Challenge thread: Abstract Photography

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions
LeeStar
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Challenge thread: Abstract Photography
Jan 20, 2012

A thread for questions, comments, etc., for the challenge, "Abstract Photography."

-- hide signature --

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art."
— John F. Kennedy

LeeStar's gear list:LeeStar's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C300 Kodak EasyShare Z650 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,806Gear list
Like?
Re: Challenge thread: Abstract Photography
In reply to LeeStar, Jan 20, 2012

LeeStar wrote:

A thread for questions, comments, etc., for the challenge, "Abstract Photography."

Link?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538Gear list
Like?
In reply to onlooker, Jan 20, 2012

Should be a fun one. I'll try to come up with something.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
RuthC
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

Why only 50 entries altogether, and 2 entries per person? I'm sure it will fill fast, and inevitably folks who miss out will grumble. How about making the total number of entries 100? I like the opportunity to enter twice, with different subject.

LeeStar
Like?

onlooker wrote:

Link?

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=6142

Darn it, I keep forgetting to put the link! Sorry.

-- hide signature --

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art."
— John F. Kennedy

Kodak EasyShare C300 Kodak EasyShare Z650 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
LeeStar
Like?
double post N/T
n/t
LeeStar
Like?
In reply to RuthC, Jan 20, 2012

RuthC wrote:

Why only 50 entries altogether, and 2 entries per person? I'm sure it will fill fast, and inevitably folks who miss out will grumble. How about making the total number of entries 100? I like the opportunity to enter twice, with different subject.

I wasn't sure it would be popular here, as I don't notice many abstract photos posted, wasn't even sure I'd get 50! However, I have no problem extending the amount of entries if it turns out to be very popular, so that more people have an opportunity to enter.

Lee
--

— John F. Kennedy

Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

I think you could safely raise the total to 100. If you get less entries than you expect, well, it's less of a frustration than having entrants find the Challenge full before its submission time expired.

Same happens in some of the other challenges, with themes that you'd think could fill up the limit within a day... for some strange reasons, they do not. This aspect is hard to foresee, and it doesn't hurt to provide enough spare place.
--
Fil

Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?

Sounds interesting (since my wife asks be too often, "What the heck is that !?")
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life".

(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Slynky
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Jan 20, 2012

(...asks me too often...)
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life".

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
LeeStar
Like?
In reply to LeeStar, Jan 27, 2012

FYI since this challenge has received 62 entries in the first few hours of being open, I've raised the limit to 150. I'll be keeping it at that, but if it continues to be very popular I'll repeat the challenge, maybe make it a regular thing, so everyone who wants to will have a chance to enter.

My reason behind keeping the number of entries more manageable is because many voters avoid the very large challenges, and I want those who enter to have the benefit of as many voters as they can.
--

— John F. Kennedy

RuthC
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

This makes a lot of sense to me. Yes, it is very popular, though I've noticed that there are a number of entries which SEEM to have done considerable PP work on their entries, rather than allowing the artwork to be done in the camera, as you specified.

LeeStar
Like?
In reply to RuthC, Jan 27, 2012

RuthC wrote:

This makes a lot of sense to me. Yes, it is very popular, though I've noticed that there are a number of entries which SEEM to have done considerable PP work on their entries, rather than allowing the artwork to be done in the camera, as you specified.

Nothing jumps out at me as being glaringly obvious, but then back in the 20 years that I shot film, I enjoyed taking many sorts of 'special effect' type photos in the camera so I know how a creative person can get shots you'd never believe were not 'doctored' in pp. I'm not a photoshop expert though, so if anyone has specific entries that they take issue with, you're welcome to lodge a complaint and I will inform the photographer they need to explain how the shot was made without doing major pp.

There are a few that I'd consider borderline abstract , but that's such a subjective word that it will really be up to the voters to vote how they see fit. Unless someone enters something obvious, like a snapshot of a cat playing with a ball and both are clear and visible. Otherwise this is more or less an 'anything goes, take your chances with the voters' type of challenge.

Lee

-- hide signature --

— John F. Kennedy

Slynky
Like?

Yeah, a quick explanation of how the abstract was done would be nice. It's easier to read what a person says about how it was captured and believe that was the method (or not as the case may be).

I looked through it and noticed a lot of descriptions were blank.

LeeStar wrote:

RuthC wrote:

Nothing jumps out at me as being glaringly obvious, but then back in the 20 years that I shot film, I enjoyed taking many sorts of 'special effect' type photos in the camera so I know how a creative person can get shots you'd never believe were not 'doctored' in pp. I'm not a photoshop expert though, so if anyone has specific entries that they take issue with, you're welcome to lodge a complaint and I will inform the photographer they need to explain how the shot was made without doing major pp.

There are a few that I'd consider borderline abstract , but that's such a subjective word that it will really be up to the voters to vote how they see fit. Unless someone enters something obvious, like a snapshot of a cat playing with a ball and both are clear and visible. Otherwise this is more or less an 'anything goes, take your chances with the voters' type of challenge.

Lee

-- hide signature --

— John F. Kennedy

-- hide signature --

LeeStar
Like?
Congratulations and new series for abstract
In reply to LeeStar, Feb 10, 2012

Congratulations to the winner and runner's up, and thanks for all who made this challenge such a success. And don't forget, since it's so popular I've created a series just for this genre. The first one has been announced. The submission limits on these will be much smaller and more manageable since they will be repeating. I plan to mix up the rules a little on each one; we'll have some that will allow major post processing, some to focus on a certain color or location, etc. The series will run as long as there is interest.

Lee
--

— John F. Kennedy

Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 1,903Gear list
Like?
Damn! Almost got last place...
In reply to LeeStar, Feb 10, 2012

It's been a long-held ambition to get last place in a challenge. I've had a couple of firsts, but never last. I figure that last is better: first place means that your photo is populist stuff that appeals to the average voter, while last means you are so far outside the square that it makes your head hurt just to think down to their level. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away...

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
Slynky
Like?
Re: Damn! Almost got last place...
In reply to Joe Pineapples, Feb 10, 2012

I'm not sure how I should feel...

I entered two photos and when I received email confirming 5th place and 47th place, I thought, "Darn! I didn't think my hotel atrium shot would do that bad!" so when I went to look at the voting on it, discovered it was the photo that finished 5th. I just knew my "pencils" would finish better than the hotel shot.

So, in my case, got a 5th place but not with the photo I expected to--I guess that shows I don't have a clue what I'm doing...LOL.

Joe Pineapples wrote:

It's been a long-held ambition to get last place in a challenge. I've had a couple of firsts, but never last. I figure that last is better: first place means that your photo is populist stuff that appeals to the average voter, while last means you are so far outside the square that it makes your head hurt just to think down to their level. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away...

Joe

-- hide signature --

Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Feb 10, 2012

It may be funny, but I'm satisfied with 48th and 52nd place, since I didn't actually do anything but a bit of cropping in both. There are some excellent works in this Challenge and I look forward to the next in the series. I just can't grasp the reasons of some people who removed their pics... General public voting should not be so important as to make anyone remove their work...
--
Fil

LeeStar
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Feb 10, 2012

Slynky wrote:

So, in my case, got a 5th place but not with the photo I expected to--I guess that shows I don't have a clue what I'm doing...LOL.

I like Joe's philosophy the best! First is for the brainwashes masses -- last is for the artistes . Seriously though, I have to admit to being very partial to your hotel shot. I'm surprised it didn't do better than 5th. The pencils was an interesting shot too.

-- hide signature --

— John F. Kennedy

LeeStar
Like?
In reply to Joe Pineapples, Feb 10, 2012

Joe Pineapples wrote:

Joe

I love your attitude! I've got to adopt it for the challenges that I enter.

Actually I wish there was a bit more creativity on this site. I'm talking about outside-the-box unique vision, but of course they wouldn't do well in challenges. Maybe that's why challenges like this one are so popular, it gives people an excuse to exercise their creativity instead of worry about making a perfectly exposed, perfectly pp'd, perfect photo that is still sharp as a tack when viewed at 300% magnification.

-- hide signature --

— John F. Kennedy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads