Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions
pebar_Walsall
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
Pentax Interview at CES
Jan 12, 2012

There's a new interview posted at Imaging Resource with John Carlson, Pentax:

pebar_Walsall's gear list:pebar_Walsall's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
pebar_Walsall
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax Interview at CES
In reply to pebar_Walsall, Jan 12, 2012

Well that didn't work. Let's try this:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/01/12/imaging-resource-interviewjohn-carlson-pentax

pebar_Walsall's gear list:pebar_Walsall's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonny1976
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,987Gear list
Like?

i completely agree. full frame is at this point totally useless.

the market is not going that direction and at the moment Iq on apse is great really comparable to full frame.

i hope they will work on a medium format camera with less pixel and cheaper. that would be a great move for pentax.
i don't feel all the need for a full frame camera.

pebar_Walsall wrote:

Well that didn't work. Let's try this:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/01/12/imaging-resource-interviewjohn-carlson-pentax

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
janneman02
Forum ProPosts: 15,722Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Jan 12, 2012

jonny1976 wrote:

the market is not going that direction and at the moment Iq on apse is great really comparable to full frame.

Not "totally useless", there really are advatages in FF but they are not necessary for most shooters, including the vast majority craving or already shooting FF.
Anyways, this wil surely cause a lot of "Pentax is doomed"reactions.

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

Phixer323
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?

I don't see a lot of substance in that interview. About the only thing I learned was that they are working on a plan for the brand. We kinda figured that! I going to remain hopeful. The worst case scenario is that I still have three very good Pentax SLR's to shoot with. My hope, like has been said, is that this innocuous interview isn't viewed as doom and gloom.

Phixer323's gear list:Phixer323's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,073Gear list
Like?

pebar_Walsall wrote:

He reminded me of one of those talking dolls - after a while, you knew exactly what he was going to say before he said it.
--
Mike
http://flickr.com/rc-soar

breeze_of_wind
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?
In reply to janneman02, Jan 12, 2012

I disagree. There has recently been a long thread on the possible future obsolesence of the K mount. Here I see someone speaking to extending the offerings -- a faster 300, something longer than the 300. He seems to be saying that Pentax understands that one of its sweet spots is, and will continue to, centered on those who have committeed to Pentax in the past. That is enough for me.
John

janneman02 wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

Not "totally useless", there really are advatages in FF but they are not necessary for most shooters, including the vast majority craving or already shooting FF.
Anyways, this wil surely cause a lot of "Pentax is doomed"reactions.

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,020
Like?
In reply to Phixer323, Jan 12, 2012

That was pretty pathetic. This sums it up:

"I think there's a couple of things I've seen with our competitors that are very compelling, like auto-focus during video, and more manual controls of exposure during the video. However, I think what's important is to realize that while that stuff is... would be nice to have, it's not absolutely necessary. "

Not what you want to hear from your camera company. Sounds like the same goes for tethering.

glanglois
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?

Poor guy. They (Ned? Toyko staff?) made JC talk to the press but wouldn't let him say much, if anything.

The only real nugget is that development resources are not be allocated to FF at this time. That will cause some Pentaxians to choose another system but I don't know how many. Dozens? Scores? Hundreds? I don't think that we will see thousands leave but I don't have an interest in FF so I'm not tracking it well.

I will assume that no significant announcements are planned here. That's fair, as there are better forums for the issues in the interview than CES. PMA doesn't seem to have a leading role in Las Vegas and a different show could be better.

Unless, of course, you want to buy a body in the K-R/K-X category. Then, at least in the US, you may be a victim of Pentax planning.

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,020
Like?
In reply to glanglois, Jan 12, 2012

It does kind of set this board straight as far as FF goes. You get thread after thread on here about any little speculation that Pentax will make a FF dslr. I think we are clear now on that.

Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately JC did not really say much in general and in my case nothing that's interesting. Has anybody seen what Bunnell has said, he was supposed to also give an interview or presentation?

It also makes me wonder how much do guys like Bunnell and Carlson know, since the US daughter company seems to be just a distributor. I'd like to hear somebody from the Japanese mothership, somebody who is in the position to know and tell us more.

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,929Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Jan 12, 2012

It is nice to hear something from a Pentax official at PMA @ CES. John didn't say much but he did sound like he is pleased with the direction Ricoh is talking Pentax. He also aknownledge the lack of long lenses, so maybe this means Pentax is going to come out with something longer than they currently have.

Maybe next month at CP+ we will get to see a few new products. Hopefully it is a K-r replacement and a few K-mount lenses. Then again it could be the long telephoto for the Q. :-).

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, Jan 12, 2012

Fairly predictable.

Those hoping for a FF DSLR would be advised to give up that idea. Which is a shame because it's far more relevant than MF digital is to the market segment.

I appreciate it's not a quick thing to do you need the lenses to back that up.

On the Q he seemed a bit shy to probably admit it's not been a hit but then it was an instant fail from day one before it hit the shops.

Couldn't help but laugh on the K-r comments it's very capable well John boy go out and shoot with one and you'll have some very eye opening situations esp in some lighting conditions

If you want FF 35mm I'd just make a move to the top 2 players at this stage.

Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
In reply to chiane, Jan 12, 2012

chiane wrote:

It does kind of set this board straight as far as FF goes. You get thread after thread on here about any little speculation that Pentax will make a FF dslr. I think we are clear now on that.

You must've read a different interview, because in the interview I read, JC didn't really say that much about FF. "Not in the positition to say whether there are resources." "We're pretty confident."

DE: What's your sense about full-frame? Is there enough demand there to justify developing a body for it? Or is full-frame really kind of going away, so on one hand you've got the 645D and on the other, you've got APS-C sensor?

JC: I wouldn't say it's going away. However, Pentax has made a commitment to both the APS-C and 645. Whether we have the resources to do something in between those, I'm not in a position to say. I think we're pretty confident with our current direction with the APS-C and the 645, because we're addressing the consumer market as well the professional market.

kevinschoenmakers
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?
In reply to breeze_of_wind, Jan 12, 2012

breeze_of_wind wrote:

He seems to be saying that Pentax understands that one of its sweet spots is, and will continue to be, centered on those who have committeed to Pentax in the past. That is enough for me.
John

Indeed.

glanglois
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Jan 12, 2012

What I got from this is that Pentax has made a commitment and allocated resources to APS-C (I guess it's not dead after all) and 645D. Won't say that for FF.

So ... nothing new on FF in the near future. I was referring to those members who indicated that this was Pentax's last chance to announce a FF (or FF direction) or they would take their cash and marbles elsewhere.

I'm certain that Pentax is always considering FF, so no news there.

Oddly enough, he spoke of confidence in the MF and APS-C markets. That creates an implication, however imprecise, that they are not confident about the FF market. I would not expect such a bold stroke until they are confident that it will be worth the opportunity cost. (For those not familiar with the term, that means the cost that comes from not doing other things with the resources devoted to FF, e.g., R&D, sales and marketing, expansion/improvement of the support structure for professionals if needed, channel expansion or re-direction, add'l market/competitive research, etc. The cash spent on those things may be better spent enhancing some other part of the business, hence the cost of the lost opportunities in those other parts.

I'd say this leads to a conclusion of no FF delivery in 2012. But I'm often really, really wrong.

Raffwal wrote:

chiane wrote:

You must've read a different interview, because in the interview I read, JC didn't really say that much about FF. "Not in the positition to say whether there are resources." "We're pretty confident."

DE: What's your sense about full-frame? Is there enough demand there to justify developing a body for it? Or is full-frame really kind of going away, so on one hand you've got the 645D and on the other, you've got APS-C sensor?

JC: I wouldn't say it's going away. However, Pentax has made a commitment to both the APS-C and 645. Whether we have the resources to do something in between those, I'm not in a position to say. I think we're pretty confident with our current direction with the APS-C and the 645, because we're addressing the consumer market as well the professional market.

Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303Gear list
Like?
In reply to glanglois, Jan 12, 2012

Pentax basically said they are considering options, trying to figure out what to do, watching the market, consulting palm readers, hoping for guidance, praying for more resources, and trying not to screw up too bad.

So at least we know they have a plan.

-- hide signature --

Contax 645, Canon 5D, Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,002Gear list
Like?

I hope the supertele is not a 300mm f2.8. That's a $5000 lens, and won't be a big seller due to ever-improving sensors and the DA*300 f4 available at a fraction of the price. Fast apertures are not as important now as in the film days when ASA 800 was really fast. A DA*400 f4 or 4.5, that's what we need.
--
Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
A brief summary for the lazy one

Q: ?
A: Bla-bla-bla working on that, can't tell you more

A: Bla-bla-bla - not working on that, can't tell you more

A: Bla-bla-bla - Q can make good photos -bla-bla-bla

A: Bla-bla-bla - Q doesn't need a bigger sensor, the sensor is big enough [it has enough pixels?] for 17x19 prints [what is this size anyway?]

A: Bla-bla-bla - Q and 645.

A: 645

A: F..k the APS-C, we plan to develop it for 645, no release date, still beta

A: No we are not going to support that, even though everyone else either support or is planning to support this. Check the Youtube, some freaks are smart enough to live without this feature anyway

Q: Future?
A: Optimistic - Water-proof DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,002Gear list
Like?
In reply to chiane, Jan 12, 2012

chiane wrote:

That was pretty pathetic. This sums it up:

"I think there's a couple of things I've seen with our competitors that are very compelling, like auto-focus during video, and more manual controls of exposure during the video. However, I think what's important is to realize that while that stuff is... would be nice to have, it's not absolutely necessary. "

Not what you want to hear from your camera company.

Couldn't care less. I don't even want video on my camera.
--
Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads