request recomendations for digital microscope - classroom use

Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions
Marc Leibowitz
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
request recomendations for digital microscope - classroom use
Jan 13, 2012

Hello all

My wife is a teacher who wants to show her class microscope images enlarged on her classroom smart- board that is attached to a MAC.

I purchased a Celestron Hand Held digital Microscope after reading that it was mac compatible. Here is a link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...ron_44302_A_Micro_Handheld_Deluxe_Digital.html

It is compatible only for Macs older than 5 years. Celestron support says they don't have a a way to use the device with a Lion or Leopard OSX computer.

Does anyone here have any experience viewing or capturing small microscope images
on a newer mac? Can you recommend hardware? Software?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

funnelwebmaster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064
Like?
Re: request recomendations for digital microscope - classroom use
In reply to Marc Leibowitz, Jan 19, 2012

I have absolutely no idea.
Sorry.

-- hide signature --

My Art, Your Pleasure

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MikeGF
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
In reply to Marc Leibowitz, Jan 19, 2012

Google or eBay ' Digital USB microscope' and several names come up. One that is advertised in Australia is Kaiser Baas. They say their microscope is Win and Mac compatible and sells for $80. Most makes seem to be under $100.
--
Mike

Marc Leibowitz
Like?
In reply to Marc Leibowitz, Jan 21, 2012

Thank you both for your reply.

The Kaiser Baas seems to be sold in the EU and Australia and not readily available in the US. There were a good number of similar units available. Some of them even advertised Mac compatibility.

Cost seemed relatively high for what was offered so I spent a few more dollars and got a used Motic digital compound Microscope on e-bay. Motic produces some of the better quality made in China instruments and offer their digital software as a download. Hopefully all will work. Thanks again for your reply.

Marc

michaeljberman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marc Leibowitz, Jan 22, 2012

I found this one:

http://www.meritline.com/usb-digital-microscope-20-mega-pixel-video-camera-200x---p-47628.aspx

It saids Operation system: Windows2000 SP4/XP/Vista/Win7, Mac OS X 10.5 or above

I have bought from that company many times, they are good but a lot of the stuff does come to the US on a "slow boat from China"

I keep saying that I will buy one for work, but it you get it, you can tell me how it works

Thanks

Mike
--
If you have low standards, you can take a look:
http://michaeljberman.zenfolio.com

michaeljberman's gear list:michaeljberman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Marc Leibowitz
Like?
In reply to michaeljberman, Jan 22, 2012

Thanks for your reply Mike.

The Meritline scope looks line a very good unit for the price, particularly with a 1.3 meg sensor. I'm a bit put off by warehousing and shipping from China which probably means that delivery is slow or expensive, support nonexistent and returns a hassle.

I did find several manufacturers who seem to fit the bill for OSX compatibility and US availability. Dino or Dinolite makes a broad range of these things with both plastic and metal bodies, various resolutions and prices. They advertise OSX compatibility.

Also, the Motic company is one of the larger, better microscope manufacturers in China. They make a wide range of less expensive scopes and have a large presence in the educational market. Their scopes work with their own software which can be downloaded. I ended up purchasing a used Motic compound digital microscope on e-bay and this will hopefully end my search for a classroom scope.

As an aside, I now find myself researching microscopes with the idea of hooking one up to one of my digital cameras. This could to turn out to be a big time money pit.
(grin)... thanks again for your reply.
Marc

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,810
Like?
In reply to Marc Leibowitz, Jan 22, 2012

Whoops! I posted on the wrong thread - content removed.

-Erik
--
DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads