hexanon on GRX

Started Jan 26, 2012 | Discussions
Reg Ister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?
hexanon on GRX
Jan 26, 2012

Hexanon-m lenses are not cheap. Is there a way of mounting a Hexanon-AR lens on a M-mount?

Thanks.

Reg

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,167
Like?
Re: hexanon on GRX
In reply to Reg Ister, Jan 26, 2012

Reg Ister wrote:

Hexanon-m lenses are not cheap. Is there a way of mounting a Hexanon-AR lens on a M-mount?

Try contacting RJ (seller jinfinance on Ebay). He might have a Konica Hexanon AR to Leica M mount adapter in development.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lenseye
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
In reply to Reg Ister, Jan 26, 2012

As far as I know none of the major known brands make this adapter, you'll have better luck trying some of the local U.S. brands maybe! The only Hexanon AR adapter I know is made by Discover Photo of China for M4/3 bodies and therefore of no use here!

By the way, the Hexanon AR lenses are among the more affordable lenses at least in Japan and can be acquired for very reasonable prices! Not so for Haxanon M lenses though! (arm and a leg!)

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,167
Like?
In reply to lenseye, Jan 26, 2012

lenseye wrote:

As far as I know none of the major known brands make this adapter, you'll have better luck trying some of the local U.S. brands maybe! The only Hexanon AR adapter I know is made by Discover Photo of China for M4/3 bodies and therefore of no use here!

RJ (jinfinance) on Ebay has a Konica AR to Micro-FourThirds adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konica-AR-lens-Panasonic-G1-GH1-micro-4-3-adapter-/110398841410?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b448a242#ht_3270wt_1315

He was rumored to be working on a similar adapter for M-bayonet mount.

By the way, the Hexanon AR lenses are among the more affordable lenses at least in Japan and can be acquired for very reasonable prices! Not so for Haxanon M lenses though! (arm and a leg!)

The Konica Hexar-M was a limited production camera with a relatively small number of units made. Very nice lenses by all accounts, but scarce and thereby somewhat pricey.

-- hide signature --
lenseye
Like?
In reply to Reg Ister, Jan 27, 2012

If you end up buying a non-major brand adapter, make sure you can return it in case the tolerances are off! That is known to happen with cheaper productions specially out of China. While most are pretty nice ( I have a couple) the percentage of bad units is much higher than, say, German or Japanese makers and hence the lower prices. If the maker allows you to send back units and swap with good ones, you will be safe as far as your purchase goes...

lenseye
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Jan 27, 2012

Hexagon M-lenses have gone up in price over the years because of their scarcity, however, at least in Japan they can be found at almost every reputable used camera store. Example: http://www.mapcamera.com/shopping/search.php?condition_id=8936& it's all in Japanese but you get the picture...

Carl Schofield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reg Ister, Jan 27, 2012

I asked RJ if he had this adapter and he said that he planned on making it. I sent a follow-up request for an update in early January, but no response so far (his shop was closed for the New Year holidays most of January).

Here was his first response about the Konica AR to M adapter on Nov 30 2011:
thank you... I'll be making it ... and keep you posted...
best,

R.J.

• jinfinance

-- hide signature --
kanzlr
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
In reply to lenseye, Jan 27, 2012

actually, M-Hexanons are pretty cheap for what they are, and compared to the M mount competition.
They are usually half of comparable Leicas and similar to the price of a Zeiss.

-- hide signature --
lenseye
Like?
In reply to kanzlr, Jan 27, 2012

True, they are very good lenses but used to be a lot cheaper! Some of them go for over $2000 a piece in Japan! That's rivaling Leica... but they are almost as good I think, some Leica lovers debate that but nevertheless... if you find one at a good price... go for it, sooner or later there will be an M or L adapter for it!

tomkmem
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

I once had a M-Hexanon 28mm 2.8 and really loved it. I wish I had not sold it now. Very nice build and all. One thing I find myself doing every now and again is looking out for the special 60mm f1.2 M-Hexanon. Quite rare but the sample pics I've seen have really made me want to buy one.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GXR

Blog: http://www.kmem.org

tomkmem's gear list:tomkmem's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton
kanzlr
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
In reply to tomkmem, Jan 27, 2012

the 28/2.8 m-hexanon is my favorite lens on the GXR.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy to focus, even wide open. Better than on the NEX, but still not easy without the loupe.

-- hide signature --
lenseye
Like?

They regularly have the 28mm f2.8 lens at MapCamera in Tokyo and in Mint condition, it sells for 71800 Yen which is equivalent to $936!!! Currently they are sold out though! They will have more soon I am sure!
http://www.mapcamera.com/shopping/item.php?map_code=3000004445026

tomkmem
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

Ah right now i'll hold off. The Hexanon I'm looking for is the 60mm f1.2
--
Ricoh GXR

Blog: http://www.kmem.org

tomkmem's gear list:tomkmem's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton
lenseye
Like?

I am not sure if holding off will help though... at this shop in Osaka where I do a lot of my camera shopping they used to have it for well... errr... Mmmm... 588000 Yen which at today's exchange rate would be a whopping $7668!! See for yourself:
http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/products/detail/6522

They claim on this page that only 200 units were ever made and hence the high price! It's just rare... and good!

Reg Ister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carl Schofield, Jan 28, 2012

Thanks Carl, and thanks all the others!

I will have a look in the RJ site.

Carl Schofield wrote:

I asked RJ if he had this adapter and he said that he planned on making it. I sent a follow-up request for an update in early January, but no response so far (his shop was closed for the New Year holidays most of January).

Here was his first response about the Konica AR to M adapter on Nov 30 2011:
thank you... I'll be making it ... and keep you posted...
best,

R.J.

• jinfinance

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads