Does my X10 stab function ?

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions
Christian Chambon
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Does my X10 stab function ?
Jan 20, 2012

I've my X10 since a few days and it seem's that I have a problem with the stab.

How can I be sure that my stab is functionnal ?

I ask that because whatever I change on the stab menu, it seem's that nothings change. I tried to take the same picture with or without the stab but I can't see any difference (in a dark room, lens 112, f2.8 and speed to 4).

When the stab is on, should I have an icon on the screen ? I have only one when the stab is off...

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Christian

 Christian Chambon's gear list:Christian Chambon's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +3 more
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Christian Chambon, Jan 20, 2012

Am I correct in thinking you're talking about the I.S (image stabilization) ?
--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Christian Chambon, Jan 20, 2012

Christian Chambon wrote:

I've my X10 since a few days and it seem's that I have a problem with the stab.

How can I be sure that my stab is functionnal ?

I ask that because whatever I change on the stab menu, it seem's that nothings change. I tried to take the same picture with or without the stab but I can't see any difference (in a dark room, lens 112, f2.8 and speed to 4).

When the stab is on, should I have an icon on the screen ? I have only one when the stab is off...

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Christian

I am betting that your IS works fine.

There is no way that you'regoing to see any improvement from the IS on a 1/4s (not to even talk about a 4s exposure...) @ 112mm because the system is design to help you gain 2-3 stops at most .

If you take your example (112mm) and use the classical 1/f approximation to get a reasonable "blur-free" picture, you get ~ 1/100s as the lower bound for sharp picture.

One stop gain from the IS gives you 1/50s.
Two stops gets you to 1/25s and three stops 1/10s.

Bellow that, you're out of specs (4s woudl be 8 stops...)

In essence, if you want to test your IS @112mm use 1/25s or 1/10s but not bellow.
--
http://lol-photoblog.blogspot.com/

 lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Christian Chambon
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jan 20, 2012

Yes, excuse me, I was speaking about IS...
--
Christian

 Christian Chambon's gear list:Christian Chambon's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rainman1978
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Christian Chambon, Jan 20, 2012

Christian Chambon wrote:

Yes, excuse me, I was speaking about IS...
--
Christian

Try set IS=off, it actually works better for me.

If my understanding is correct, whether the "safety shutter speed" is met or not, by switching IS=on should aid in getting sharper images at a higher %.

It's not happening on my X10.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Christian Chambon
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to lol101, Jan 20, 2012

I try with your settings (1/50) but it's the same, no signs of IS.

If I compare the 2 pictures (with IS and without) the best is the one without IS.

I don't understand... An icone should appear on the screen !
--
Christian

 Christian Chambon's gear list:Christian Chambon's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Christian Chambon
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to rainman1978, Jan 20, 2012

It's the same for me : pictures are better with IS off.

Isn't it curious ? on a lot of review, I've seen that the IS of the X10 was very good...
--
Christian

 Christian Chambon's gear list:Christian Chambon's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FritsThomsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to lol101, Jan 20, 2012

lol101 wrote:

Christian Chambon wrote:

I've my X10 since a few days and it seem's that I have a problem with the stab.

How can I be sure that my stab is functionnal ?

I ask that because whatever I change on the stab menu, it seem's that nothings change. I tried to take the same picture with or without the stab but I can't see any difference (in a dark room, lens 112, f2.8 and speed to 4).

When the stab is on, should I have an icon on the screen ? I have only one when the stab is off...

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Christian

I am betting that your IS works fine.

There is no way that you'regoing to see any improvement from the IS on a 1/4s (not to even talk about a 4s exposure...) @ 112mm because the system is design to help you gain 2-3 stops at most .

If you take your example (112mm) and use the classical 1/f approximation to get a reasonable "blur-free" picture, you get ~ 1/100s as the lower bound for sharp picture.

Yes ..and that rule of thump applies to 35mm (FF) film or DSLRs.

Its my experience with my APS-C sized DSLR that you would have to doulble the speed compared to FF.
The much smaller pixels on the X10 would require something like 1/300sec....!!

One stop gain from the IS gives you 1/50s.
Two stops gets you to 1/25s and three stops 1/10s.

Bellow that, you're out of specs (4s woudl be 8 stops...)

In essence, if you want to test your IS @112mm use 1/25s or 1/10s but not bellow.
--
http://lol-photoblog.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Christian Chambon, Jan 20, 2012

Turn IS to "Continuous" and focus to manual. Then autofocus on something via the AEL/AFL button and turn the focus wheel back and forth one notch. Live view on-screen will show how IS stabilizes even the extremely zoomed image.

Turn off IS and do the same.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Christian Chambon, Jan 20, 2012

Christian Chambon wrote:

I try with your settings (1/50) but it's the same, no signs of IS.

If I compare the 2 pictures (with IS and without) the best is the one without IS.

I don't understand... An icone should appear on the screen !

Try it with series of 10 pics. If you come to the same conclusion, then chances are that your IS isn't working properly indeed.

I just did the test @ 1/25s and with IS gives me almost 100% sharp pics whereas without gives me about 50% blurred.

 lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rainman1978
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Timur Born, Jan 20, 2012

Timur Born wrote:

Turn IS to "Continuous" and focus to manual. Then autofocus on something via the AEL/AFL button and turn the focus wheel back and forth one notch. Live view on-screen will show how IS stabilizes even the extremely zoomed image.

Turn off IS and do the same.

This only shows that the IS mechanism is in work. It can't tell if it is effective.

I just shot another 20 pics and its always Is=off is better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to rainman1978, Jan 20, 2012

rainman1978 wrote:

This only shows that the IS mechanism is in work. It can't tell if it is effective.

Original question: "How can I be sure that my stab is functionnal ? "

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,997Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my X10 stab function ?
In reply to Christian Chambon, Jan 20, 2012

Christian Chambon wrote:

It's the same for me : pictures are better with IS off.

Isn't it curious ? on a lot of review, I've seen that the IS of the X10 was very good...

Here's a really slow exposure at high iso. I think image stabilization is working well in my X10.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

 Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads