Bring on the S1X

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,276Gear list
Like?
Bring on the S1X
Feb 2, 2012

Take the G1X, delete the viewfinder, articulating LCD, hot-shoe, grip, protruding knobs, give it a 28-84 f/2.0 - f/4.5 lens (f/2.8 - f/4.5 if you must), and give me THAT camera!!

-- hide signature --

"$3000 should buy a camera competent at all photographic tasks." - gipper51 on the 5DIII

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
linzybel
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
Re: Bring on the S1X
In reply to JackM, Feb 2, 2012

I'll bet Canon doesn't even know whether the articulating screen is important at the moment. I think it has been a selling point with the 60D, which is really popular with video pros on a budget, so Canon includes it at the "high end" for now. In a few years, who knows?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
riveredger
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
In reply to linzybel, Feb 2, 2012

linzybel wrote:

I'll bet Canon doesn't even know whether the articulating screen is important at the moment. I think it has been a selling point with the 60D, which is really popular with video pros on a budget, so Canon includes it at the "high end" for now. In a few years, who knows?

After using a camera with an articulated screen, I consider it a must have.

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Nikon D7100
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
In reply to riveredger, Feb 2, 2012

riveredger wrote:

Agreed. It is very handy to have and the small amount of extra real estate/weight that accompanies it makes it a no brainer.

If I was going to change one thing on the G1X, I'd probably delete the optical view finder as the one it has just isn't all that good. The rest I would keep. I do like the 28-84 f2 lens suggestion of the original poster though. I could live with that.

Jim

Jay_B
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to JackM, Feb 3, 2012

JackM wrote:

Take the G1X, delete the viewfinder, articulating LCD, hot-shoe, grip, protruding knobs, give it a 28-84 f/2.0 - f/4.5 lens (f/2.8 - f/4.5 if you must), and give me THAT camera!!

Just get yourself a Panny GX1 w/ X zoom if that's what you want. Everything you want to eliminate is what makes the G series distinct. I held on to my G6 until the G11 came out marking the return of the articulating screen. If you are saying you want a super small compact (s100-sized) with a large sensor, good luck with that.

I also like the hot shoe, because bounce flash is better than indoor low-light in some cases. The 270EX does well paired with the G-series. I love the knobs for quick control and 84 is not quite long enough for me. Also the G-series have always felt more like a camera to me, and less like a gadget.
--
Jay B.

"No...really...my camera made me do it..."

Jay_B's gear list:Jay_B's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
sarlo100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jay_B, Feb 3, 2012

Jay_B wrote:

JackM wrote:

Just get yourself a Panny GX1 w/ X zoom if that's what you want. Everything you want to eliminate is what makes the G series distinct. I held on to my G6 until the G11 came out marking the return of the articulating screen. If you are saying you want a super small compact (s100-sized) with a large sensor, good luck with that.

It wouldn't be S100 size, but I'll bet his camera could be done at something approximating the old S80 size - although f/2.8-4.9 would be a safer bet.

sarlo100's gear list:sarlo100's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 +10 more
JackM
Like?
you're missing the point.

Jay_B wrote:

JackM wrote:

Just get yourself a Panny GX1 w/ X zoom if that's what you want.

Too big and too slow.

Everything you want to eliminate is what makes the G series distinct.

I don't want a G series. I want an S series with the G1X sensor. I understand the camera will have to be significantly larger than the S100, but it can still be slim and sleek and pocketable. The only pocket a G1X is fitting into is a large coat pocket or cargo pants.

I held on to my G6 until the G11 came out marking the return of the articulating screen. If you are saying you want a super small compact (s100-sized) with a large sensor, good luck with that.

It'll happen. The S series has always been something of a pocket-G.

I also like the hot shoe, because bounce flash is better than indoor low-light in some cases. The 270EX does well paired with the G-series. I love the knobs for quick control and 84 is not quite long enough for me. Also the G-series have always felt more like a camera to me, and less like a gadget.

I don't dispute any of that. But that's not what I want. If I have to carry a bag, I'll just bring my 5DII.

-- hide signature --

"$3000 should buy a camera competent at all photographic tasks." - gipper51 on the 5DIII

Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Bokeh_freak
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?

I wouldn't mind an S1XX with an articulating screen, same sensor and lens as S100.

I don't get what's great about the G1X sensor. It is not better than the old EOS T1i sensor. The DR is less than 11EV for goodness sakes.

JackM
Like?
In reply to Bokeh_freak, Feb 3, 2012

Bokeh_freak wrote:

I wouldn't mind an S1XX with an articulating screen, same sensor and lens as S100.

I don't get what's great about the G1X sensor. It is not better than the old EOS T1i sensor. The DR is less than 11EV for goodness sakes.

S100 has a 1/1.7" sensor. G1X has the 1.5" sensor. Also the pixel size and performance is the same as the 7D. If you don't understand what this and the above graphic would mean for a pocketable point-n-shoot, then it wouldn't be the camera for you.

-- hide signature --

LiSkynden
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to linzybel, Feb 3, 2012

linzybel wrote:

I'll bet Canon doesn't even know whether the articulating screen is important at the moment. I think it has been a selling point with the 60D,

Yes exactly, cause thats why i bought 60D. I was just gonna go for Olympus E-30 cause ...

riveredger wrote:

LiSkynden's gear list:LiSkynden's gear list
Canon PowerShot A310 Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot A80 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon EOS 60D +3 more
Bokeh_freak
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?

JackM wrote:

Bokeh_freak wrote:

S100 has a 1/1.7" sensor. G1X has the 1.5" sensor. Also the pixel size and performance is the same as the 7D. If you don't understand what this and the above graphic would mean for a pocketable point-n-shoot, then it wouldn't be the camera for you.

-- hide signature --

It still stands that I rather have a S-- with articulating screen that's way lighter than the G1X, f2.0 lens, and with an articulating screen.

howardroark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?

Dude, you're wrong. Why can't you just accept that? Noise, detail, and flexibility matter to YOU.....and to me, don't get me wrong. But you're not in an argument about which is the better camera. If someone needs a tiny camera, doesn't want to spend much, and doesn't value the amazing image quality out of the G1X, then the S100 fits their cost/benefit ratio. I know that some people have completely unrealistic expectations for this camera and don't value it enough to pay the asking price, but at least we know how great this sensor is (to us, the people who are wrong).

And by the way, you realize it would be impossible to fit that sensor inside an S### body, right?

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Jay_B
Like?
A better to way to make the point would be...

...to say "Take the s100, make it big enough to work with a large(r) sensor, and still give it a fast lens, while keeping it pocketable." I took it the other way, because you started out removing things from the G cam.

I guess my thinking is from the perspective of having replaced a G11 with an s100 and missing many of the features you cited. Personally, I still wouldn't want to use a large FF or APS-C DSLR in most cases, hence my interest in the G1 X
--
Jay B.

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
JackM
Like?
In reply to howardroark, Feb 3, 2012

howardroark wrote:

Dude, you're wrong. Why can't you just accept that? Noise, detail, and flexibility matter to YOU.....and to me, don't get me wrong. But you're not in an argument about which is the better camera. If someone needs a tiny camera, doesn't want to spend much, and doesn't value the amazing image quality out of the G1X, then the S100 fits their cost/benefit ratio. I know that some people have completely unrealistic expectations for this camera and don't value it enough to pay the asking price, but at least we know how great this sensor is (to us, the people who are wrong).

And by the way, you realize it would be impossible to fit that sensor inside an S### body, right?

Haha, I'll take that light-heartedly. I'm not here to take anything away from the G1X or argue G series vs S series. They're apples and oranges. The G1X is obviously the best compact camera ever made, and makes a strong case for itself aagainst CSC cameras like m4/3, NEX, etc.

I'm just saying what I want. To put it the other way around as Jay_B suggested, I want something like an S100 with the G1X sensor, such that it can be more portable than the G1X. I understand it will be larger than the S100, but it will still slide in a pocket much better than the G1X. Since the S series has always been something like a pocket G, I think I'll get my wish eventually.

-- hide signature --

Jay_B
Like?
Don't waste your time...
In reply to howardroark, Feb 3, 2012

...howardroark, This person is just trolling to antagonize people that are anticipating their G1X, sometimes by arguing, in another thread, that the Fuji X10 is better or whatever other "Logic" he/she may use.

A camera is not a disembodied sensor, or freestanding lens, or a certain speed of processor, but an image capture and viewing system that works as a cohesive whole. The unavoidable fact is that none of us know how well the camera will do for us until we can use one, period.

-- hide signature --

Jay B.

Jay_B
Like?

JackM, if you get your wish, I'll buy the second one on the market right behind you, along with a whole bunch of other people...
--
Jay B.

linzybel
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?

I'm not a physicist, but I suspect you just can't DO what you want. To gather enough light to spread across a sensor that big, you'll need a lens that's, well, close to the size of the G1X lens.

Eventually, maybe with major breakthroughs and different electro-optical technologies, we'll have a slim-jim camera with pure and beautiful full-frame quality imagery, but for the near future I think you're probably dreaming.

bmike
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: Don't waste your time...

sadly, as mentioned in another thread, i don't think howard roark has studied his namesake.

ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
Flat Prime S1 X

JackM wrote:

Lens would be too big. For a complement to the G1 X as well as the rest of the Canon lineup...

Take an S100 size body and external features. Fit a G1 X sensor in it. Put the widest aperture 50 mm (equivalent) prime on there that can keep projection from the body at 3/4" or under, taking full advantage of the fixed and integrated lens, and also keep the S100 assignable external control on the lens.

Give me a near DSLR size sensor with a fixed fast prime that will slide in my shirt pocket, and I will line up to pay $700 for it!!!

(This is not a complaint about the G1 X, but a future complement for it and the rest of the line.)

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D +9 more
JackM
Like?
Re: Flat Prime S1 X
In reply to ProtoPhoto, Feb 3, 2012

ProtoPhoto wrote:

JackM wrote:

Lens would be too big. For a complement to the G1 X as well as the rest of the Canon lineup...

Take an S100 size body and external features. Fit a G1 X sensor in it. Put the widest aperture 50 mm (equivalent) prime on there that can keep projection from the body at 3/4" or under, taking full advantage of the fixed and integrated lens, and also keep the S100 assignable external control on the lens.

Give me a near DSLR size sensor with a fixed fast prime that will slide in my shirt pocket, and I will line up to pay $700 for it!!!

I'd be fine with that too. Or a 24-50mm zoom.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads