Binoculars for photographers ????

Started Feb 7, 2012 | Discussions
mironv
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,727Gear list
Like?
Binoculars for photographers ????
Feb 7, 2012
-- hide signature --

I'm looking to get a binoculars and did a lot of searching on line I just starting this tread to see what binoculars any of you have use and why you pick that one.
BTW I'm looking to get for my 10 years old son a Nikon Action EX 8x40
and for my self Fujinon 10x50 which line I'm not sure yet.

Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
ffnikclif
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
Re: Binoculars for photographers ????
In reply to mironv, Feb 7, 2012

Mironv,

I use a pair of Leica 12 x 50. I have had them for about 12 years & have hike so far with these around my neck that there is a groove in my red neck. I have handed them to so many people because they could not see what I was looking at with their binoculars. And I should have taken pictures of the expression on their face after they used them.

They are that good. And they are a big help when you are searching for wildlife to photograph. I highly reccomend them. But they are very expensive. Buy one for life.

Fred

ffnikclif's gear list:ffnikclif's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leopardskin
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
In reply to mironv, Feb 7, 2012

go to hunters shop and see. if it is a good shop they will have zeiss and leica. if you are looking for smaller ones that leica is little bit better (recent models) ITHO, for the big ones zeiss is better. like another fellow said, expensive but maybe for life (or more).

dock
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,469Gear list
Like?
In reply to leopardskin, Feb 7, 2012

For anyone buying glasses look at them first before you buy. Check the weight. Will it be easy to carry? Can you hold it still? Also compare an expensive one with a less expensive one. Remember that your eye is foregiving. Does it focus easily? The glasses should have a way to focus each eye seperately. The best type allows you to focus one eye then focus the second. After that both eyes work off the the main focus.

This feature also allows you to use binoculars without your glasses on. Once you found the correct one you can still go to the internet to buy.

The first number is the magnification the second number is the diameter of the objective.

The bigger the diameter the more light is allowed in making the image brighter. Great for low light situations.

The larger the magnification the harder it is to hold still. The same as a camera.

There is a gyro controled binocular. which studies the picture even though you are on a small boat. These are excellent but expensive. They allow you to get more magnification and still hold still.

Happy looking.

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,173Gear list
Like?
In reply to dock, Feb 7, 2012

What will you use the binocs for? scanning? details? For details, you'd be better off with a spotting scope, but those need tripods for best effect (the best Swarowski and similar spotting scopes have magnifications 20X to 60X). For scanning, I don't bother. My 400mm lens gives me approximately 8X magnification FF (12.8X crop), OK for scanning.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
BernieGro
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Feb 8, 2012

This is a really open ended question that must be answered with the classic response, "It all depends." It depends on how serious a birder you are and how much you are willing to spend. Other factors include whether you wear glasses and how much weight you want hanging around your neck. I suggest looking at birder's magazines such as Birdwatching and Bird Watcher's Digest. They have each run group comparisons of high and mid cost binoculars in the past couple of years. Look at their websites.

I personally use Swarovski 10x42EL binos and they are the best. They have unparalleled light gathering power with amazing clarity. They also cost about $2000US. There are also very good ones in the $300-$600US range.

I also use a Swarovski 80mm/20-60x spotting scope. Again this is high end, but even the guides on bird tour grab my scope when then need the extra edge. This needs a very stable tripod for use in a high wind. The tripod will be useful for photography, too.

Finally, as someone said before, try before you buy.

-- hide signature --

BernieGro

BernieGro's gear list:BernieGro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Al Gooding
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Feb 8, 2012

For the money, Nikon Monarchs are hard to beat. We have a 10x and a 12x pair. The 10x is better for wooded areas and the 12x is better for long distance. Bottom line- you get what you pay for. These are somewhere in the middle. Quality is good, and unless they are lost or damaged, we won't be shopping for anything better.

Al Gooding's gear list:Al Gooding's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684
Like?
In reply to mironv, Feb 10, 2012
Klimt z
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
One word-Stabilized
In reply to mironv, Feb 11, 2012

I have owned several high end scopes and binoculars. Since getting a pair of Canon IS that is all we use. Without IS, 10X will be too shaky. I like a 10x stabilized and or 12x (but which is noticeably heavier.) They provide the stability equivalent to a tripod. No amount of expensive optics can equal the viewing of these instruments. It is like being able to carry a scope and tripod in the field. I admit that traditionalists need to have Swarovskis. If they are 8x or under you can hold them reasonably steady, but with IS you can go to 10x and 12x or more and get a much larger stable image. I have had been using them almost daily for about 5 years with no issues. I am spotting things that others are missing. Without the jitters the viewing is so much more pleasant.

-- hide signature --

Klimt

Drewpy
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Feb 13, 2012

I did a lot of research and for the money, the 8x42 Nikon Monarch ATB's are the best buy. Even the Cornell Lab of Ornithology thought so too. The focusing is very easy, they're bright and clear, light weight, you can't beat them 229.00 at B+H.

Drewpy's gear list:Drewpy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
dock
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,469Gear list
Like?
Re: If you can afford listen to Klimt z
In reply to Klimt z, Feb 13, 2012

they are worth every penny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads