fEE Error on Nikon D7000 with 50mm f/1.8

Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions
lwtay
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
fEE Error on Nikon D7000 with 50mm f/1.8
Jan 30, 2012

Both my NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8 and the AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D are showing a fEE error on my D7000 despite working fine on my old D70. I have sent in the 50mm to Nikon to review and it came back saying that the lens was perfectly fine and that it was probably due to my D7000.

My Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S works fine on my D7000. So I don;t think my D7000 is faulty.

I have checked the aperture ring to make sure it was locked at min aperture, and cleaned the contacts. I finally brought the issue to the local Calumet and the guy tells me that these lens are not compatible with the D7000 and that I specifically needed to get DX lens. Has anyone have the same diagnosis? It seems from a previous thread this problem is not uncommon but it didn't offer any resolution.

If it's indeed true, what is the equivalent lens to get that would work on the more sensitive D7000?

I thought that all Nikkor lenses were all backward compatible....

Thanks.

Nikon D70 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fred W. Cornelius
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: fEE Error on Nikon D7000 with 50mm f/1.8
In reply to lwtay, Jan 30, 2012

I just had a simiular problem with my D7000. With my Sigma 24-60 2.8 the camera simply would not turn on at all, nothing except the card read light would blink once briefly. The lens works perfectly on my D2Xs , D300s and Fuji S5. Whats with this camera? My older 300 2.8 af works fine along with a couple of older nikkors.
--
Fred W. Cornelius

Fred W. Cornelius's gear list:Fred W. Cornelius's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 3100 Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gerry328
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?

I have the D7000 and AF 50mm f/1.8D and they work fine. Make sure that your D7000 is not set to work with the aperture controlled by the lens aperture ring instead of the sub-command dial otherwise you'll get that error message even if you lock the aperture ring at f/22.

gerry328's gear list:gerry328's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C310 Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
AI lever may be damaged

lwtay wrote:

Both my NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8 and the AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D are showing a fEE error on my D7000 despite working fine on my old D70. I have sent in the 50mm to Nikon to review and it came back saying that the lens was perfectly fine and that it was probably due to my D7000.

It sure sounds like a communication problem between the lens and your D7K. Is there a way you can try them on another D7K body? I would suggest your local store but it is not likely to be in stock. Perhaps some friend or local camera club could help you.

My Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S works fine on my D7000. So I don;t think my D7000 is faulty.

It could be faulty. Have you confirmed your D7K will work with any lens with an aperture ring? I suspect both your problem lenses have aperture rings, the G lens does not. Do you know if it will meter with a manual focus lens?

The D7K uses its AI aperture position feeler lever to know your D lens is set to min aperture. This AI lever can be damaged from mounting old Pre-AI manual focus lenses or perhaps even old F-mount accessory (extension tube or what ever) that predate Nikon's introduction of AI (automatic indexing) aperture lenses.

I have checked the aperture ring to make sure it was locked at min aperture, and cleaned the contacts. I finally brought the issue to the local Calumet and the guy tells me that these lens are not compatible with the D7000 and that I specifically needed to get DX lens. Has anyone have the same diagnosis? It seems from a previous thread this problem is not uncommon but it didn't offer any resolution.

You need to get a new local camera sales guy. Don't tell him he is full of it until after you know they don't have any D7Ks in stock.

If it's indeed true, what is the equivalent lens to get that would work on the more sensitive D7000?

Not true.

I thought that all Nikkor lenses were all backward compatible....

While the basic mount design has continued the communication between lens and body has evolved. It is possible to cause harm by mounting certain lenses and you should know what to avoid. Putting a Pre-AI lens on a modern body is one of them. Google is your friend.

Thanks.

You're welcome and I hope this helps. John

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
lwtay
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to gerry328, Jan 30, 2012

Gerry328
Can you elaborate:

Make sure that your D7000 is not set to work with the aperture controlled by the lens aperture ring instead of the sub-command dial otherwise you'll get that error message even if you lock the aperture ring at f/22

I typically set to shoot at "A" aperture controlled. I tried mounting the lens with shooting on "Auto" and turned the autofocus lever to Manual and it starts to flicker between fEE and some f readings. But it really flickers back and forth.

Thanks,

mtlr
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
In reply to lwtay, Feb 1, 2012

I had the same malfunction in my almost new D7000, worked fine with AF-S lenses but showed the fEE error when any of my AF-D lenses were mounted, although AF-D lenses are all compatible with the D7000. The cause was a faulty sensor and electronic board that detect AF-D lenses, I sent my camera to Nikon service under warranty and it was repaired at no cost, the turn around time was about 2 weeks. I would say your camera has the same issue and probably needs the same repair work by Nikon, best luck.

mtlr's gear list:mtlr's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
il433
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to lwtay, Feb 1, 2012

Both of my version of those lenses (50mm 1.8D & micro 60mm 2.8D) work perfectly with my D7000, as does my 35-70mm 2.8D. Unfortnuately, if you are sure it was locked at min aperture, then I'm not sure what else it could be - but I do know they (at least mine are) are compatible with your D7000.

il433's gear list:il433's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to il433, Feb 1, 2012

My 50mm f1.4D works just fine with my D7000. The only time I got that error was when my contacts on the kit 18-105vr were needed to be cleaned off. I treated them with contact cleaner and it never happened again

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads