Tablet has micro sd slot - camera uses SD card - question

Started Feb 5, 2012 | Discussions
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
Tablet has micro sd slot - camera uses SD card - question
Feb 5, 2012

I recently purchased the Galaxy 7 Plus which has a micro SD slot. My camera only uses SD cards. Besides using my home computer to get the files uploaded to the Tablet, is there any way I can get images from the camera SD card to the Table when I am away from home with no access to a pc?

I want to be able to take my camera and the Galaxy Tablet on trips - and be able to view the images I take with the camera (SD card) on the Tablet.

Is there a way to do this? I know there is an adaptor that will let the micro SD card work when there is a regular SD slot - but not the opposite.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Thanks for any information and/or help.

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
MaxB1
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?
Try using the . . .
In reply to Marla, Feb 5, 2012

. . . . micro SD card in your camera with the adapter. Some cameras will allow this and with other size cards as well . .

Here's hopin' . . . .

-- hide signature --

Paul
Vancouver, WA

http://pbase.com/spdavis/a_few_nifty_galleries

Mt St Helens

My favorite tree at Sunset

MaxB1's gear list:MaxB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marla
Like?
Re: Try using the . . .thanks...question
In reply to MaxB1, Feb 5, 2012

MaxB1 wrote:

. . . . micro SD card in your camera with the adapter. Some cameras will allow this and with other size cards as well . .

Here's hopin' . . . .

Great idea! It did not even occur to me - so thanks...

My manual does not include the MicroSD card or any reference to the adapter. It includes a few options, but not the Micro card. I also checked online - same info. I sent them an email with the question.

I also googled the question. I did come up with an interesting link which advertises a Sandisk SD to MicroSD adapter specifically for the E-P3. However, I doubt this is accurate - I think it is just an ad for the card. What do you think?

http://www.cellularfactory.com/camera/OLYMPUS/4/51711/764546/

I really appreciate your help!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Stevequad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,315Gear list
Like?

How about the Eye-Fi wireless SD card?
--
Have Fun!
Steve

Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon Coolpix S51c Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S +21 more
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,854Gear list
Like?

Maria -

It seems to me that if you want to persevere and use this "camera pics to Tablet" arrangement, you only seem to have one solution..You will have to buy a MicroSD card (of whatever capacity you usually use) PLUS buy any of the many that are advertised on Ebay- an SD card holder which IS just a holder and takes a MicroSD Card (the one then from your camera) so you put the MicroSD card from the full SD holder that is then used in-camera..just take out from the holder the MicroSD card with your pics on it..put it into the Tablet and that's it !!

But you just need to use ALWAYS a MicroSD card in your camera.. (in the SD holder to give it full size for camera use) and of course a good one..to keep your camera use as good as the card will give it.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Feb 5, 2012

Maria -

A query...is there only a MicroSD slot on your Tablet..is there any MicroUSB slot ... if so..you could then use your usual SD (full) in camera and get (easy) a cable that has a MicroUSB plug at one end (to go to the Tablet) ..and a FULL USB socket at the other end , into which you then plug your normal camera SD card..IN A CARD READER.. (all of which have usually a standard USB plug)

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2
Like?
More -
-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2
Like?
More -

seems I squigged the post first time on this one...

The adaptor - to take the MicroSD card of your choice, into this FULL size SD holder which is then used in camera...
Take out the MicroSD card to put into your Tablet..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-MICRO-SD-CARD-ADAPTER-ALL-GB-AND-MB-MICRO-SD-CARD-TF-ADAPTER-3-pcs-/250980015587?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item3a6f931de3

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

MaxB1
Like?
Maria . . .

If the card/holder will function in the camera, the camera will tell you. My only concern would be being able to close the camera card door.

I'm guessin' that his combo will be OK.
--
Paul
Vancouver, WA

Mt St Helens . . . 27 years later

A Triptych of my favorite tree at Sunset

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
Marla
Like?

ericN2 wrote:

Maria -

It seems to me that if you want to persevere and use this "camera pics to Tablet" arrangement, you only seem to have one solution..You will have to buy a MicroSD card (of whatever capacity you usually use) PLUS buy any of the many that are advertised on Ebay- an SD card holder which IS just a holder and takes a MicroSD Card (the one then from your camera) so you put the MicroSD card from the full SD holder that is then used in-camera..just take out from the holder the MicroSD card with your pics on it..put it into the Tablet and that's it !!

But you just need to use ALWAYS a MicroSD card in your camera.. (in the SD holder to give it full size for camera use) and of course a good one..to keep your camera use as good as the card will give it.

Thank you, Eric....I appreciate your input and the information. I have investigated these options this afternoon as well as posting the question on the M4/3 forum. The bottom line is that some cameras will accept the "holder" or "adapter" and some will not. I have sent an email to Olympus asking about it as I don't want to disturb/bend/break any connectors in the SD slot. Also the other question is whether it would fit into the slot so as to be able to close the door.

I won't be using the tablet much this way; however, when on vacation I would like to upload images directly from my SD card to the Tablet in order to view them. Most of the time I would be uploading the images to my pc - and if I want them on the Tablet, I would just transfer them from the pc which is easy and fast.

Also, regarding your question about the MicroUSB port - unfortunately there is none with the Galaxy 7 Plus.

Again, thank you!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla
Like?
In reply to Stevequad, Feb 5, 2012

Stevequad wrote:

How about the Eye-Fi wireless SD card?
--
Have Fun!
Steve

Hi Steve,

Actually I don't know about the Eye-Fi - I will have to read more about it as I have heard of it, but don't know anything about it. It would also have to fit into both the SD Micro slot and the regular SD slot.

Thanks for your suggestion.
--
Maria

Marla
Like?
Re: Maria . . .
In reply to MaxB1, Feb 6, 2012

MaxB1 wrote:

If the card/holder will function in the camera, the camera will tell you. My only concern would be being able to close the camera card door.

I'm guessin' that his combo will be OK.
--

I am a bit afraid to try it for fear of "disturbing" the connection. Regarding the door, I have that concern also.

After reading your first post with the suggestion to see if I could work it out with the camera, I posted the question on the M4/3 forum asking specifically about the use of the adapter with the E-P3. One person said it did not work with their M4/3 camera (GH1). I think my best bet is to wait to see what Olympus says (I emailed the question to them).

Here is a copy/paste of one of the replies on the M4/3 forum:

I've done this before, sometimes it works sometimes not. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to why it would work or not, maybe it's the fault tolerance of the particular camera or card. I've even done video on an adapted card (720p) with no problems, which was a little surprising.

I don't think I would rely on Micro cards with adapters as a full-time way to shoot. I've only done it to experiment or in a pinch.

Thank again for your comments. They made me think about using the camera vs the Tablet. I'm hoping it will work.

Maria

MaxB1
Like?
Re: Maria . . .
In reply to Marla, Feb 6, 2012

Maria . . .

I have an E-P1 which uses the SD card. I also have a micro SD card which is used in my cell phone (I just remembered). I happen to have a micro SD to SD adapter made by Kingston. I just tried this combo and it works perfectly in my E-P1 . . . both electronically and in fit. I don't know the differences between the E-P1 and the E-P3, but my guess is that you are OK.

-- hide signature --

Paul
Vancouver, WA

Mt St Helens . . . 27 years later

A Triptych of my favorite tree at Sunset

Marla
Like?
Wonderful.....and....
In reply to MaxB1, Feb 6, 2012

MaxB1 wrote:

Maria . . .

I have an E-P1 which uses the SD card. I also have a micro SD card which is used in my cell phone (I just remembered). I happen to have a micro SD to SD adapter made by Kingston. I just tried this combo and it works perfectly in my E-P1 . . . both electronically and in fit. I don't know the differences between the E-P1 and the E-P3, but my guess is that you are OK.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! There are a couple more posts confirming that it will work from my thread in the MicroFourThirds Forum.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the adaptor and cards.

Link to above mentioned posts if interested:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=40518421

Thanks again - I finally got my answer!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,418Gear list
Like?
Approach from different direction.

You can get adapters that plug into the "feature" port on the tablet (the one at the bottom edge that looks a bit like an iPad/iPhone connector). I know that Samsung sell them, but I don't know all the options. I found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Connection-Kit/product-reviews/B006MAWKRI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'm not sure it will work with your tablet, but it gives you a standard USB host port, and a card reader that can take several cards, including an SD. Note that the reviews say you can only use one function at a time (I assume because of the power requirements). It would allow you to connect your SD card to the tablet and only costs $20.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Marla
Like?
Re: Approach from different direction.
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Feb 6, 2012

Jeff Peterman wrote:

You can get adapters that plug into the "feature" port on the tablet (the one at the bottom edge that looks a bit like an iPad/iPhone connector). I know that Samsung sell them, but I don't know all the options. I found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Connection-Kit/product-reviews/B006MAWKRI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'm not sure it will work with your tablet, but it gives you a standard USB host port, and a card reader that can take several cards, including an SD. Note that the reviews say you can only use one function at a time (I assume because of the power requirements). It would allow you to connect your SD card to the tablet and only costs $20.
--

Jeff - I magnified the photo of the adapter - and it says "for Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 8.9.......I have the Galaxy 7 Plus. I tried a google search to see if it works with this model, but found no information. It is not made by Samsung, so I don't know how to get the info. I will try emailing the seller.

Thanks - I hope it will work. It would really be a good option...and less expensive.

ETA: I emailed the question to Amazon since it is fulfilled by them.

Maria

ericN2
Like?

Marla wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

Maria -

Thank you, Eric....I appreciate your input and the information. I have investigated these options this afternoon as well as posting the question on the M4/3 forum. The bottom line is that some cameras will accept the "holder" or "adapter" and some will not. I have sent an email to Olympus asking about it as I don't want to disturb/bend/break any connectors in the SD slot. Also the other question is whether it would fit into the slot so as to be able to close the door.

I won't be using the tablet much this way; however, when on vacation I would like to upload images directly from my SD card to the Tablet in order to view them. Most of the time I would be uploading the images to my pc - and if I want them on the Tablet, I would just transfer them from the pc which is easy and fast.

Also, regarding your question about the MicroUSB port - unfortunately there is none with the Galaxy 7 Plus.

Again, thank you!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Maria -

Sorry I'm a bit late in coming back again but it's been Z-zzz's time for me here..

But in regard to the MicroSD CARD into an SD Adaptor is concerned..I just do not see why some seem to say this may not work. As long as you get an SD card ADAPTOR (it looks EXACTLY the same as an SD Card itself but takes into it a MICROSD card .. a good adaptor is made EXACTLY the same.size, looks and contacts, as a proper SD Card and why some say it does not work in-camera I don't know.. well probably I do - they are just not fitting (pushing in) the actual MicroSD card itself, into the SD adaptor fully and properly. These adaptors are made EXACTLY like a nornal SD card...

Anyway it seems you may have decided to try this..I'm absolutely sure it should work...IF you don't mind shooting with MicroSD card..I see no reason to worry about it.

It IS..or can..be a little bother if you have to extract the MicroSD card each time (from the SD adaptor) so you can put the MicroSD in your Tablet..but for the times you are away and need to do this in order to show pics on your Tablet - then it should work.

Other times of course you can just use your ordinary SD Card...BUT... as you then use TWO different cards (SD full and the MicroSD in adaptor. ) .BE SURE to do a Format on each card before you return it to camera..or you may find the number sequence can be picked up wrong from a card with different numbers on it and going back to camera un-Formatted to clear it.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Marla
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Feb 6, 2012

ericN2 wrote:

It IS..or can..be a little bother if you have to extract the MicroSD card each time (from the SD adaptor) so you can put the MicroSD in your Tablet..but for the times you are away and need to do this in order to show pics on your Tablet - then it should work.

Yes, it will be a bit of a bother. I am also checking out the adapter for the Tablet as suggested by Jeff. This might be the better option if it works with my model.

Other times of course you can just use your ordinary SD Card...BUT... as you then use TWO different cards (SD full and the MicroSD in adaptor. ) .BE SURE to do a Format on each card before you return it to camera..or you may find the number sequence can be picked up wrong from a card with different numbers on it and going back to camera un-Formatted to clear it.

This is a very good point - and I am glad you reminded me. I am not always careful about formatting my cards. I don't need any more confusion! I am not the most technically smart person around.

I appreciate your input, the information and thanks for taking the time to respond.

-- hide signature --

Maria

ericN2
Like?
Maria - here you are...

Maria...

Stop worrying.. this is exactly what Jeff was talking about.. and this IS a HOST USB adaptor,..plugs into the 30-pin socket you have on your Galaxy 7 and it has a FULL USB socket into which you can plug a card reader with the full SD card that you always use in your camera.

It's from HK as usual .. but worry not.. you will rememeber I'm sure the excellent cases we've had from over there in the past..I've bought lots of things..and had NO problems

For the nominal cost it's worth a chance anyway..but this is your complete answer.. trust me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Host-OTG-Adapter-Cable-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-7-7-0-Plus-GT-P6210-SGH-T869-/290641121373?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item43ab8f905d

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,418Gear list
Like?
Re: Approach from different direction.

There are quite a few adapters out there. Some just give you a USB host port - then you can connect to the camera directly to transfer files to the tablet, and possibly even plug in a USB card reader. In fact, I think that Samsung even makes such an adapter for their tablets.

If you have any documentation for your tablet, take a look under "Accessories" and see if one is listed.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads