OMD first photos (parts of anyway)

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?
OMD first photos (parts of anyway)
Jan 20, 2012

images courtesy 43rumors

While the series is named “OM-D” the first camera name could be “OM-D5“. I am pretty confident that those will be the specs (expect minor changes only):

• Camera has a classic OM design

• It has a magnesium body

• It is weathers sealed

• weight 373 g (body only).

• 16 megapixel sensor optimized for High Dynamic Range

• 200 up to 25.600 ISO

• Built-in electronic viewfinder 1.44 million dots (positioned in the center of the body liek the old OM optical viewfinders and same resolution as the external VF-2 viewfinder (Click here to see on Amazon).

• 610.000 pixel OLED swivel 3 inch screen.

• Five-axis image stabilizer in body.

• FAST AF and 3D tracking

• Comes in Balck or Silver.

• Price: Around $1.100 in USA or 1.000 Euro in Europe.

text copied from 43rumors

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Rob Chan
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Feeling optimistic now
In reply to Rriley, Jan 20, 2012

That single leak made me feel more optimistic about the OM-D now. Looks like the body is made of brushed black chrome, which is shiny and classy. As far as design goes, I hope it will stay a bit closer to my beloved OM-1n MD.

At the end of the day, as good as it looks, the sensor is what counts. Here's hoping that it will be one to make or break the OM-D.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_chan/

'All men will die, but few have truly lived'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dab1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?
Re: Feeling optimistic now
In reply to Rob Chan, Jan 20, 2012

Rob Chan wrote:

That single leak made me feel more optimistic about the OM-D now. Looks like the body is made of brushed black chrome, which is shiny and classy. As far as design goes, I hope it will stay a bit closer to my beloved OM-1n MD.

Mag Alloy sprayed blck

At the end of the day, as good as it looks, the sensor is what counts. Here's hoping that it will be one to make or break the OM-D.

hopefully the rumoured trick with the green sensels for extra DR

-- hide signature --

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,687
Like?
strange and new tidbits

I am seeing lots of all new stuff here:

• Fn2 button

• shutter release with a dial around it (for EV maybe or mode-dependent)

• large (mode) dial on top of the camera resembling old shutter speed dial

• the strange form of that pointy thing at the back (thumbrest but seemingly in the shape of that lever with which the film used to be advanced)

• an icon in the form of a ticked box (don't think I have seen that on Oly cameras before)

• an icon on a button that resembles a tone curve or something similar...

Let the speculation begin!
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Rriley
Like?
In reply to dab1, Jan 20, 2012

dab1 wrote:

Rob Chan wrote:

Mag Alloy sprayed blck

I must say I have some doubt about magnesium alloy now
if their quoted weight is right it seems too light for that
well to me anyway

well thats the bayer layer, same trick from E330
of course we will be told/reminded how its really a 5 yr old sensor
and neither the bayer layer or the AA filter count...

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

Rriley
Like?
Re: strange and new tidbits
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 20, 2012

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I am seeing lots of all new stuff here:

• Fn2 button

• shutter release with a dial around it (for EV maybe or mode-dependent)

• large (mode) dial on top of the camera resembling old shutter speed dial

• the strange form of that pointy thing at the back (thumbrest but seemingly in the shape of that lever with which the film used to be advanced)

yes just like a film advance lever

• an icon in the form of a ticked box (don't think I have seen that on Oly cameras before)

• an icon on a button that resembles a tone curve or something similar...

it does have a HDR feature or some such
I guess there are lots of things to discover ...

Let the speculation begin!
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

-- hide signature --

Riley

Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
Looks good so far ...
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 20, 2012

It's amazing how a small image like that can generate so much excitement.

I'm still struggling to understand what is meant by 5 axis stabilization. Are these five axes confined to a single plane? Or is there something more going on? Being able to move the sensor in the fore-aft direction would open a lot of interesting possibilities, including enhancing the AF system. Moving the sensor fore and aft would seem a lot faster than moving large lens elements around.

Leaving that aside, my big hope for this body is that it allow me to use by current FT lenses and an elegant migration to a high-end mFT system. If they could just that, then in my view this would a be a winner.

In the last few years I've become sort of immune to hype surrounding new camera announcements. Maybe this time will be different, like the old days when Oly was offering up genuine innovations with each new release. Here's hoping.

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD first photos (parts of anyway)

the spec is pretty much what i expected, but I'm liking the look of the dials and layout from what i can see, the thumbgrip is good too, i almost bought something similar for the GF1.....and still might.
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
dab1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?

Rriley wrote:

dab1 wrote:

Rob Chan wrote:

Mag Alloy sprayed blck

I must say I have some doubt about magnesium alloy now
if their quoted weight is right it seems too light for that
well to me anyway

Mag Alloy sprayed either black or chrome.

well thats the bayer layer, same trick from E330
of course we will be told/reminded how its really a 5 yr old sensor
and neither the bayer layer or the AA filter count...

Not quite, one of the two green sensels has significantly reduced colour, i.e.
almost panchromatic & therefore more sensitive to luminance at the shadow end.
The other green sensel is the other way.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,560
Like?

Images blocked where I am, but the specs are encouraging. Importantly, the body weighs less than I'd expected for such a full feature set. By comparison, the G1X that has so many Canonite hearts aflutter weighs a whopping 19 ounces. This body with the 12-50 zoom is a scant couple ounces more, and a more modest zoom plus a pancake prime could match or undercut that.

An aggressive move by Oly that warrants applause.

Cheers,

Rick

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796
Like?
pitch yaw roll x y
In reply to Jeff, Jan 20, 2012

Jeff wrote:

I'm still struggling to understand what is meant by 5 axis stabilization. Are these five axes confined to a single plane? Or is there something more going on? Being able to move the sensor in the fore-aft direction would open a lot of interesting possibilities, including enhancing the AF system. Moving the sensor fore and aft would seem a lot faster than moving large lens elements around.

This was discussed in the m43 forum: pitch, yaw, roll, x, and y.

I think that Olympus realized they needed to improve the IBIS, and they did. Kudos for them for paying attention.

Leaving that aside, my big hope for this body is that it allow me to use by current FT lenses and an elegant migration to a high-end mFT system. If they could just that, then in my view this would a be a winner.

That's not going to happen. There aren't enough FT users left for this to be worth the R&D costs. There are at least a hundred times more users of Nikon and Canon DSLRs that Olympus is going after.

sigala1
Like?
yes
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Jan 20, 2012

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Images blocked where I am, but the specs are encouraging. Importantly, the body weighs less than I'd expected for such a full feature set. By comparison, the G1X that has so many Canonite hearts aflutter weighs a whopping 19 ounces. This body with the 12-50 zoom is a scant couple ounces more, and a more modest zoom plus a pancake prime could match or undercut that.

An aggressive move by Oly that warrants applause.

Based on the hype (which may not translate into reality), Olympus claims to have addressed the three parts of the system that I think needed to be addressed to compete performance-wise against pro DSLRs: better focusing, better IBIS, and a better sensor. And the ability to use and EVF and a flash at the same time (although I think they could have done this with TWO flash hotshoes instead of building the EVF into the camera, but whatever). And then they added the weather-sealing which is considered a high-end pro feature.

Greytop
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: pitch yaw roll x y
In reply to sigala1, Jan 20, 2012

sigala1 wrote:

That's not going to happen. There aren't enough FT users left for this to be worth the R&D costs. There are at least a hundred times more users of Nikon and Canon DSLRs that Olympus is going after.

Why not?

For one it's a stated aim of Olympus and two it makes business sense to bring 4/3rds users over to m4/3rds by offering a dual solution. A camera like this would be an ideal vehicle.

Think about about it, why wouldn't they want to pair their most advanced body to their very best glass?

Greytop's gear list:Greytop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Gheghevic
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
Great news...

Finally they have made it!!

Let's see how good it will be!

--
http://www.dpreview.com/Galleries/7857021790/photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gheghevic78/

Gheghevic's gear list:Gheghevic's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
DVSteve
Contributing MemberPosts: 909
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

You haven't been a registered member here very long, and I would imagine you were previously living under a rock for many years based on the numerous ridiculous comments you have made recently.

I don't know what will be available on this camera, but I do know that there are still many people out there who own ZD 4/3 glass. Also, do you REALLY believe that Olympus cares not one bit about all of the stellar 4/3 lenses they have in their catalog?

chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?

~ $1100 for the body....

Whew, I had some thoughts that Oly will price this gem like the ridiculously priced Fuji X1-Pro....

positive news...

sigala1
Like?
In reply to DVSteve, Jan 20, 2012

DVSteve wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

You haven't been a registered member here very long, and I would imagine you were previously living under a rock for many years based on the numerous ridiculous comments you have made recently.

I don't know what will be available on this camera, but I do know that there are still many people out there who own ZD 4/3 glass. Also, do you REALLY believe that Olympus cares not one bit about all of the stellar 4/3 lenses they have in their catalog?

No, Olympus doesn't care about the "stellar 4/3 lenses". They did a BCG growth matrix analysis, and the 4/3 system is a dog business: losing money and with no chance of growth. Their goal is to kill that business but without creating the perception of disloyalty to their customers. Thus the marketing spiel that you have bought into.

viorel
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
Great news if true,

it looks like my next camera:)

and the price is right too...nothing to complain by now (I assume IQ is good as always from Oly).
Regards
--
Viorel
http://viorelp.smugmug.com/

chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

DVSteve wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

No, Olympus doesn't care about the "stellar 4/3 lenses". They did a BCG growth matrix analysis, and the 4/3 system is a dog business: losing money and with no chance of growth. Their goal is to kill that business but without creating the perception of disloyalty to their customers. Thus the marketing spiel that you have bought into.

99% of folks who buy cameras to take photos do not really care sigala......

The 'dark and end of the world' aficionados might actually agree with ya...

So take your trolling over to those forums...

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,282
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

Sounds like you know the Gunman on the Grassy Knoll as well
--

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads