JasonQR
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Ken Rockwell on nuclear power
Feb 3, 2012

Sorry, I couldn't find a direct link for this, but if you go here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm
you can see Ken's take on "California's Nuclear Disaster"

"I love a good conspiracy, but nuclear power remains safe, clean and efficient. The Japanese were royally screwed last year, and many Japanese citizens and towns still are, however Japan rose to the occasion and Canon and Nikon are cranking out new cameras and lenses for us like never before."

I don't care that Ken thinks it's safe, clean, and efficient, even though I disagree. I do care that Ken's measure of whether the Japanese have been able to respond to this terrible disaster is how many lenses they can produce for us .

I don't think he meant this to sound as bad as it does, but it is quite insensitive.

JasonQR's gear list:JasonQR's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
alabaster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,408Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell on nuclear power
In reply to JasonQR, Feb 3, 2012

I thought his whole post was bonkers. First he dismisses a nuclear leak by characterizing the industry as 'safe, clean and efficient', and then he terms Japan's nuclear disaster as them being 'royally screwed'.

So Ken's not going to win any investigative journalism award, or any diplomacy award hey. Really, he should stick to talking about cameras - oh, maybe not talk.
--
Geoff B
http://www.gbphoto.com.au/

alabaster's gear list:alabaster's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Infiniti Vert
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
In reply to JasonQR, Feb 3, 2012

JasonQR wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't find a direct link for this, but if you go here:
Link removed as a public service you can see Ken's take on "California's Nuclear Disaster"

Another KR lover places a post to increase his clicks. How sad.

Mebyon K
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?
In reply to Infiniti Vert, Feb 3, 2012

As long as no one asks KR to either design/build a nuclear power station or lets him anywhere near the controls of an existing one, I think we are fairly safe.
--
Mebyon K

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,850Gear list
Like?
The point about the japanese experience is that you are NOT...
In reply to Mebyon K, Feb 4, 2012

..."fairly safe" next to nuclear power, no matter who designs the power station. Nature can unleash such enormous forces that there is no economic way to guard against them. And when a nuclear plant breaks, the problems just go on for ever and ever (well, a quarter of a million years -- that's more evers than can envisage).

Mebyon K wrote:

As long as no one asks KR to either design/build a nuclear power station or lets him anywhere near the controls of an existing one, I think we are fairly safe.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
John McMillin
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
Re: The point about the japanese experience is that you are NOT...
In reply to Hen3ry, Feb 5, 2012

That's right-- with nukes, one mistake is forever. When an explosion disperses fuel fallout, that land is uninhabitable for centuries. One thing Japan doesn't have to spare is land. And so they've chosen to wind down their nuclear power program. Ken should go over there and tell residents of NW Japan that nukes are safe. Then on to Hiroshima and Nagasaki to say that atomic bombs are safe.

I've enjoyed KR's bombastic style regarding cameras and tech issues. Those subjects are commonly discussed with too much seriousness. It's harmless to spout off with limited knowledge and little evidence. Nuclear power is different. My choice of DSLR systems will matter nothing to anyone a few years from now. The choice to build nuke plants is a risky experiment whose results won't be finally known for thousands of years.

It's a crime against the future to create so much lethal, long-lived nuclear waste, all to gain the momentary benefits of electrical current.

John McMillin's gear list:John McMillin's gear list
Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +4 more
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,399
Like?
Ken Rockwell on aliens
In reply to JasonQR, Feb 5, 2012

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nm/aliens/index.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/analprobe/dissent.htm

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell on aliens
In reply to Patco, Feb 5, 2012

I hope he only put up those pages as a joke - otherwise the guy really does seem to be a total fruitcake, and I'm wondering if someone shouldn't be a little concerned about the safety of those kids of his he is always on about.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
In reply to JasonQR, Feb 5, 2012

oh oh, Ken is breaking new grounds....kinda dangerous but surely will be entertaining..

JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,573
Like?
In reply to John McMillin, Feb 8, 2012

John McMillin wrote:

Then on to Hiroshima and Nagasaki to say that atomic bombs are safe.

Last I heard, both Hiroshima and Nagasaki are quite "livable", and in fact were almost immediately after the war/explosions. There is no evidence of long-term danger to those who quickly moved back and rebuilt.

It's a crime against the future to create so much lethal, long-lived nuclear waste, >

We can put it into a rocket, and send it into space, (or even directly into the "sun").

Note that it is a fact that "some" exposure to radiation is actually beneficial, health is better among "nuclear" workers, (and x-ray technicians), who are daily exposed to minimal amounts.

I worked in the Radar and X-Ray industry for 35 years and I am OK.

(and I am also)

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto

( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

RobertSigmund
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,193Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoePhoto, Feb 8, 2012

There is no evidence of long-term danger to those who quickly moved back and rebuilt.

It is a well proven fact that in moderate doses nuclear radiation is even healthy.
The same applies to smoking.

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?

JoePhoto wrote:

We can put it into a rocket, and send it into space, (or even directly into the "sun").

Hmmm... Off and on, across the last 50 years, I have found myself wondering if the Supernovae that sporadically illuminate the galaxies with light bright enough to be seen in our daytime.....

..... are caused by now very defunct civilisations having got rid of THEIR nuclear waste by sending it "safely" into their sun! (Nah! It's like an earthquake, or tsunami... what are the chances?)
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

gribley
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

This is so off-topic, but I can't let such bad info go...

Nonsense. Yucca Mountain (now cancelled) was designed to store the "70,000 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel and high-level radioactive waste" currently being stored in temporary conditions on-site [wikipedia]. Do you know what the cost of a pound to orbit is, never mind to the sun? And what happens when a rocket explodes on launch?

Note that it is a fact that "some" exposure to radiation is actually beneficial, health is better among "nuclear" workers, (and x-ray technicians), who are daily exposed to minimal amounts.

Not true. Low exposure promotes growth in cell lines, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a "benefit" (it might be a response to cellular damage). As for workers, look up the "healthy worker effect".

I worked in the Radar and X-Ray industry for 35 years and I am OK.

My grandma smoked for 70 years and lived to 92. "Data" is not the plural of "anecdote".

I am not necessarily opposed to nuclear power -- after all, coal is a disaster every single day -- but we at least have to be honest about the problems and the risks.

Sorry for the OT discussion.

kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to JasonQR, Feb 8, 2012

Wow. I can't wait to read his thoughts on trade with China, the crisis in Syria, global warming, the current economic situation in Greece and it's impact on mustaches and the ever present over population of kangaroos in Australia and their impact on Outback photographers.
--
-Ken
http://www.kwaphoto.com

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 12,973Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Feb 9, 2012

Barrie Davis wrote:

JoePhoto wrote:

Hmmm... Off and on, across the last 50 years, I have found myself wondering if the Supernovae that sporadically illuminate the galaxies with light bright enough to be seen in our daytime.....

That's a very natural response to a star whose mass can no longer be supported by it's natural processes. Our star is too small to ever go supernova, but it WILL one day go nova.

..... are caused by now very defunct civilisations having got rid of THEIR nuclear waste by sending it "safely" into their sun! (Nah! It's like an earthquake, or tsunami... what are the chances?)

Less chance than me winning the lottery twice in one week.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:
Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
Layer 1: Control your bike (Don't fall or collide with others)
Layer 2: Follow the rules (Don't be the cause of traffic crashes)
Layer 3: Use Lane position (Discourage other drivers mistakes)
Layer 4: Hazard Avoidance (Avoid other drivers mistakes and road hazards)
Layer 5: Utilize passive protection (Use protection when all else fails)

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
JasonQR
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
I've been outed
In reply to Infiniti Vert, Feb 9, 2012

Infiniti Vert wrote:

I love him so much that I wrote this post about how he's a bit of an ass. It was the only way to get his attention; he's not returning my calls.

JasonQR's gear list:JasonQR's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 2,730
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell on nuclear power ( Ken who )
In reply to JasonQR, Feb 9, 2012

WoW, I had never heard of this Kin person till now, but he just told me I can take a photo of his daughter with a $25 camera and there will be no difference than one taken with a $5000 camera and i have just spent all this money. Why didn't some one tell me this sort of thing, now I have to tell my wife.

RobertSigmund
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,193Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell on nuclear power ( Ken who )
In reply to RossAndrew, Feb 9, 2012

His pictures become worse and worse all the time.
The last one I saw was again an oversaturated photo of a motel neon sign.

RossAndrew wrote:

WoW, I had never heard of this Kin person till now, but he just told me I can take a photo of his daughter with a $25 camera and there will be no difference than one taken with a $5000 camera and i have just spent all this money. Why didn't some one tell me this sort of thing, now I have to tell my wife.

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
GeorgeZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,773
Like?

A moron, just a huge moron.

Itsa Dry Heat
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: I've been outed

JasonQR wrote:

Infiniti Vert wrote:

I love him so much that I wrote this post about how he's a bit of an ass. It was the only way to get his attention; he's not returning my calls.

If you want him to return you calls, you need to donate at least $1,000 to feed his growing family!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads