Epson 3800 Print Head Release For Windex Cleaning

Started Jan 31, 2012 | Discussions
MKT
MKT
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Epson 3800 Print Head Release For Windex Cleaning
Jan 31, 2012

I've read posts where people have used Windex to clean their Epson 3800 print heads. But I have yet to find one that gives useable directions on how to release the print head from its parked position so that it can be moved over a Windex treated paper towel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,713
Like?
Re: Epson 3800 Print Head Release For Windex Cleaning
In reply to MKT, Jan 31, 2012

I believe you're supposed to do a nozzle check and once the printer head starts moving, you quickly unplug the printer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
harvey lexton
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Jan 31, 2012

i don't have your printer model, but i do have the 2400 and i think you should look for the maintenance mode and their you will find the cleaning and test print commands.

MKT
MKT
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Jan 31, 2012

Thanks for your response.

Hmm. Has anyone actually done this and can confirm it doesn't harm the printer? A bit anxious …

MKT
MKT
Like?
In reply to harvey lexton, Jan 31, 2012

The 3800 doesn't have a maintenance mode, to my knowledge. It does allow nozzle check and cleaning by either the control panel or Printer Utility software. But I am looking at using Windex on a paper towel to clean the print head.

harvey lexton wrote:

i don't have your printer model, but i do have the 2400 and i think you should look for the maintenance mode and their you will find the cleaning and test print commands.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,713
Like?
In reply to MKT, Feb 1, 2012

I'm sure I'll catch grief for this but here goes..........

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3800+head+cleaning+windex

George Puglisi
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
In reply to MKT, Feb 1, 2012

My friend did it on his HP printer . He was ready to throw it out and someone told him to put windex in the cartrige that cloging and i think let it seat for a day or two. He did it and tell me it working great again
--
George v Puglisi

MKT
MKT
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 1, 2012

Wow, that's a pretty fancy Google search. Thanks.

bahamonde
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to MKT, Feb 2, 2012

this would help
http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/Unclog3800-3880.asp

MKT wrote:

I've read posts where people have used Windex to clean their Epson 3800 print heads. But I have yet to find one that gives useable directions on how to release the print head from its parked position so that it can be moved over a Windex treated paper towel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

MKT
MKT
Like?
In reply to bahamonde, Feb 2, 2012

bahamonde wrote:

this would help

Thank you. I had been looking at the directions for a couple of days now.

I was struggling with the direction, specifically the following step:

"3. Move the cartridge housing and move the plug from the socket, so the cartridge housing can be released."

I can't figure out how to move the cartridge housing, and I don't see any plug. And how can the cartridge housing be moved before it's released?

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142
Like?

They mean the power plug.

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,976
Like?

MKT wrote:

bahamonde wrote:

this would help

Thank you. I had been looking at the directions for a couple of days now.

I was struggling with the direction, specifically the following step:

"3. Move the cartridge housing and move the plug from the socket, so the cartridge housing can be released."

I can't figure out how to move the cartridge housing, and I don't see any plug. And how can the cartridge housing be moved before it's released?

With my older printers, I press the Cartridge change button which releases the cartridge unit from the parked position -- then, pull the Power plug from the wall which then allows the print unit to be easily moved back and forth as when printing.
--
Vernon...

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Feb 2, 2012

Yes but the PRO 3899 and 3880's carts are stationary and mounted externally in ink cart compartment in the front left side of the printer so there is not such button as in any of the other printers with carts mounted on the head carriage.

Though I've never done it, I've noticed that when you turn on the printer the head will dance around a bit. Maybe you can pull the power plug off at that very moment while the head is not parked.

Can't guarantee anything though and only someone who has actually performed this operation will be able to provide definitive details.

Guillermo Shashte
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

The print head release can be reached only when you remove the right housing. You need to get the service manual. The 3800 construction maybe similar. Here it's the link:

http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/epson_mimaki_roland_printer_rep.html

check pages 91 and 103
--
GS

Apotheker
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
Just pull the power plug out: it will do the trick
In reply to Guillermo Shashte, Feb 2, 2012

I have cleaned my Epson Pro 3800 print head already couple of times. Just execute a manual nozzle check from the printer panel and when the print head moves to the left, pull out the power cord immediately. That's it: I use a mixture of 1/3 strong ammonia 1/3 isopropanol and 1/3 distilled water to soak my print head.

Use a 2 pieces of strong paper towel and fold it into a ribbon, which fits exactly in the overspray area of the printhead and soak it with the solution until wet, but not dripping and move the print head over it, so the nozzles make contact with your cleaning solution. Normally 1 or 2 hours should suffice with this strong solution.

Also put a few drops on the parking pads on the right with this solution, so the dried ink can be loosened by soaking. I also clean the rubber swabs on the right.

I once had a tenacious clog with magenta and this method works like a charm.
--
Crazy about printing, profiling and refilling printer cartridges

MKT
MKT
Like?
Re: Just pull the power plug out: it will do the trick
In reply to Apotheker, Feb 3, 2012

Thank you Apotheker. Nothing can beat hearing from someone who's done it!

MKT
MKT
Like?
In reply to MKT, Mar 1, 2012

Thanks everyone for your input. I had a vexing problem, and cleaning my print head using Apotheker's instructions (substituting Windex for his brew, however) solved it.

The problem: my prints began to look greenish or cyanish, but no streaks or bands, and nozzle check print patterns showed no gaps. So I first suspected old ink (over three years old!), but replacing the Magenta and Light Magenta with new ink did zero.

The solution: Cleaning the print head with Windex, then a couple of cleaning cycles, and the prints now are back to normal. So somehow these clogs do not manifest themselves as streaks or bands, and nozzle checks fail to catch them.

Now I am happy.

kcbeatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761
Like?
In reply to MKT, Mar 2, 2012

Glad you finally got the information you needed. I've used this method on both my Epsons and it just works. I think that it is the amonnia in the Windex that actually does the magic. I also put a few drops on the parking pad ( the sponge pad that the head parks over when not printing.
--
Kevin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads