Polarising filters anyone?

Started Feb 5, 2012 | Discussions
Mloscalzo91
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Polarising filters anyone?
Feb 5, 2012

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question about filters. For a project that I’m going to be working on for class, I thought it would be nice to have some filters on me but I can’t seem to find the right ones that will fit the lenses of the V1 (I have all but the gigantic video super zoom lens). Have any of you found a polarising filter that fits any of the lenses?

-- hide signature --

I Don't Capture, I Create.

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mloscalzo91
Like?
Re: Polarising & ND filters anyone?
In reply to Mloscalzo91, Feb 5, 2012

I also forgot to ask if any of you have also found any ND filters for the lenses as well?

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question about filters. For a project that I’m going to be working on for class, I thought it would be nice to have some filters on me but I can’t seem to find the right ones that will fit the lenses of the V1 (I have all but the gigantic video super zoom lens). Have any of you found a polarising or ND filter that fits any of the lenses?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Irschick
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: Polarising filters anyone?

I bought the Kenko (Hoya) "Pro1 Digital" circular polarizing filter for the 40.5mm opening for the 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses. I'm also a fan of B+W and Tiffen. All these brands have 40.5mm sized polarizing filters.

For general ND filters, I'd use a "step-up" ring. I'm now standardizing on 77mm size. For me, ND filters are too expensive to get them in multiple sizes.

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

I also forgot to ask if any of you have also found any ND filters for the lenses as well?

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question about filters. For a project that I’m going to be working on for class, I thought it would be nice to have some filters on me but I can’t seem to find the right ones that will fit the lenses of the V1 (I have all but the gigantic video super zoom lens). Have any of you found a polarising filter that fits any of the lenses?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Bruce Irschick's gear list:Bruce Irschick's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Mloscalzo91
Like?
In reply to Bruce Irschick, Feb 5, 2012

I hate to be a a pest but by any chance, do you know where I would get these?

I appreciate the reply back though, thank you very much. At least now I have a clue of what I'm looking for.

Bruce Irschick wrote:

I bought the Kenko (Hoya) "Pro1 Digital" circular polarizing filter for the 40.5mm opening for the 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses. I'm also a fan of B+W and Tiffen. All these brands have 40.5mm sized polarizing filters.

For general ND filters, I'd use a "step-up" ring. I'm now standardizing on 77mm size. For me, ND filters are too expensive to get them in multiple sizes.

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Bruce Irschick
Like?

Hi.

A search of B&H Photo for circular polarizing lens at the 40.5mm size and in stock gave:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Stock_In+stock&ci=115&N=4277997899+4294955308+35

Are you a New York city native or just in New York state? I live in the Vancouver area, so you probably don't want to know where I got mine. Besides, it was the last one they had in stock.

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

I appreciate the reply back though, thank you very much. At least now I have a clue of what I'm looking for.

Bruce Irschick wrote:

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Mloscalzo91
Like?

This is fantastic, thank you so much. At least I got the polarizing one down.

The ND seems to be a bit more complex but that's alright. I'm from New York state, but I live close enough to say I live in the city, or at least it feels that way for me! Whestchester is where I live which is, depending where you live though, right outside of the city.

Bruce Irschick wrote:
Hi.

A search of B&H Photo for circular polarizing lens at the 40.5mm size and in stock gave:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Stock_In+stock&ci=115&N=4277997899+4294955308+35

Are you a New York city native or just in New York state? I live in the Vancouver area, so you probably don't want to know where I got mine. Besides, it was the last one they had in stock.

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Bruce Irschick wrote:

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Bruce Irschick
Like?

Hi again:

A little more searching on B&H gave the following results for 40.5mm ND filters...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_B%2bW&ci=114&N=4256189595+35+4291162308+4294955308+4291599900

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:
This is fantastic, thank you so much. At least I got the polarizing one down.

The ND seems to be a bit more complex but that's alright. I'm from New York state, but I live close enough to say I live in the city, or at least it feels that way for me! Whestchester is where I live which is, depending where you live though, right outside of the city.

Bruce Irschick wrote:
Hi.

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Bruce Irschick wrote:

Cheers,
Bruce

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

jm07
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
52mm filter for Nikon 1 System

The 40.5mm works well on the 30-110 throughout and on the 10-30 only at the longer focal lengths. On the shorter focal lengths on the 10-30 there is vignetting. For the 10-30 I use a step up ring and a 52 mm polarizer. The step up and the 52mm would work on both lens. Note you would not be able to use the Nikon hood with the 52mm. Instead, get a 52mm screw in hood. If I had both lenses and only wanted to buy one polarizer, I would get the 52mm and step up ring.

Jerry R

jm07's gear list:jm07's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Re: 52mm filter for Nikon 1 System
In reply to jm07, Feb 6, 2012

I have a B+W 40.5mm polarizer with normal rim. There is no vignetting at 10mm with the 10-30mm lens. And of course not at longer focal lengths either.

It’s just impossible to turn with the deep lenshood of the 30-110mm lens mounted.
--
Seedeich on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seedeich/tags/v1/

Mloscalzo91
Like?
In reply to Mloscalzo91, Feb 6, 2012

Thank you everyone for your help! I’ll be ordering mine hopefully by tomorrow and I’m sure I’ll be happy with the results. I’ve never used filters before so I’m going to have to learn when to use them (the appropriate time to use them and whatnot) but I’m sure I’ll be just fine with that.

Once again, thank you.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads