Not enough new things in E-M5?

Started Feb 7, 2012 | Discussions
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?
Not enough new things in E-M5?
Feb 7, 2012

I don't get those complaints at all...

Let's see what OM-D (E-M5) brings to the table compared to older Olympus m43 offerings and compare it with let's say Panasonic G series.

Pens vs E-M5 New:

  • Sensor

  • Completely new IBIS

  • Weather sealing

  • Battery grip option

  • Much faster (9FPS)

  • 3D tracking AF

  • Improved controls (more buttons, wheels etc)

  • Magnesium alloy build

  • Improved viewfinder

G1/2 vs G3 (2 generations!) New:

  • Sensor

GF1/2 vs GX1 New:

  • Sensor

  • Better add-on EVF

Hmmmmm......
--
Cheers,
Marin

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bunfoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Oly has a winner here.
In reply to msusic, Feb 7, 2012

Half of this forum has wanted a camera like this. It has a lot of features and the price seems to be very competative. Good job Oly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to bunfoolio, Feb 7, 2012

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
But will it float? /nt
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012
-- hide signature --

Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

 Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dolan Halbrook
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012

The G3 is a bargain right now, no doubt, and the OM-D will be expensive as it's just now being released, but they don't have the same features. The G3, for starters, does not have IBIS nor weather sealing, and there are a number of other meaningful differences. No doubt that the G3 is a great camera, but it's not the same camera..
--
--- http://www.flickr.com/photos/reneeanddolan/ ---

 Dolan Halbrook's gear list:Dolan Halbrook's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Geesix
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?
That's what CHOICE is all about
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012

You like the G3, get it. If you don't like the OM-D don't get
--
Nam

 Geesix's gear list:Geesix's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

Well- no, they don't have the same features or build quality. It has the same sensor and an integrated EVF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

Hmm. Just to repeat:

  • IBIS (improved 5-axes version)

  • Weather sealing

  • Battery grip option

  • Much faster (9FPS)

  • Improved AF (3D tracking etc.)

  • Improved controls (more buttons, wheels etc)

  • Eye sensor for the EVF

  • Magnesium alloy build

And add:

  • Support for wireless TTL flash

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
The dissapppointment is because...
In reply to msusic, Feb 7, 2012

The disappointment is because there isn't anything revolutionary in the camera. People wanted to see something special, instead we got an evolution in the next Olympus camera.

I think there are plenty of new worthwhile features and I will most likely be pre-ordering this camera.

I know that part of the disappointment is because an Olympus executive said they were concentrating on the EVF and that it would be pretty special. He said he couldn't explain it but that we would know when we looked through it.

Well the specs of the EVF say its the same VF-2 that has been available for quite some time now. It's been "tweaked" and we have yet to hear/read any hands on impressions, although I'm sure we will in a few hours, but with the same specs we can probably expect only slight increase in performance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

The E-M5 is going to have a magnesium build that will be much better than the G3. The E-M5 also has a new IBIS system that the G3 doesn't.

Oh and the E-M5 is weather sealed. So if you think the G3 has the same features, try using your camera in the rain.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 15,511
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Knallberto, Feb 7, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

G3 is a plastic toy.
--
Brian Schneider

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 707
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Feb 7, 2012

Yeah I had the G3 and E-P3 and they all felt like a toy to me. Too plasticky. Can't wait to see how the new Oly feels in the hand. I've always liked the old school retro look. If this camera gets great reviews I might try it out and will get rid of my nex-7 for it. Would love the IBIS for legacy lenses.

Brian D. Schneider wrote:

Knallberto wrote:

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

G3 is a plastic toy.
--
Brian Schneider

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?
Re: The dissapppointment is because...
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Feb 7, 2012

Photohobbyfun wrote:

The disappointment is because there isn't anything revolutionary in the camera. People wanted to see something special, instead we got an evolution in the next Olympus camera.

There hasn't been anything revolutionary in any of the cameras in the past 5 years really.

Entire m43 line of cameras is just the same with minor improvements back from the G1 (which is built upon same sensor that was used before in Olympus DSLRs).

OM-D seems like a great mirrorless camera with nice design and rugged build. I'm not sure what revolution would one expect.

Take a look at this:

2 "same" sensors, but quite different IQ, even RAW output.

I'd say E-5 has 1 stop less noise in RAW over Panasonic cameras with "same" sensor (and GF3 is newer).

Since 16MP sensor in Panasonic cameras has about half a stop or 1 stop better high ISO than the E-5, that would mean that OM-D would likely have 1.5-2 stops better high ISO.

That's a pretty decent step up (especially if they follow suit and release E-7 or whatever with new tweaks, 9FPS and 5 axis IS) - I'd buy that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Marin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PenFan2011
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: Not enough new things in E-M5?
In reply to msusic, Feb 7, 2012

The mentality of "this isn't enough" is particularly popular in four thirds, and in my opinion that constant complaining and abandoning the system for cameras popularized by exposure at NFL games and CSI type TV series are what have prospered in the meantime, while the four thirds system was abandoned by its 'loyal' users.

Pound for pound (figuratively speaking), you get more camera for your money from Olympus in terms of features and controls. I'm a Nikon user who has converted to the micro four thirds system. Every generation of micro four thirds is giving me less and less of a reason to waste money on a massive camera just because size impresses the uninformed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,554
Like?
System camera is the difference
In reply to PenFan2011, Feb 7, 2012

that is what I perceived with the snap of the whole system, relatively to the Pens.

One must be aware that 4/3 was a system, a thing P&S and Panny customers are not or less aware of.

Personally I am not convinced about how pleasing the shape of the camera is to me, as much as by its modularity.

For the first time we have a camera that can rival much bigger systems like C&N in a fraction of the size or weight.

I am not sure it's a pro camera, but a semipro it is, that you could show customers - with grips - without blushing.

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas_A
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: The dissapppointment is because...
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Feb 7, 2012

Most things are all incremental but good improvements. Especially I like the weather seal in a small package. Regarding, VF: With the three modes I would expect:

1. Normal 1.15x with overlay information
2. Reduced 0.92x with information on the sides/bottom, similar to Oly OVFs
3. Reduced 0.92x with similar to classical OM? Manual focus aid?

One of the specials should be one of the modes. However, I was expecting a difference in magnification.

Photohobbyfun wrote:

The disappointment is because there isn't anything revolutionary in the camera. People wanted to see something special, instead we got an evolution in the next Olympus camera.

I think there are plenty of new worthwhile features and I will most likely be pre-ordering this camera.

I know that part of the disappointment is because an Olympus executive said they were concentrating on the EVF and that it would be pretty special. He said he couldn't explain it but that we would know when we looked through it.

Well the specs of the EVF say its the same VF-2 that has been available for quite some time now. It's been "tweaked" and we have yet to hear/read any hands on impressions, although I'm sure we will in a few hours, but with the same specs we can probably expect only slight increase in performance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Re: The dissapppointment is because...
In reply to msusic, Feb 8, 2012

msusic wrote:

Photohobbyfun wrote:

The disappointment is because there isn't anything revolutionary in the camera. People wanted to see something special, instead we got an evolution in the next Olympus camera.

There hasn't been anything revolutionary in any of the cameras in the past 5 years really.

Entire m43 line of cameras is just the same with minor improvements back from the G1 (which is built upon same sensor that was used before in Olympus DSLRs).

OM-D seems like a great mirrorless camera with nice design and rugged build. I'm not sure what revolution would one expect.

You're right, there hasn't been anything revolutionary for a while from any manufacturer. I think Fujifilm may be the closest with their hybrid viewfinder but as nice as that is, it is limited to primes and a few select focal lengths.

I believe I read an article that said that Sony may sell its EVF to other manufacturers.

I think we should continue to see a steady evolution of micro four thirds cameras, nothing revolutionary though.

Olympus just needs to make sure they continue to provide a steady stream of lenses, which they seem to be doing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Not enough new things in E-M5?
In reply to PenFan2011, Feb 8, 2012

I think the "not enough" problem for 4/3 was simply "not small enough." There really wasn't a big enough difference in size to justify any loss of IQ. That's not true for m43.

PenFan2011 wrote:

The mentality of "this isn't enough" is particularly popular in four thirds, and in my opinion that constant complaining and abandoning the system for cameras popularized by exposure at NFL games and CSI type TV series are what have prospered in the meantime, while the four thirds system was abandoned by its 'loyal' users.

-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

 Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly has no winner here.
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Feb 8, 2012

Brian D. Schneider wrote:

Knallberto wrote:

I think these guys doesn't know Lumix G3 .. same features (even built-in flash, hahaha), less than 1/2 price ... forget OMD.

G3 is a plastic toy.
--
Brian Schneider

Nice results from a toy, amazing!
--
Kirk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vadimka
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
Only 1 complain...
In reply to msusic, Feb 8, 2012

why its not on sale yet!!!

 Vadimka's gear list:Vadimka's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads