How do I use the infrared remote control?

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions
Kelemvor
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
How do I use the infrared remote control?
Jan 15, 2012

So I bought a wireless remote thing for my T1i (500D) camera. However, I can't figure out how it works.

I put the camera into self timer / remote mode but it doesn't seem to do anything. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks.

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,718Gear list
Like?
Re: How do I use the infrared remote control?
In reply to Kelemvor, Jan 15, 2012

Kelemvor wrote:

So I bought a wireless remote thing for my T1i (500D) camera. However, I can't figure out how it works.

I put the camera into self timer / remote mode but it doesn't seem to do anything. Can anyone help me figure this out?

The receptor eye is on the front of the camera and your remote has to be facing the front to work. Check page 194 of your camera's manual.
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kelemvor
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jan 15, 2012

Well I know where the eye thing is, but when I press any buttons, nothing happens. Is that al I should have to do is set it to self timer/remote mode and it should work? Maybe the batteries in this thing are duds. I just don't know if I'm missing anything or not.

JoeDuffus
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

Make sure that there's no strip in front of the batterry that is stopping it from connecting. Also make sure you're holding the right and forward toward the infrared sensor on the front of the camera. On the canon remote control there's a narrow that shows you which way is correct way. I made that mistake.

JoeDuffus's gear list:JoeDuffus's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Fidel Lavigne
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeDuffus, Jan 15, 2012

Im not familiar with the T1i, but I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to use a remote on my T3i. Go into the "Quick Menu" and scroll down to "Mode Drive", select the 3rd option from the left. That should work. When you press the remote it will activate the shutter after 10 sec.

Fidel Lavigne's gear list:Fidel Lavigne's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
wiwi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?

The model I have has a switch on the underneath part which determines whether it's off, in instant shutter mode or time delay. Maybe make sure you've changed any settings like that on your model.

To use mine it's a simple matter of putting the camera into remote release mode, choosing the mode on the actual release and away I go. You do have make sure that your camera hasn't powered down into sleep mode while it was waiting to take a photo.

Good Luck!

Kelemvor wrote:

Well I know where the eye thing is, but when I press any buttons, nothing happens. Is that al I should have to do is set it to self timer/remote mode and it should work? Maybe the batteries in this thing are duds. I just don't know if I'm missing anything or not.

-- hide signature --

The world is too big for one lifetime, and one lens.

wiwi's gear list:wiwi's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
tymevest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?
In reply to wiwi, Jan 16, 2012

I found with the T3i that is doesn't work too close to the camera. I thought my first one didn't work and ordered a second. It didn't work either. I was testing it on my desk at 12-18 inches from the camera. A little further back and both work fine. Why ???
--
Tymevest

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads