New GH2 vs 5n Sample

Started Jan 28, 2012 | Discussions
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
New GH2 vs 5n Sample
Jan 28, 2012

I am not digging this, dont know what I was expecting from the 5n, but it was certainly more, lots more. In raw the gh2 is ahead imo, detail, dr are the same, colour the same. In fact these samples are so similar in raw once wb and auot exp its just incredible. No nr on either, default sharpen. Colour is identical with gh2 slightly ahead on grey. DOF is the same for both cameras, this whole aps-c dof thing is hype-hype.

I know the gh2 was a little closer, my model was being disobedient lol, but really gh2 is a stormtrooper, fast more accurate focus but the 5n is small light and the peaking is cool, but it cant match gh2 for detail maybe with the £1k 24mm zeiss.

I continue to like the flexibility of the 5n but the gh2 is a better camera in all respects and the aps-c phenomena is way overblown. Both set at 3:2 ratio btw.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cani
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
Re: New GH2 vs 5n Sample
In reply to Adventsam, Jan 28, 2012

Why ISO 200 and 1/100s with the NEX instead of ISO 100 and 1/50s?

Cani's gear list:Cani's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Let me be a devil's advocate and ask this . .

Adventsam wrote:

I am not digging this, dont know what I was expecting from the 5n, but it was certainly more, lots more. In raw the gh2 is ahead imo, detail, dr are the same, colour the same. In fact these samples are so similar in raw once wb and auot exp its just incredible. No nr on either, default sharpen. Colour is identical with gh2 slightly ahead on grey. DOF is the same for both cameras, this whole aps-c dof thing is hype-hype.

I know the gh2 was a little closer, my model was being disobedient lol, but really gh2 is a stormtrooper, fast more accurate focus but the 5n is small light and the peaking is cool, but it cant match gh2 for detail maybe with the £1k 24mm zeiss.

I continue to like the flexibility of the 5n but the gh2 is a better camera in all respects and the aps-c phenomena is way overblown. Both set at 3:2 ratio btw.

. . . Aren't you using the cheap kit zoom on your NEX while using either the much better 14-45 or maybe the 14/2.5 on the GH2? Just asking.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?

What's interesting here is that Sony's shot looks very slightly brighter than the GH2.

This is odd, because according to EXIF, GH2 was shot at ISO160 and 1/50s while 5N was shot at ISO200 and 1/100s.

If one were to normalize the ISO (by uppping GH2 to 200 to make exposure identical), there's still a whole one stop difference in exposure.

I'm guessing both shots were taken within very close time period so there wasn't any change in lighting.
--
Cheers,
Marin

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,506Gear list
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

In raw the gh2 is ahead imo, detail, dr are the same, colour the same.

if you claim something about raw, dude, post raw files to start with

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,198
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

I am not digging this, dont know what I was expecting

I think this might be the issue.
What exactly ARE you expecting to see ?

If you also threw a decent point and shoot into the mix and took the same shot with that. What would you expect then?

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Jan 28, 2012

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

You can have the raw files if you want, will upload them. Dont you trust my lr4 skills, are the images identical almost for you?

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, Jan 28, 2012

Big Ga wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

I am not digging this, dont know what I was expecting

I think this might be the issue.

If you also threw a decent point and shoot into the mix and took the same shot with that. What would you expect then?

I wouldnt expact a point n shoot to match these 2? the gh2 is has the best raw files bar zero and the 5n is apparently one of the best aps-c? so am not sure that would prove anything.

Adventsam
Like?
Re: Let me be a devil's advocate and ask this . .
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Jan 28, 2012

Its the 14-140,

Tim in upstate NY
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Its the 14-140,

. . . Still a better quality lens than the NEX kit zoom.

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

"this whole aps-c dof thing is hype-hype." Yes at f4... too bad you don't have the 50mmf1.8 for the 5n and the Oly 45f1.8 for the Gh2...you might see the difference.
Boris

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Cani, Jan 28, 2012

Nead to check metering on 5n, iso 200 of 5n = iso160 of gh2.

Cani wrote:

Why ISO 200 and 1/100s with the NEX instead of ISO 100 and 1/50s?

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Jan 28, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Its the 14-140,

There arent many options for nex?

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Boris, Jan 28, 2012

Boris wrote:

"this whole aps-c dof thing is hype-hype." Yes at f4... too bad you don't have the 50mmf1.8 for the 5n and the Oly 45f1.8 for the Gh2...you might see the difference.
Boris

You cant buy a 50mm f1.8? the lens are in short supply, even then the difference will be in peoples head.

Cani
Like?

That's fine, but you can't really compare DR then as it decreases when ISO increases.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Cani, Jan 28, 2012

Cani wrote:

That's fine, but you can't really compare DR then as it decreases when ISO increases.

At this setting 5n is 1 full ev more than gh2, apparently, total tosh!

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,198
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

I wouldnt expact a point n shoot to match these 2? the gh2 is has the best raw files bar zero and the 5n is apparently one of the best aps-c? so am not sure that would prove anything.

But what are you trying to prove?

What is it you are expecting to see ??

Cani
Like?

Another problem I have with this comparison is the different framing for both shots.

First, framing is better with the GH2 (closer-up), and second you avoid the highlight clipping at the top right corner (window) you have with the NEX5N.

Though, it's interesting, and only zooming in I can't see any significant difference. Need to look at the originals and pixel peep to tell them apart.

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,506Gear list
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

You can have the raw files if you want, will upload them. Dont you trust my lr4 skills, are the images identical almost for you?

sure, do this please... also also underexpose some scene by several stops, we then will see which sensor/camera delivers.

PS: when underexposing make sure to set Nex to its base ISO and vary the exposure time... do not handicap to make an advantage to GH2, which can't go below ISO160

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
Tim in upstate NY
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Its the 14-140,

There arent many options for nex?

. . . That's a fair point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads