Colleague bought the NEX 5 - can you help her?

Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions
Robert Holloway
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
Colleague bought the NEX 5 - can you help her?
Jan 25, 2012

Hi everyone,

One of our team has just bought the Nex5 along with the standard zoom and a wide angle prime. I got a demo yesterday and it's very nice. I use a Canon DSLR, but immediately saw just how interesting this camera really is.

She's disappointed with the output of her new camera.

I quickly saw why.

She has is it set on auto and had no understanding of shutter speeds freezing action, depth of field or just about anything.

I tried giving her a quick tutorial but soon realized that this was a bigger job than i could spare time for. If it featured the Nex5 that would be even better.

Can anyone suggest an online resource that would help a newbie with the basics?

She's really keen to learn and even the small demo I gave her yesterday, where she saw the background get blurred, got her very excited.

Many thanks
Rob

-- hide signature --

'Nothing beats fast glass'

Robert Holloway's gear list:Robert Holloway's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
chillzatl
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?
Re: Colleague bought the NEX 5 - can you help her?
In reply to Robert Holloway, Jan 25, 2012

I would tell her to read the manual that comes with it. It has decent info on the various modes and such. Alternately there is a book out there specifically on the nex-5/3 that delves a little deeper into the basic usage of the camera and the how's and why's on why one would use this mode over that. You can find it on amazon or ibooks.

I personally found the auto-modes to be pretty solid out of the box, though not perfect for every situation, but I never expected them to be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalimb
Regular MemberPosts: 301
Like?

hi robert;
i also just moved up to an aps-c sized sensor coming from pns.
it took a while for me to learn but the trick was to just keep shooting.

try the P modes first. that's the easiest.
next, i'd have her try S mode.
it all should go well from there on.
at least for me it led me to understand shutter time, aperture, ISO and EV.

Robert Holloway wrote:

Hi everyone,

Robert Holloway
Like?
In reply to chillzatl, Jan 25, 2012

Thanks for this reply

I was thinking about her learning the fundamentals of photography (she did not know that 1/1000th had a an impact on her shots and had no clues that the lens even had an aperture, let alone what it does.

I don't think a book needs to be camera specific. maybe there's a photography for dummies

Thanks
Rob
--

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Robert Holloway
Like?
In reply to jalimb, Jan 25, 2012

Thanks

She expressed disappointment at some of her shots that would clearly have been addressed by a slight understanding of the basics

She wants to learn but does not know where to start

Shooting is fine, but I feel she won't understand what she has achieved and why and she seems to want to learn

Rob

-- hide signature --

ShaneTheEE
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?

Have her take a look at this little web-app to understand the very basics of aperture, ISO and shutter speed.

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/

Robert Holloway
Like?
In reply to ShaneTheEE, Jan 25, 2012

Fantastic, this will be a great help!

I was doing this real time with her yesterday with her taking pictures of me on a chair
Rob

ShaneTheEE wrote:

Have her take a look at this little web-app to understand the very basics of aperture, ISO and shutter speed.

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/

-- hide signature --

Bruce Bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?

Also have her check local high school or JC night classes for basic photography. Even a city Rec Dept. can have them. Some camera shops as well. If there's a local camera club, they may have folks that like to teach beginners.
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
Jim_Ryder
Regular MemberPosts: 489
Like?
Re: Here's a book
In reply to DezM, Jan 26, 2012
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to Jim_Ryder, Jan 26, 2012

Jim_Ryder wrote:

I hear good things about this : http://www.friedmanarchives.com/NEX-3-5/index.htm

Yes, that's exactly what she needs. But it and send her the PDF, and it has a lot of basic photography tips

ExNewt
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to Jim_Ryder, Jan 28, 2012

Wow - nice find (Friedman book). BTW I heartily recommend keeping a PDF of the manual ( and this book) on your phone and iPad/tablet. This way you always have a reference.

ExNewt
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to Robert Holloway, Jan 28, 2012

Also note Busch's book is available from Apple's iBook store. I am not positive, but based on experience I don't know if the Kindle version has images in color or B&W; in iBooks they are in color.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads