wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Not really. The hump is 1-2cm above the EVF, the accessory port could be somewhere else and the hot shoe could be lower as well. I think the reason for it is pure design and that is a bad decision.

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,859
Like?

Avaron wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Oh really?

Where's all this extra space you're talking about? And the accessory port has to go there because the accessories that plug into it also plug into the hot shoe.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads