Installing icc profile on Epson 3880

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions
seeingstars
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Installing icc profile on Epson 3880
Jan 21, 2012

I went to the Eposn site and downloaded the icc profile for Hot Press Natural paper for Windows. Epson says directions on how to load them will also be included in zip folder, but of course they are not - they include a pdf of the paper's specs instead. After unzipping the file, you get an executable file - every thing I can find on the internet says right click the file and click "install". When I right click I don't get an install function, but an "open" function. When I click on that it runs the executable and looks like it must be installing it, but when done, I still can't find the paper type in the Photoshop Print dialog box under paper types (even after restarting the program and even rebooting the computer) A search for .icc files on the harddrive never finds one that matches this paper type, so I can't move it to the location of the others if it did indeed create it. This is on a Windows 7 machine and Photoshop cs3. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks so much for any help with this very frustrating problem!
Mark

Sagittarius
Senior MemberPosts: 2,985
Like?
Re: Installing icc profile on Epson 3880
In reply to seeingstars, Jan 21, 2012

Hi,

Look in C/Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color. Also it can be .icm file. At least all my Epson printer paper profiles are .icm.
--
Best regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seeingstars
Like?
In reply to Sagittarius, Jan 21, 2012

Sagittarius,

Thanks for that - since posting the first question I tried repeating everything about 4 times and the profiles now appear with the others in the location you mention. I don't know why they didn't the first four times I did the same thing, but they are there now. They still don't appear in the Photoshop Print box with the other papers, althought they are labeled as .icc in the folder where they are... Any thoughts on the next step? Thanks again for your help -
Mark

Sagittarius
Like?

Hi,

If you have profile installed in the above location, it should show up in PS. You might need to restart computer though.
--
Best regards

seeingstars
Like?

Hi -

I did try rebooting, but still no luck. Thanks for your thoughts on it - I really appreciate it -
Mark

Sagittarius
Like?

Hi,

Does it show up in Printer Settings Dialog Box? Do you have color management in printer driver disabled and enabled in PS? Also usually profiles associated with current printer are placed at the top of the list. Scroll to the very top of the list.
Best regards

seeingstars
Like?

Hi-

Sorry for my confusion on my end - Is the printer settings dialog box the one that comes up inside the printing box in Photoshop? If I open up the photoshop print box, I have the "let the printer determine colors" box checked. If I click on the page set-up box a new box pops up that I assume is the printer dialog box - that is where I can see paper types, landscape/portrait settings, paper sizes, etc.? I can't find anyplace there that turns control over to photoshop or the printer to check.

The only place where I can see the icc profile just installed is if I go to the "Assign Profile" spot under the Edit menu in Photoshop - it appears as a profile in the long list if I click on the bottom choice in that box. (I had that set for Adobe RGB) The screen changes values if I click on it, so it seems to be setting a screen profile.

I am afraid I just don't know enough about how to set it all up. I have tried following various books to no avail, as they all seem to have something different on their screens than I have on mine... Thanks again for your help, but you may be helping someone too far lost....
Mark

Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?

Control Panel/Color Management, then associate the profile with the printer and it will appear with the other profiles for that printer.

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,857
Like?
Read/watch these....

Epson PDF and video, For setting up CS3 with Windows correctly to use ICC profiles and color management.

If you set the settings as indicated and use your downloaded Epson profile in place of the red river one, you should get a successful print.

It is quite simple once you do it and understand what you just did.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how-to-use-icc-color-printer-profiles.html

Let us know how it worked out?

Good luck

Bob P.

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,857
Like?
The CS5 tutorial has the R3880 settings
In reply to Petruska, Jan 21, 2012

listed so you use them.

Bob P.

seeingstars
Like?
Re: The CS5 tutorial has the R3880 settings
In reply to Petruska, Jan 21, 2012

To All,

Thanks so much - I will give all of these a try, although at the moment my wife is telling me it is time to make dinner and shovel the driveway out, so I may not get to it until tomorrow. Thanks a lot though for taking the time to help me with this - I really appreciate the professional help!
Mark

Taurus43
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
In reply to seeingstars, Jan 22, 2012

seeingstars wrote:

.....I click on that it runs the executable and looks like it must be installing it, but when done, I still can't find the paper type in the Photoshop Print dialog box under paper types

It sounds as if you are expecting the "Paper Type" to show up in the Epson printer driver since this is the only place you will see actual paper types, rather than just profile names. In PS you will see all the installed profiles, but installing a new profile does not make the paper type appear in the Epson dialog (printer setup) box. The Epson profile should come with instructions on what paper type to choose when setting up the printer to use the profile.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,118
Like?
In reply to Taurus43, Jan 22, 2012

the latest drivers from Epson natively include HotPress and ColdPress but for older drivers, you can download just the profile. The included PDF indicates that the desired media selection in the driver would be Ultrasmooth Fine Art

Kurt Sonderegger
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?

seeingstars wrote:

Hi-

Sorry for my confusion on my end - Is the printer settings dialog box the one that comes up inside the printing box in Photoshop? If I open up the photoshop print box, I have the "let the printer determine colors" box checked.

This may be your problem. You have to check the "Photoshop Manages Colors" box. You will then see a drop-down list of your paper/printer profiles. Pick the one that matches the paper you will be using and then set the Epson recommended paper type in the printer driver. Be sure to also check "No color management" in the printer driver.

Kurt

seeingstars
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Jan 22, 2012

Taurus and Howard,

AH! Thanks for that - that is exactly what I thought would happen. But I am still not sure how Photoshop is going to know that I now want to use Hot Press Natural if I just pick the Fine Art Smooth? So I guess I need to just associate the printer and the paper and then only print on Hot Press Natural until I want to switch papers, and then reassociate everything to the new paper? I am sorry I am so dense (it's not hereditary in my family - I just come by it naturally...) but I still can't figure out how to do that part. Thanks for clearing the other part up about the paper choice not appearing. (So why don't they make it just like the other paper choices though?) Thanks to everyone for your patience and knowledge!
Mark

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,118
Like?

not quite. in the PS printing dialog, you'd select Photoshop Manages Color and then you'd (find and) select the Hot Press Natural profile. Then, in the actual computer Print dialog, you'd set 'no color management' and media type Ultrasmooth Fine Art.

there is no 'associatiion'. You just have to realize that the color profile is different from the 'media type' (media type tells the printer driver about how much ink to lay down and other NON-color related information).

seeingstars
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Jan 22, 2012

Howard,

Ah- light dawns on Marble Head! Thanks so much for this last piece of info - I am off to the printer! Thanks agian - I really appreciate everyone's patience and help -
Mark

sam_siciliano
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, May 28, 2012

Howard Moftich wrote:

not quite. in the PS printing dialog, you'd select Photoshop Manages Color and then you'd (find and) select the Hot Press Natural profile. Then, in the actual computer Print dialog, you'd set 'no color management' and media type Ultrasmooth Fine Art.

there is no 'associatiion'. You just have to realize that the color profile is different from the 'media type' (media type tells the printer driver about how much ink to lay down and other NON-color related information).

I found this discussion very helpful, since I'm doing this same type thing a few months later. However, the odd thing is that with Photoshop Manages Color under 'Printer Profile', the profile you select is not something obvious like Hot Press Natural, but it is 'SP3880 HPNWFAP MK 1440 v1'. What's with that?! That profile name corresponds to the accompanying explanatory pdf file with the driver, but why such a cryptic name? Guess HPN is hot press natural.

Also, there is also a 2cond profile showing up in the Photoshop pull down list which has identical name but with 2880 instead of 1440. Anyone know what the difference is and which one you'd select? They certainly don't make this easy. There are dual 1440 and 2880 profiles for four of the signature papers, the two cold and hot press ones. However, exhibition fiber paper has only one profile.

Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to sam_siciliano, May 29, 2012

sam_siciliano wrote:

Also, there is also a 2cond profile showing up in the Photoshop pull down list which has identical name but with 2880 instead of 1440. Anyone know what the difference is and which one you'd select?

You would typically select the profile that matches the resolution you chose in the Epson driver dialog.

My R1900 works this way too, but my R3000 has only a single non-resolution-specific profile for each paper.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,525
Like?
In reply to sam_siciliano, May 29, 2012

sam_siciliano wrote:

I found this discussion very helpful, since I'm doing this same type thing a few months later. However, the odd thing is that with Photoshop Manages Color under 'Printer Profile', the profile you select is not something obvious like Hot Press Natural, but it is 'SP3880 HPNWFAP MK 1440 v1'. What's with that?! That profile name corresponds to the accompanying explanatory pdf file with the driver, but why such a cryptic name? Guess HPN is hot press natural.

If could be a little simpler, but it needs the printer, the paper, the resolution, the version, and has to have few enough characters for most of it to display in a small dialog, or that becomes a problem too.

Also, there is also a 2cond profile showing up in the Photoshop pull down list which has identical name but with 2880 instead of 1440. Anyone know what the difference is and which one you'd select?

You need to try the 1440 dpi against the 2880 dpi and see which works best for you – and it could be image dependent. In general I prefer 1440 dpi for most images on matt papers, although I will normally put down more ink than specified.

Brian A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads