How do you frame your 13x19 prints?

Started Jan 28, 2012 | Discussions
Darkroomdude
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
How do you frame your 13x19 prints?
Jan 28, 2012

I just bought a wide format printer, just wondering where you guys get your frames and mats for this size paper.

Darkroomdude's gear list:Darkroomdude's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,697
Like?
Re: How do you frame your 13x19 prints?
In reply to Darkroomdude, Jan 28, 2012

If you print with a 1/2-inch margin all around (12x18), and then mat with 3 inches all around, you will have an 18x24 matted print, which is a stock frame size found in most art supply stores. I sell mostly 12x18 prints on 13x19 stock for exactly this reason. You can get pre-cut mats for this size from a number of online sources. One I have used, clearbags.com, sells show kits that include mats, backing boards, and a resealable clear bag that allows customers to handle the prints without getting their finger prints all over the product:
http://www.clearbags.com/mats-backing/show-kits/clearbags-18-x-24d-show-kit.html

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, Jan 28, 2012

I print a lot of that size also. You might also try http://www.framedestination.com http://www.americanframe.com or http://www.dickblick.com .
Tom W(ret)
--
...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +4 more
sjwolfhope
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
In reply to TomWret, Jan 29, 2012

Michael's Craft Stores sell a nice 13"X19" frame in their Home frame collection. That is what I use - print borderless and no mat. Frame is flat black and looks nice - at least to me. They often have them on sale or use the 40% off coupon that is in every Michael's ad.

Steve W.

Ramonn
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
In reply to sjwolfhope, Jan 29, 2012

I usually will print 12 x18 on a sheet of 13 x 19 and then matt to size 18 x 24 as suggested by R. Ritchie. Michaels has a nice 18 x 24 black or brown frame in their Home Collection series that is very nice. For a stock frame it is nicely constructed with considerable heft. The frame retails for $45 but if you buy during their frequent 50% off sales with an extra 25% off you can get a good frame job for next to nothing. The total for my last frame with single matt was $42.38. There is usually an additonal fee if you wish Michaels to assemble , but it is easlily done by me.

Vibrio
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?
Ikea ribba frames
In reply to Darkroomdude, Jan 29, 2012

you'll not find 13x19 inch frames very easily -

Darkroomdude wrote:

I just bought a wide format printer, just wondering where you guys get your frames and mats for this size paper.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,223
Like?
In reply to sjwolfhope, Jan 29, 2012

sjwolfhope wrote:

Michael's Craft Stores sell a nice 13"X19" frame in their Home frame collection. That is what I use - print borderless and no mat. Frame is flat black and looks nice - at least to me. They often have them on sale or use the 40% off coupon that is in every Michael's ad.

One warning about frames from Michael's is their frames generally have a very small rabbit, so you can't fit a nicely mounted and matted print inside.

Another thing if you print on 13x19 paper, borderless and frame the print you'll lose about 1/2 of the image all around . This is because putting it in the frame will hide some of the edge of whatever you put in, and the borderless print function enlarges the image to ensure no white left so that makes 3/16" or so being lost of the image.

Whenever I do print borderless, I prepare my image for printing with a 1/8" white border around the outside so that when the printer enlarges the image I lose very little of the image to the borderless print image enlarging process.

Darkroomdude
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jan 29, 2012

Thanks for all this information, being new to large format I find it all very helpful ...

Darkroomdude's gear list:Darkroomdude's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
tman1991
Contributing MemberPosts: 712Gear list
Like?
In reply to Darkroomdude, Jan 29, 2012

check this place out for mats also:

http://www.webpictureframes.com/

I print borderless 13x19s and get the 12 1/2 x 18 1/2 matted to fit in 18x24.

I have over 50 prints up in Michaels frames the home collection $21.99 each (before sales and coupons).

tman1991's gear list:tman1991's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II +2 more
RDoc
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
In reply to Darkroomdude, Jan 30, 2012

Depends a lot on your taste. I frame with very thin gold metallic frames, no mat, no glass, just a protective spray. I leave a 1/8" border and the frame overlaps the image by 1/4" all around. Obviously the image surface isn't very protected, but it looks a whole lot better than with glass, particularly if you're printing on matte paper. If one got damaged I can just reprint it, although it hasn't actually been a problem at all in practice. Anyway, no one mats canvas inkjet images or mounts them under glass and the surface is at least as delicate as paper.

I generally get my frames from American Frame.

plantdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,844
Like?
In reply to Darkroomdude, Jan 31, 2012

I print with a slight margin and fit the print into a frame that has precut 3D matt at 12x18. I forget the name of the frames but they are made in LA USA out of metal and easily slide open to mount the print. The advantage is you can easily swap out prints by popping off the end of the frame and sliding out the matt assembly. Inserting in a new print takes just a couple of minutes. Also, a quick hanger can be changed from horizontal to vertical in a few seconds. After all, who want to see the same print for months when you have fresh pics to display... unless you have lots of wall space. A very innovative frame system for rotating your display. Frames are thin, black, white, 3D matt and metal. I can look up the name if interested. I buy them at Cheap Petes in San Francisco. Note, not the cheapest frames, but found nothing like them.

Greg

Chas
Contributing MemberPosts: 946
Like?
B&H...
In reply to Darkroomdude, Feb 6, 2012

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=13x19&ci=892&N=4294204017

I just bought 4 yesterday
--
chas... Zenfolio user... Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 30D

brentis
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to sjwolfhope, Feb 6, 2012

I've found that Michael's is great as well!! Their non matted 13x19 usually go for under $25 each.. I use an Epson 2880, and the largest size it prints is a 13 x 19..works out well for me!!
--
Brent Bellamy
http://www.brentsphotographictips.blogspot.com

Slimforu
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to Darkroomdude, Feb 9, 2012

A lot of great info in this thread. I appreciate it.

Kim R
Forum ProPosts: 17,874
Like?
Ditto
In reply to Slimforu, Feb 10, 2012

Slimforu wrote:

A lot of great info in this thread. I appreciate it.

Ditto -

I just printed out my first image larger the 8x12 on a epson 4900 I got the first of the year. Printed a 12x18 as per the first reply in this thread and will matte and frame as 18x24 as per the reply too. Wow! Cool!
Thanks for the thread and all of the suggestions and help too.

--

KimR

'The very fact that I find myself in agreement with you other minds perturbs me, so that I hunt for points of divergence, feeling the urgent need to make it clear that at least I reached the same conclusions by a different route.'

plantdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,844
Like?
In reply to plantdoc, Feb 10, 2012

Framatic is the name of the frame with quick change capability. Check their offerings at framatic.com. Not the cheapest frames, but I just switched 4, 11x14 prints in about 20 minutes in 16x20 frames with white, 3D type matts. Now I can print and rotate prints as a display of recent trips, photo outings etc. Only a few family type pics are a permanent wall hanging.

Greg

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,464Gear list
Like?
Print at 12x18 for 18x24 frame with 3-inch mat border
In reply to Darkroomdude, Feb 12, 2012

On your 13 x 19 paper, print the image at 12x18 for mounting in an 18x24 frame. That way, you'll have some white area that underlays your mat. When you cut the window in your mat to 11.75 x 17.75 inches (overlapping your image by 1/8 inch on all sides), you'll have a mat width of (about) 3 inches on all sides. Looks great. Of course, if you're lazy like me, print the image at 12.25 x 18.25 inches, then you can eliminate the fancy math and cut the window in the mat to exactly 12x18.

mimmo
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: Print at 12x18 for 18x24 frame with 3-inch mat border
In reply to DotCom Editor, Jun 12, 2012

I have limited wall space .I buy 13 x19 at aaron bros in socal just 1/2 in blk wood frame
they have sales buy one at about 22.00 get one for a penny.
I then print 12 x 18 on 13 x 19 with half inch border and a 4 pt blk rule

no mat they look great. careful positioning is needed when printing I have a canon pro 9000 mk2
also do on 11x 14 paper 8x12 with 12 x 16 matt in 12 x 16 frame.

archival matts are expensive but aaron bros has many frames and good sales.Also custom framing. Good info here thanks guys

AusPic
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
In reply to mimmo, Jun 13, 2012

I trawl through Salvation Army outlets, also Opportunity Shops, and all manner of Charitable resellers of pre loved goods where folks donate items they no longer have a use for. I get some REALLY good frames with suitable matting and glass for next to nothing, All I have to do is print to a size if not an exact match, or often I can find a perfect fit!

Cheers
--
Andrew G

detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
In reply to mimmo, Jun 13, 2012

Would you explain how you center your prints with the Canon PixmaPro 9000mkII please. Mine are centered in the short dimension, but offset in the long dimension when printing 8.5x11 or 13x19.

I like your black border idea. How do you set that up. I guess one could use any color in principle.

Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads