NEX7 just not good enough

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807
Like?
NEX7 just not good enough
Jan 19, 2012

Now I know I will get a lot of grief about this and before anyone says it, yes I have had lots of cameras.

I have let my NEX 7 go because of the poor lens selection.

There is at the moment just not enough lenses to give me the flexibility I had with the Canon 5D mk11.

I know you could use the LEA2 adaptor, but to be honest I can't see the benefit of putting an adaptor and the a bigger lens on a compact body, and even then you loose image stabiliser. I just don't see the point of the adaptor!!

I couldn't live with a cheap plastic slow lens (18-55) on a fantastic body, ok there is the Zeiss but it's ridiculously expensive for what it is. No doubt Sony will brings better quality lenses over the next couple of years, but for now it's a serious compromise!

Obviously the NEX7 has many advantages and superb IQ etc, never the less IMO it can't give the level of sophistication and photographic creativity yet.

So I have sold my NEX7 to someone who was on the waiting list, and he was happy to pay me what I paid for it 3 weeks ago. I know it's gone to a good home and one where Leica lenses await!!!

I have now bought A77 + 16-80 f2.8 + Sony 70-300 + 50mm f1.4

Ok it's heavier but I just feel it's better equipped to take a variety of opportunities and feels great.

Oh and yes I bought the Panasonic GX1 as a walkabout.

Before you say it, how long will this lot last? Who knows I just love technology

Ian

Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
Re: NEX7 just not good enough
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 19, 2012

You know what enjoy your technology junket. You do know though that it will never end, never end, never end.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
Gees Ian

ianbrown wrote:

Obviously the NEX7 has many advantages and superb IQ etc, never the less IMO it can't give the level of sophistication and photographic creativity yet.

Ian

"NEX7 just not good enough"

Ian, I don't own a NEX but keep a close eye on what goes on in here.

That statement and the title of this thread depends on who is behind it, I hate to tell you, but it really does. Never seen anyone ask so many questions and yet go through so many cameras hoping to find the almighty grail, guess what Ian, you won't.

The best photographic tool out there, is what you are looking through, your eyes.

Good luck Ian.

Danny.
m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

tsammyc
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?

I have the Zeiss Biogon ZM 35mm F2 on my NEX 5N with EVF. It's extraordinary. Nothing comes close for walking around. Peaking manual focus with it is superb and the clarity and contrast is staggering.

I don't use the 18-55 at all. However, I did buy the 70-210, which is a sharp stabilised lens. Other than that I've used a 8-16mm Sigma (excellent) for UWA and some legacy Pentax glass (FA77) for portraits. After using the 5N for 6 months, I've finally sold my Pentax DSLR and about half the lenses.

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
Several dozen cameras
In reply to relate2, Jan 19, 2012

In the last 7 or 8 months, he had 5D, 7D, S90, then he bought both GH2 and G3, then he bought A77, then Nex-5N, then Nex7, now he is going back to A77...

I am sure I missed some of his recent cameras, but don't worry, he will be switching again soon ...

It's never ending story for some of these gadget lovers.

Geir Eivind Mork
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?

Now I know I will get a lot of grief about this

Probably because your title is the tablod type. What you are saying is that the NEX system is not complete enough for someone used to the selection available to DSLR. Not that the NEX-7 in particular is lacking something

-- hide signature --

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing
.. Camille pissarro

Geir Eivind Mork's gear list:Geir Eivind Mork's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,666Gear list
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Now I know I will get a lot of grief about this and before anyone says it, yes I have had lots of cameras.

Well by making such a statement you are setting yourself up I guess.

There is at the moment just not enough lenses to give me the flexibility I had with the Canon 5D mk11.

You've only just worked that out ?

I know you could use the LEA2 adaptor, but to be honest I can't see the benefit of putting an adaptor and the a bigger lens on a compact body, and even then you loose image stabiliser. I just don't see the point of the adaptor!!

That's why it's an optional accessory.

I couldn't live with a cheap plastic slow lens (18-55) on a fantastic body, ok there is the Zeiss but it's ridiculously expensive for what it is. No doubt Sony will brings better quality lenses over the next couple of years, but for now it's a serious compromise!

Ah I see the problem, you think the camera is responsible for your creativity. I'd get the biggest most expensive camera and lenses you can afford then, problems sold.

So I have sold my NEX7 to someone who was on the waiting list, and he was happy to pay me what I paid for it 3 weeks ago. I know it's gone to a good home and one where Leica lenses await!!!

Leica lenses? what's that all about? they're just lenses at the end of the day, not mystical magical items that make the perfect photograph, clearly YMMV on this one.

Ok it's heavier but I just feel it's better equipped to take a variety of opportunities and feels great.

So now you have a load more gear to learn and drag about, enjoy :).

Before you say it, how long will this lot last? Who knows I just love technology

I'm cool with that, just don't kid yourself it's for any other reason

Ian

-- hide signature --

It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,343Gear list
Like?

I am smiling Ian, for in your frustrations you have typified a typical customer experience.

I don't disagree with you and I wish you well.

I, for one, came first in touch when AE was novel - on SLRs. With automated, mechanical, aperture, exposure became a snap. But otherwise, lenses were all manual, there was no IBIS, no OSS. But focusing was easy, with the parallax view.

Today, only the Nex brings back the same level of enjoyment. Yeah, sometimes Auto-Everything is convenient, but so was my P&S. Using a manual lens is, well, refreshing.

And then, the (lack of) bulk makes it a joy to go out again. Small bag, light lenses, great results.

Yeah, I see the dSLR folks all the time. Usually with a large zoom lens mounted. And I smile if I switch to a fast prime, or an ultrawide.

I may look into the LA-EA2. Up to 85mm, I can do without IS, and for daylight/fast action only. Mind you, I have all the E-mount lenses (except 55210) and still go out with manual lenses. For fun.

I bought the Nex originally as it was cheap. Well, cheap it is no more (for me), but as a hobby, it still remains one of my cheaper ones.

I find the light (entry level) dSLRs very plasticy and the higher end very heavy. Plus, the bag to carry them is sizeable. For only a few lenses. With the Nex, I can take more and have more fun, my way.

Perfection? No, it is not. Fun? For sure.

The A77 is better technology, more keepers for sure, but the Nex-7 is more novel, and the beginning of a new approach. One that I welcome.

Again, I can/do take the Nex to places where I would never take a dSLR. That's the appeal for me.

Everyone has their own choice. I hope that you are happy with yours. Great lens selection for starters. I am sure that you will add more.

Now, how about that Nex-9?

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 55,625Gear list
Like?
DramaVille thread ------->
In reply to nzmacro, Jan 19, 2012

Yeah - that was one serious trip into Dramaville ! . what he meant was Glass for nex7 not good enough for Ian

I can see the A77 and GX1 going back also, his track record of selling and returning gear points toward an endless dissatisfaction with cameras which I doubt that noisy pair will satisfy .....

he should have stuck with the 5D Mk2 - it's got the rez , glass availability and high ISO performance - or got a D700 which has the High ISOs and glass ..

I REALLY Hope you find your perfect camera Ian - I really do

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Samsung NX20
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
Re: DramaVille thread ------->
In reply to AdamT, Jan 19, 2012

AdamT wrote:

Yeah - that was one serious trip into Dramaville ! . what he meant was Glass for nex7 not good enough for Ian

I can see the A77 and GX1 going back also, his track record of selling and returning gear points toward an endless dissatisfaction with cameras which I doubt that noisy pair will satisfy .....

he should have stuck with the 5D Mk2 - it's got the rez , glass availability and high ISO performance - or got a D700 which has the High ISOs and glass ..

I REALLY Hope you find your perfect camera Ian - I really do

Totally agree.

Well your sig says it all Adam......

Well said mate.

Danny.

m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,340
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Fortunately I came to the same conclusion before I spent any money on an upgrade. I'll wait until the next round to see what shakes out from the various manufacturers.

Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Your problem is that you have no knowledge of the value of money,

Your post indicates that to me.

I am not impressed with your ability to buy what you want especially since you were not aware of Sony's lens roadmap for the Nex7 when spending $1200 for it.

Most of us here have to be careful when spending $1200.

I suggest you get a new hobby that stretches your finances, you may enjoy it more and spend your money more wisely.

Happy New Year.

rainer_g
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
In reply to rjjr, Jan 19, 2012

Stupid thread, really.

I do share his opinion regarding available lenses though. What's making it worse is, that Sigma and Tamron first put out lenses similar to the few that already exist, instead of filling the gaps.

The NEX-7 is really great, so much better than the 5 still. My only complaint in regards to the camera goes to the flash synch speed. Why is that limited to 1/160s of a second? Is that really all you Sony guys could do? That's pretty much a showstopper for daylight fillflash. Even my D40 could do 1/500s, WITH mirror.

NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,096Gear list
Like?
And i thought I was bad! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

simen_s
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?

So your reason for saying that Nex 7 is not good enough is the lens selection only? Hate to break it to you, but that has nothing to do with the body. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the lens selection was known to you when you bought the camera, and their relative performance.

So what exactly did you expect, and in what way did the Nex 7 body disappoint? There are legitimate griefs, I just don't see any listed in your post.

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to simen_s, Jan 19, 2012

I always felt the same with the m4/3rd cameras. Olympus has many lenses to offer but none touch their HQ or SHQ 4/3rd quality. But I think you maybe expecting to much to ask for a small lens llike that to perform like huge glass and have AF. Maybe I am wrong. There is all sorts of options if you don't mind MF. I can put my 28mm Voigtlander on the NEX7 and have enough DOF I can scale focus all day long. With that said I do have the Ziess on the way, but it is back ordered.

I am pretty happy with the NEX7. The manual controls are a dream. I think even the kits can get the job done. Bigger glass will always be better.
--
Greg

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 55,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to rainer_g, Jan 19, 2012

Even my D40 could do 1/500s, WITH mirror.

only because it was a legacy from the D70 using the same shutter and sensor (same for the D50 & 70S) 500th sec is very rare indeed thesedays - the D3X and 1DS Mk3 only do 250th as do the D700, D7000, 1D Mk4, 1DX even !! ..

250th would have been better of course and should have been the speed.

-- hide signature --

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Samsung NX20
C.Eaton
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?

Quodos to you Ian.

I also agree that the lens selection is a serious limiter to the NEX system being taken seriously as a photographic system.

However, I'm sure within a few years a lot of the third party lens manufacturers will offer native e-mount lenses as will Sony itself.

Personally, I like to keep things simple these days so a 5n with the bog standard kit lens suffices, at least until we start seeing some faster e-mount zooms.

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?

I agree that NEX needs more native lenses.

That said, I do find it odd that somebody managed to purchase an NEX7 -- to only then be "surprised" about the lenses.

bill vann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152
Like?
hard to access camera + glass til you have it
In reply to turnstyle, Jan 19, 2012

I know there is a track record of gadget fun here but so many reviews say the glass is "good enough" but that is soooo subjective.

at some level we're being hard on the OP.

I'm on the list for the NEX but also intrigued by the fuji and the glass may be the determinimg factor despite everything the NEX7 has going got it.

anyway I'll decide over the next month or twp when both are available, or if the NEX comes get a voightlander lens or two.

bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads