New info on E-M5

Started Feb 6, 2012 | Discussions
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
New info on E-M5
Feb 6, 2012

http://www.43rumor.com

“1.) Super fast AF is what we already know, but they also did something to improve the tracking they called it “3D tracking”. They track “moving objects” with their new “3D tracking” tech…

2.) The camera is packed with an external GN10 flash called FL-LM2, which is also “weather sealed” and can be used as remote trigger (just like E-P3)

3.) a Diving box is coming this summer for E-M5, called PT-E08, 45 Meters under water, and you can use the following lens, 14-42mm II, 14-42MM IIR, MZD 9-18mm, if you would like to use MF lens you can use the Zuiko ED 8mm F3.5, and the ZD 50mm F2.0, the Flash that comes with E-M5 can also be used as trigger to trigger the under water flash UFL-2

4.) MMF-3 is weather sealed, but there is a “detachable” tripod mount, I have not heard anything about the focusing speed… but they keep saying you can enjoy the high quality of SHG, HG lens, and blah blah, not a word about focusing speed… so let’s cross our fingers and hope it’s fast!

5.) We will be able to view the IS effect through the new EVF, and the EVF has sensor when you get close to 18mm it turns on (turns on very fast according to OLY), you will also be able to see the shutter speeds and aperture stuff just like the E-5 at the bottom of the EVF

6.) 2 more art filters, the Dramtic Version2, and the other one is also a Version 2 of the current filter… (not so important)

7.) the recording format is in MOV (MPG4 AVC, H.264) sound is PCM, they still have the AVI (motion JPG), still not sure if the E-M5 can record at 60p, let’s also cross our fingers on this one.

8.) the 3 inch OLED is a up 80 degrees, down 50 degrees, tilting “touch” screen! yes! touch screen!

9.) the 2 extra Fn buttons on the horizontal of the battery grip can be set as different functions other than the one on the camera, the battery grip uses the same kind of battery that E-M5 uses, which is a new one, and the grip can connect to a AC adapter. the new “battery” has the capacity of 1220 mA

10.) FL-600R flash is a GN50 flash, they said it’s much faster recover than the FL-36R or FL-50R. something special about this Flash, this flash has an extra LED light for “recording mode”, it can also fire short flashes to help focusing when the condition is too hard to focus

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
Re: New info on E-M5
In reply to NeilJones, Feb 6, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,696Gear list
Like?
This camera is starting to sound....

like it could be something else, I can't wait for the full specs. Thanks for the heads up.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

“1.) Super fast AF is what we already know, but they also did something to improve the tracking they called it “3D tracking”. They track “moving objects” with their new “3D tracking” tech…

This tallies with one of the new pages on four-thirds.org :

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microftmerit/merit1.html

"In the future, as this technology continues to evolve, you can look forward to such exciting new features as an ultrafast AF system that predicts the subject's next action by analyzing the scene based on the status of the human skeleton."

It appears that the future is Wednesday this week!

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
In reply to AndyGM, Feb 6, 2012

well found this just shows how Micro Four Thirds will leave everyone else in the dust...

AndyGM wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

This tallies with one of the new pages on four-thirds.org :

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microftmerit/merit1.html

"In the future, as this technology continues to evolve, you can look forward to such exciting new features as an ultrafast AF system that predicts the subject's next action by analyzing the scene based on the status of the human skeleton."

It appears that the future is Wednesday this week!

-- hide signature --

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

5.) We will be able to view the IS effect through the new EVF, and the EVF has sensor when you get close to 18mm it turns on (turns on very fast according to OLY), you will also be able to see the shutter speeds and aperture stuff just like the E-5 at the bottom of the EVF

What's the point of this "sensor"? And what does turning it on (fast or otherwise) do?
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?

This doesn't necessarily mean tracking of objects moving towards or away from the camera. Most AF systems now can track and object moving sideways across the frame.

Only a couple of more days, and we'll have a better idea. I've seen too many people burned to buy into the hype as an early adopter, though. I'll wait and see what they, and DPR, have to say after actually using the camera.

NeilJones wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,696Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Feb 6, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

What's the point of this "sensor"? And what does turning it on (fast or otherwise) do?
--

It switches between the lcd and evf when you raise it to your eye, nothing to get too excited about, Panasonic have been doing it since the G1.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
zemes gaoson
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Feb 6, 2012

Concerning the DPR, simply stop hoping for a miracle. There will be none unless it's an entirely different sensor. Tweaking may increase the miserable Panasonic's 10.1 Evs to a slightly less miserable 10.9 Evs, but don't dream about Sony sensor's 13.4 Evs. Entirely different performances separated by several leagues. Olympus needs a better sensor in order to survive. They are already doing beyond their capabilities in other departments, but the sensor is going to kill them if they are tied to Panasonic.

The 3-D tracking is hopeful.

The other major unknowns are:

(1) Flash sync speed (the regular synchronization, not the flash-based multi burst, which is much less useful). Based on the top shutter speed 1/4000, there is very little hope. It is very likely to be a miserable 1/180sec or even worse.

(2) Whether the EVF is tillable for low angle shots. This is just some wild speculation based on the leaked photos. It would be a great feature, but I'd be very surprised that it has that.

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,114
Like?

Thanks for the info.

I can't believe they made another camera without a built in flash.

I'll pass on this one.
--
Dave

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Meh, tell us something interesting.

Boring.

What exactly can we expect in terms of IQ improvement over the G1X?

Cheers (and not shooting the messenger, thanks for the 'news')

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

Apparently, it AFs faster than the D4; maybe all the Super Bowl photogs will be shooting EM5 next year.

NeilJones wrote:

2.) The camera is packed with an external GN10 flash called FL-LM2, which is also “weather sealed” and can be used as remote trigger (just like E-P3)

3.) a Diving box is coming this summer for E-M5, called PT-E08, 45 Meters under water, and you can use the following lens, 14-42mm II, 14-42MM IIR, MZD 9-18mm, if you would like to use MF lens you can use the Zuiko ED 8mm F3.5, and the ZD 50mm F2.0, the Flash that comes with E-M5 can also be used as trigger to trigger the under water flash UFL-2

4.) MMF-3 is weather sealed, but there is a “detachable” tripod mount, I have not heard anything about the focusing speed… but they keep saying you can enjoy the high quality of SHG, HG lens, and blah blah, not a word about focusing speed… so let’s cross our fingers and hope it’s fast!

6.) 2 more art filters, the Dramtic Version2, and the other one is also a Version 2 of the current filter… (not so important)

7.) the recording format is in MOV (MPG4 AVC, H.264) sound is PCM, they still have the AVI (motion JPG), still not sure if the E-M5 can record at 60p, let’s also cross our fingers on this one.

8.) the 3 inch OLED is a up 80 degrees, down 50 degrees, tilting “touch” screen! yes! touch screen!

9.) the 2 extra Fn buttons on the horizontal of the battery grip can be set as different functions other than the one on the camera, the battery grip uses the same kind of battery that E-M5 uses, which is a new one, and the grip can connect to a AC adapter. the new “battery” has the capacity of 1220 mA

10.) FL-600R flash is a GN50 flash, they said it’s much faster recover than the FL-36R or FL-50R. something special about this Flash, this flash has an extra LED light for “recording mode”, it can also fire short flashes to help focusing when the condition is too hard to focus

-- hide signature --

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, Feb 6, 2012

KwhyChang wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Built in flash is a complete waste of space! This camera is more focused on people who understand photography. hobbiests can still get tons of cameras with those useless flashes on.

I'll pass on this one.
--
Dave

-- hide signature --

phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,598Gear list
Like?

They include a nifty little weatherproofed flash with more features than a pop-up flash. How is that a bad thing?

KwhyChang wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I'll pass on this one.
--
Dave

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +22 more
safaridon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,003
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

-- hide signature --

What if the novel 3D tracking turns out to be no more than the face recognition that Pany and others have been using for more than a year? I hope it is something that will be fast enough to use for fast moving objects.

-- Would have been nicer if the remote infrared trigger was on the camera. As is you have to have two flashes one on hotshoe and the remote one for this to work? Also note that you have to buy an optional more powerful flash in order to get a focus assist light which is absent from the body? This system with its hump looks designed to get the buyer to get all sorts of added accessories but at least they are enabled.

5.) We will be able to view the IS effect through the new EVF, ...

--Well you will be able to see the AF effects of the face recognition in live view of course. However if the new IBIS is on constantly isn't that going to cause a heat problem, I hope not especially as this ability would enable use with video?

---Just how is the E-D5 supposed to have rumorered better HD video than the GH2 when it is using the GX1/G3 sensor and using a much less efficient codec which will limit the lengths of clips to maximum 12 minutes compared to 30 minutes on Panys using the Sony/Pany developed codec? Also no hope of 60P at 1080. As for the new codecs rumored even the new Pany travel cams offer those options. Perhaps the improvement is sound in PCM?

9.) the 2 extra Fn buttons on the horizontal of the battery grip can be set as different functions other than the one on the camera, ...

--The one switch location I like the least is that of the on off switch on the bottom corner of the camera rather than on the top where can be switched on with a finger without having to reposition your hands to turn it on or off. No point having lightening fast autofocus or power up if it takes you over a second to locate and use the on off switch just to keep it out of the way? However I would hate to waste one Fn button for an on/off switch.

--Yes so we have to buy an expensive flash inorder to get a focus assist rather than including on the body as Pany and others do? Does this new flash work off the camera battery or its own?

No camera is perfect and I hope maybe some of the above will come in the next rendition.

Jeremy_T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
In reply to safaridon, Feb 6, 2012

safaridon wrote:

What if the novel 3D tracking turns out to be no more than the face recognition that Pany and others have been using for more than a year? I hope it is something that will be fast enough to use for fast moving objects.

I'm guessing it's different than face detect, which Oly does already have. But I kind of suspect it will be of similar usefulness (i.e., you'll probably just use single point focus most of the time)

Would have been nicer if the remote infrared trigger was on the camera. As is you have to have two flashes one on hotshoe and the remote one for this to work? Also note that you have to buy an optional more powerful flash in order to get a focus assist light which is absent from the body?

No PENs can use external AF assist lights from any Olympus flash currently, so I'm unsure as to whether that's even an option. Are you sure the light's not in the body somewhere? So many people on this forum claim that the AF lamp is useless or worse than useless, so they might be happy about that, but I for one would miss it.

However if the new IBIS is on constantly isn't that going to cause a heat problem, I hope not especially as this ability would enable use with video?

This is a potentially exciting development. If it's on in live view, why not video too?

Just how is the E-D5 supposed to have rumorered better HD video than the GH2 when it is using the GX1/G3 sensor and using a much less efficient codec which will limit the lengths of clips to maximum 12 minutes compared to 30 minutes on Panys using the Sony/Pany developed codec? Also no hope of 60P at 1080. As for the new codecs rumored even the new Pany travel cams offer those options. Perhaps the improvement is sound in PCM?

I'm curious about this too. Nothing so far seems to indicate that it really beats the GH2 in any way, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

The one switch location I like the least is that of the on off switch on the bottom corner of the camera rather than on the top where can be switched on with a finger without having to reposition your hands to turn it on or off.

I like it down there. Keep in mind that this is a small body, it won't be much of a reach.

Yes so we have to buy an expensive flash inorder to get a focus assist rather than including on the body as Pany and others do? Does this new flash work off the camera battery or its own?

The 600R is a full sized flash gun - look at the full system image, it's mounted on the bracket. The clip-in flash (ala the PM1/PL3) is presumably included and does operate on camera power.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298
Like?
Silly E-M5 AF Speed Claims

Super fast AF is what we already know

At this point, all we know is that the camera is unannounced, untested, and unreviewed.

I know, Olympus is such an oh-so-ethical company that they would never, ever, leak any information that was an overstatement.

razorfish
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

Built-in flashes suck...

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?
In reply to safaridon, Feb 6, 2012

safaridon wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

-- hide signature --

No it won't be that, because the E-P3 already has it. So it won't be new for Olympus either.

-- hide signature --

Would have been nicer if the remote infrared trigger was on the camera. As is you have to have two flashes one on hotshoe and the remote one for this to work? Also note that you have to buy an optional more powerful flash in order to get a focus assist light which is absent from the body? This system with its hump looks designed to get the buyer to get all sorts of added accessories but at least they are enabled.

You ca also use a pocket wizard or a Hahnel Combi for that without having to shoot the flash in the hotshoe.

No camera is perfect and I hope maybe some of the above will come in the next rendition.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,272
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

Built in flash is a complete waste of space!

Nonsense.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads