Why is Nikon Jumping on the MP Bandwagon?

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Why is Nikon Jumping on the MP Bandwagon?
Feb 1, 2012

Why is Nikon Jumping on the MP Bandwagon with its latest Coolpixs?

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,225Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is Nikon Jumping on the MP Bandwagon?
In reply to snapshot09, Feb 1, 2012

MP's are not as important as the sensor. Look at the tool here at DPreview under camera and camera timeline. For example Canon and Nikon had the MP race with each new model for the most part and that changed. 16 MP is nice. At the same time Canon introduced a costly flag ship p&s, the G1-x and not to mix up ( i may have) the new Panasonic micro four thirds, GX-1.

Anyway, each manufacture always has a reason for doing what they do and its sales or money driven. They do what they do because it is simply a business. I have always been a Nikon user but when I did not like what the p&s offerings were I switched to Canon. Point is do what is best for you at the given time and need, brand loyalty does not IMO help anyone being the end user. Same thing years ago when I had enough with PC's and Dell I switched to Apple and for me its been great!

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tem00
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?

snapshot09 wrote:

Just because yesterdays state of technology showed higher MP could may result in compromised image quality, does not mean the same is true today. Products improve and soon an old mindset becomes obsolete. Perhaps the actual user samples will surprise us and result in better performance.

snapshot09
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Feb 1, 2012

Sony went through this in their updates last year which resulted in more smearing. Seemed like the MP war was over a couple of years ago when everyone started to finally DECREASE their MPs and surprise surprise, IQ improved. While it sounds great to have a 16MP in a 1/2.3-inch sensor, it really is overkill. Something like the G1X I can see being a 14MP given the sensor size.

Take for example the P300 (12MP) to P310 (16MP), besides the display, the only real difference is the increase in MPs...for what?

ryan2007 wrote:

MP's are not as important as the sensor. Look at the tool here at DPreview under camera and camera timeline. For example Canon and Nikon had the MP race with each new model for the most part and that changed. 16 MP is nice. At the same time Canon introduced a costly flag ship p&s, the G1-x and not to mix up ( i may have) the new Panasonic micro four thirds, GX-1.

Anyway, each manufacture always has a reason for doing what they do and its sales or money driven. They do what they do because it is simply a business. I have always been a Nikon user but when I did not like what the p&s offerings were I switched to Canon. Point is do what is best for you at the given time and need, brand loyalty does not IMO help anyone being the end user. Same thing years ago when I had enough with PC's and Dell I switched to Apple and for me its been great!

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to tem00, Feb 1, 2012

Possible but highly unlikely. In a local electronics superstore the cameras were arranged with a long vertical card behind giving the details. Right at the top by itself was the mega pixel number. There was a long space and everthing else was at the bottom of the card. To people who do not know the technology mega pixels mean power. Even reviewers describe high mega pixel cameras as high powered.

It is purely marketing but the lower mega pixels phones are now starting to make the images from these over pixellated compacts look a bit ropey by comparison. So there is some justice.

Today's technology is not as far ahead of yesterday's as the camera marketing people would have us believe.

tem00 wrote:

snapshot09 wrote:

Just because yesterdays state of technology showed higher MP could may result in compromised image quality, does not mean the same is true today. Products improve and soon an old mindset becomes obsolete. Perhaps the actual user samples will surprise us and result in better performance.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,093Gear list
Like?
It is called: Marketing

Pixels still sell lot of cameras
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
regis3
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?

snapshot09 wrote:

Because Sony is holding them by the ba$$s and have an influence of what models Nikon is allowed to produce.

Nikon wants to continue make APS and FF DSLRs?

Fine, just put in their P&S-models every cra$$y sensor that Sony is pushing them (yes, even the pixel-condensed small sensors).

I won't be surprised if the Nikon 1 system production was influenced by Sony also - they could easily produce a camera similar to the G1X, but this stu-pid company (Sony) made them do that mistake, and the result was half-baked cameras, with many compromises.

BTW - you were right 5 months ago about the P310 - nice prediction

theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,090
Like?
In reply to regis3, Feb 1, 2012

The megapixel wars are over. The marketers won. As long as consumers remain ignorant, the marketers will ALWAYS win. Check, and mate.

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947
Like?
In reply to theranman, Feb 1, 2012

I give up.

Edlolim
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?
In reply to ehazera, Feb 1, 2012

ehazera, the forum or coolpix?
--
Ed

Edlolim's gear list:Edlolim's gear list
Olympus SH-50
snapshot09
Like?
In reply to Edlolim, Feb 3, 2012

Cameras with too many MPs.

Edlolim wrote:

ehazera, the forum or coolpix?
--
Ed

gogo2
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to snapshot09, Feb 3, 2012

Because Nikon does not make their own sensor. Since Sony don't want to make 12MP sensor, Nikon have to change to use 16MP. Sony manufacturing plant is limited to only do 1 type of megapixel at certain period.

snapshot09 wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads