[1100d] Help taking pictures of the moon

Started Feb 6, 2012 | Discussions
Jacobr9827
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
[1100d] Help taking pictures of the moon
Feb 6, 2012

As you can see there is a reflection of the moon on my lens and the moon is too bright i know i should have lowered the shutter speed but hot can i get my photo more detailed help

Jacobr9827's gear list:Jacobr9827's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Shorthand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?
Re: [1100d] Help taking pictures of the moon
In reply to Jacobr9827, Feb 6, 2012

If you have a protective filter in front of the lens, remove it as it will cause reflections like this.

Other than that, you can shoot the moon at ISO 100-400 depending on whether or not you have a tripod. The moon is actually a sun-lit object as if you were shooting mid-day, so take that in to account and shoot accordingly.

I could write down some numbers based on the "sunny 16" rule, but trial and error (i.e. take a photograph and then examine your histogram) in M mode is the best way to learn.

Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jacobr9827
Like?
In reply to Shorthand, Feb 6, 2012

thx and yes i had a uv filter on

Canon EOS 1100D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?

Yes, manual exposure, manual focus with 5x liveview, remote shutter release or 2 sec time delay and tripod of course.

tymevest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?

Jacobr9827 wrote:

As you can see there is a reflection of the moon on my lens and the moon is too bright i know i should have lowered the shutter speed but hot can i get my photo more detailed help

First take off the UV filter. It may be causing the reflection. On a tripod, turn off the IS. Then enable mirror lockup. Use the 10 second timer or a remote switch.

Next, focus have over the edge for maximum contrast. If it's not a full moon, focus on the area between the light and dark areas where you'll see the craters.

Use manual mode and try f/8 as an initial setting and ISO 100. Leave your EV set to zero. Now simply adjust your shutter speed to set the exposure. A longer shutter is brighter, a quicker shutter is darker. Take a series of shots at different shutter speeds until you find what works best for you. Also, when the moon is full or near full, you won't see much detail because the light in straight in which doesn't make any shadows. A half moon is the best.

Here is an unedited jpg of a near full moon from a T3i and a Tamron 70-300VC lens. I did resize it to the approximate size you would get with your T3 at full resolution size.
Shot @ 300mm, f/8, ISO-100, 1/200 second.

Another resized to T3 size. This phase of the moon will give you the best details.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

Shorthand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?

Jacob - a UV filter of that quality should just stay off of your lens.

Instead, I'd recommend getting a 3rd-party lens hood for protection.

Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D +9 more
tymevest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?
In reply to Shorthand, Feb 6, 2012

The lens hood is a good idea, even for night shooting if there are any light sources that should shine on your lens.

You can probably get a non-Canon lens hood for $4-$5 on ebay. It's just a simple plastic cone. If you have the Canon 70-300 IS, the hood is an "ET-65-B". I just looked and they have a couple for $3.69 and free shipping. Better than Canon's $55 suggested price.
--
Tymevest

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Jacobr9827 wrote:

Handheld on a very cold Winter night.

Use tripod, shoot in RAW, stop down to f/8 and slower shutter if you don't have a steady hands.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,633Gear list
Like?
In reply to tymevest, Feb 7, 2012

tymevest wrote:

On a tripod, turn off the IS.

Depends on the lens. If it's the latest generation there's no need to turn it off under any conditions (except to save the battery), and in any case it should help at the shutter speeds required for this shot.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Jacobr9827
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Feb 7, 2012

Yes and thanks for all your help

elton2
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?
In reply to Jacobr9827, Feb 7, 2012

i know i should have lowered the shutter speed but hot can i get my photo more detailed help

Increase the shutter speed - don't lower it. Also, you may want to try taking a shot before it is fully dark.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads