D5100 end of life - New D7100 replacment for D90 ?

Started Jan 14, 2012 | Discussions
Slyck
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
D5100 end of life - New D7100 replacment for D90 ?
Jan 14, 2012

Was in a local retail store today in Vancouver, Canada and noticed that the D5100 was on clearance. Asked about the D90, and when it might go on clearance as I'm more interested in its interface and don't want to spend the $$ for a D7000 etc.

Was told that the D5100 is being discontinued because of slow sales and will be replaced this Spring with a new model, possibly the D7100, which will be the supposed replacement for the D90, although the D90 will still be sold alongside of it for a while longer as the price points will be different enough, and therefore would not be put on clearance for a while longer.

No definite date was known for the new model, nor had the new body been seen, so no info on whether the interface would be a continuation of the D5100 or D90, or something else. Was told that the processor would be the same as that of the D7000. This is the second rep I've talked to at this chain of stores which has told me to expect a replacement for the D90, and that the D7000 was not it, although the first time I heard it was back in October and I wasn't sure how much faith to put in the info. This rep today did also say that the D7000 would remain the camera to get in that range though and that the newer model would not be knocking it from its perch, leaving me to wonder how the newer model will be crippled to not put D7000 sales at risk. I hope it isn't the interface, but with the D90 expected to remain a while longer and the D5100 the one being replaced it seems the most likely way to hobble it.

So, it seems the rumours of a new Nikon D7100 model do have some veracity after all. The question becomes when exactly it will be released and what interface it will have, and of course the finer details of features, etc.

Slyck

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?
Re: D5100 end of life - New D7100 replacment for D90 ?
In reply to Slyck, Jan 14, 2012

Are you sure that wasn't a D5000 you were looking at?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Slyck
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Jan 14, 2012

100% positive it was the D5100 Body only.

waiman
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

I would doubt it.

Top ten best-selling DSLRs and hybrids (in Japan)
1. Nikon D3100
2. Canon EOS Kiss X4 (550D)
3. Canon EOS Kiss X5 (600D)
4. Panasonic Lumix GF2
5. Canon EOS 60D
6. Sony NEX-5
7. Nikon D7000
8. Olympus PEN E-PL2
9. Nikon D90
10. Nikon D5100

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-d3100-tops-japan-s-best-seller-list-1051269

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?
In reply to waiman, Jan 14, 2012

I can't imagine a camera as competent a the D5100 (I have one) would be "discontinued". I think the sales guy you talked to should be discontinued for handing out false information!

kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Camera stores

Who needs them? I know that photographers don't need them, and potential new customers get fed whatever dribble they want to make up to make the sale. I love hanging out in our local store and countermanding ever bit of fantasy they spew to the unsuspecting.

They don't seem to like it, though.

toomanycanons wrote:

I can't imagine a camera as competent a the D5100 (I have one) would be "discontinued". I think the sales guy you talked to should be discontinued for handing out false information!

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?

Slyck wrote:

Was told that the D5100 is being discontinued because of slow sales and will be replaced this Spring with a new model, possibly the D7100, which will be the supposed replacement for the D90, although the D90 will still be sold alongside of it for a while longer as the price points will be different enough, and therefore would not be put on clearance for a while longer.

I see this is your first post so I would like to welcome you to the forum.....welcome.

The sales people at the store are simply not very knowledgeable regards the subject. It's possible they are being less than perfectly honest but not sure what their motivation would be. Why would they want you to wait for a camera that more than likely wont show up in their store until 2013. It might be they were simply temporary sales help and simply trying to do the best they could with the poor information they were given.

Anyways, Good Luck.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Mako2011, Jan 14, 2012

It probably isn't end of life.

But I would like to see Nikon update this model range I think Canon has them beaten at this price point.

D5100 lacks some important things such as HSS this rules it out for me as a back up body.

Maybe I should get another D90 because I'd pick that every day over a D5100. Nikon need to up their game a bit on this one.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Quite a new model to be replaced. However, in Nikon's shoes this is the exact price point to introduce a mirrorless DSLR, the demands for the optcial viewfinder at this level is not significant and therefore this is the perfect position to introduce the first mirrorless DSLR form Nikon.

So, if it happens, probably with a larger but mirrorless viewfinder, flippy screen, video and improved processing power.

So the difference between this and the D7000 could be the mirror and optical viewfinder on the D7000 vs mirrorless, the body motor on the D7000, the flippy screen and newer video technology on the updated model to 5100.

That would make sense and focus on the 'mass consumer market' vs the niche enthusiast which the D7000 caters to.

More volume sales would be the aim.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......'Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, Jan 14, 2012

After all, the D3100 already caters to new DSLR users and covers the basic consumer user anyway, so more differentiation is required.

I have a D5000 I bought used, because of the good value I got. But I also wanted the additional frame rate and buffer over the D3100, how many people really care about that.

The better sensor and the fps and buffer are the only real advantages of the D5100 over the D3100, not much differentiation.

So, makes sense to bring that model to its own focus, a mass market focus for hgih quality video, mirroirless entry etc.
--

.....Just from an amateur......'Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?

Very likely it is being "discontinued" at the store simply because it doesn't sell with their clientele. Could be that store, or could be chain wide. They put it on clearance to free up shelf/warehouse space as that has a cost associated to it, but it does not mean that the manufacturer discontinued it (and it would be epically stupid of Nikon to do so at this moment)

For instance, my local supermarket sells Cameras (go figure "would you like some JPEGs with your milk?"), clearly they likely have more luck with point and shoots than DSLRs as I have a hard time seeing someone drop a grand on a camera along with their groceries.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, Jan 14, 2012

Bajerunner wrote:

The better sensor and the fps and buffer are the only real advantages of the D5100 over the D3100, not much differentiation.

So, makes sense to bring that model to its own focus, a mass market focus for hgih quality video, mirroirless entry etc.
-

Personally I've no time for mirrorless but as long as folks get a choice that isn't a bad thing (with Sony you either embrace SLT or you have no alternatives)

On the D5100 well it needs a few things to really make it a more upper entry mid range DSLR model.

A better pentaprism VF (ie better than 0.78x which is a bit sad really)
HSS (bog standard feature I've had on even budget models)
Wireless via onboard
DOF preview button

And that might be worth a look. Nikon are the only maker to not offer wireless and HSS at this price point everyone else does.

Let's put it like this when the D90 stocks are gone there is a big gap between the D5100 and D7100 spec wise it's huge.

Shakens
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Jan 14, 2012

"No definite date was known for the new model, nor had the new body been seen, so no info on whether the interface would be a continuation" so they know nothing then and are just making stuff up.

sounds just like camera shop talk which you can take with a large pinch of salt..

the 5100 is selling well in the uk, stocks were moving fast at the stores i looked at when buying mine
--
Nikon D5100/Panasonic FZ48/TZ6/Pentax 430
Hi from England

Shakens's gear list:Shakens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shakens, Jan 14, 2012

Sounds a lot like a salesman trying to push a camera on you and making up things as he went along. So what company was this and what was their clearance price?

Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
In reply to herbymel, Jan 15, 2012

+1.

1) The D90 has been discontinued. While not (that I am aware of) available much on "clearance," they aren't making any more of them.

2) The D7000 has been a big hit for Nikon. If they come out with a D7100, it will be an update of the D7K - not the D5100.

3) I think Nikon will eventually replace the D3100 and D5100 with one DLSR model and a cheaper mirrorless model below it - but that is speculation - not fact.

The guy in the store was a doofus.

herbymel wrote:

Sounds a lot like a salesman trying to push a camera on you and making up things as he went along. So what company was this and what was their clearance price?

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?
In reply to Slyck, Jan 15, 2012

Slyck wrote:

Was in a local retail store today in Vancouver, Canada and noticed that the D5100 was on clearance.

Which store was it? If it was Futureshop or Bestbuy, I wouldn't put any credence into anything the salespeople have to offer. If it was Kerrisdale, Broadway or London Drugs, it would interesting to follow up.

http://1000wordpics.blogspot.com

Slyck
Like?
In reply to stuntmonkey, Jan 15, 2012

Was the dept. Manager I believe.

He was also a working photographer, and knew his stuff. He wasn't trying to make a sale, and I wasn't looking to buy. We were merely talking about the reasons why the D5100 was "Buy it Now" -clearance priced (I don't recall the price, because I didn't care, I wasn't at all interested in the D5100 as a camera, only as a curiosity of the event) and why the D90 was still not being liquidated at its much older age. I also expected the D7100 to be a small update to the D7000 and so was equally surprised at what I was being told.

I don't think he had anything to gain from the conversation. He didn't seem particularly interested in the new camera to come out either, and offered the information as the facts as he knew them at that time.

It was a high traffic, downtown location. I noticed that the same chain had the body+lens D5100 packages on sale as well ("As Advertised"), but not under the clearance "Buy it Now" designation.

Hopefully over the coming weeks there will be further signs of a new model to appear, and hopefully it will not be delayed much past the Spring. He mentioned March as the time-frame.

Of course it could all be bunk. I hope it isn't, but if it is, I agree, he would be a doofus of a special kind.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?

Slyck wrote:

Was the dept. Manager I believe.
He was also a working photographer, and knew his stuff.

He may know a lot about photography, but Nikon's plans for their future product line seem to not be his specialty.

He wasn't trying to make a sale, and I wasn't looking to buy. We were merely talking about the reasons why the D5100 was "Buy it Now" -clearance priced

He was simply wrong on that one. AS it's not being replaced anytime soon and production continues.

I also expected the D7100 to be a small update to the D7000 and so was equally surprised at what I was being told.

That surprise was your inner self saying...."hmmm, doesn't sound right"

I don't think he had anything to gain from the conversation. He didn't seem particularly interested in the new camera to come out either, and offered the information as the facts as he knew them at that time.

He simply isn't up on those things. Have you done any research yourself in that regard or simply relying on what you're told here and there?

Hopefully over the coming weeks there will be further signs of a new model to appear, and hopefully it will not be delayed much past the Spring. He mentioned March as the time-frame.

Right that down on your calendar. Then come December, give us an update on what you have found. If you take the store persons advice, we may not hear back from you for sometime so good luck.

Of course it could all be bunk. I hope it isn't, but if it is, I agree, he would be a doofus of a special kind.

I think more like just doing the best he can.

countrybutterfly
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?

I use to work at circuit city. Trust me. Managers at retail stores would never know this info. I cant believe you even remotely believe this.

countrybutterfly
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?

Also, I got my D5100 on sale too, it was about a month after it was released.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads