Quiet DSLR shutter???

Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions
rrh
rrh
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Quiet DSLR shutter???
Jan 10, 2012

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a quiet shutter for an DSLR camer such as the 7D? One of the 7D's many uses is wildlife and I have always been very annoyed at the awful racket all the DSLR's & SLR's make. I don't know if the high end DSLR's are better at this but it's a moot point as I will never be able to justify the cost of the high end equipment.

Thanks for any responses. I cannot comment or respond till later tonight.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,335
Like?
Re: Quiet DSLR shutter???
In reply to rrh, Jan 10, 2012

I haven't looked for it for a while but didn't they usually post a recording of the shutter sound of DSLRs here with the reviews?

I doubt that a good quiet one is going to be that cheap.

rrh wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a quiet shutter for an DSLR camer such as the 7D? One of the 7D's many uses is wildlife and I have always been very annoyed at the awful racket all the DSLR's & SLR's make. I don't know if the high end DSLR's are better at this but it's a moot point as I will never be able to justify the cost of the high end equipment.

Thanks for any responses. I cannot comment or respond till later tonight.

-- hide signature --

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.
...oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unotisto
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?

The newer Nikons have the feature, even the low-end ones. But I'm not sure what do you mean, since most of the noise is made by the mirror slap.

Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,068
Like?

Pentax K-5 is reckoned to be the quietest DSLR without needing any 'quiet mode'.

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,482
Like?
There are enclosures you can buy
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,107
Like?

One of my primary reasons for upgrading from my Sony A700 was to get a camera with a quiet shutter.

The new Sony SLTs are pretty quiet, but I opted against the A77 for various reasons.

The lack of a quiet shutter on any Canon (from 5D-II, which was out of my range anyway down through the APS-C models) ruled them out.

I bought a D7000. The shutter is pretty quiet in normal operation; noticably quieter than any SLR/DSLR I've used/tried before. I can't say for sure whether or not it's quieter/as quiet as any of the Sony SLT models. It also has a 'Q' mode for even quieter operation - it's not quite as responsive, but still very good (and vastly better than and DSLRs CDAF mode - I didn't count that as a viable option on Canon) but I find the normal shutter sound quiet enough that I haven't felt the need to use it yet.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Heie
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brad99, Jan 11, 2012

Brad99 wrote:

Pentax K-5 is reckoned to be the quietest DSLR without needing any 'quiet mode'.

I can attest to that. Pentax was the first DSLR I owned (K7), so I wasn't really accustomed to any difference. And then I went shooting with friends who touted Nikons and Canons. The Nikons weren't too bad, but the Canon? Holy egregiously loud...

Now I appreciate my K5's whisper every time

-Heie
--

I'm a 23 year old lieutenant serving as a platoon leader in the US Army that has an extremely voracious appetite for backpacking and adventure. I am also finally feeding my passion for photography while working on the fluency of my two languages other than English: Spanish and Arabic, and now picking up some broken German as I live in the Fatherland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexjansenphotography

Heie's gear list:Heie's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heie, Jan 11, 2012

The Sony A200 I started with was a mid-range clunk; when I went to earlier Pentax I learned to deal with a Clack! which meant only one kitty shot per session Now I have the K-5 and love the snick - some day I will pick up something with a lens motor and disappear from the audio spectrum!

Heie wrote:

Brad99 wrote:

I can attest to that. Pentax was the first DSLR I owned (K7), so I wasn't really accustomed to any difference. And then I went shooting with friends who touted Nikons and Canons. The Nikons weren't too bad, but the Canon? Holy egregiously loud...

Now I appreciate my K5's whisper every time

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- http://granitix.blogspot.com
Alpha A200 -> G1 -> K-5 & F550exr

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
learnerguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
In reply to unotisto, Jan 11, 2012

I have a Nikon D3100 with a 'Quiet Mode'. I hardly use that mode, but when used I do not feel 'quiet'.

unotisto wrote:

The newer Nikons have the feature, even the low-end ones. But I'm not sure what do you mean, since most of the noise is made by the mirror slap.

learnerguy's gear list:learnerguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D3100
rrh
rrh
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
In reply to Heie, Jan 11, 2012

Well, I have a few very nice Canon lenses and can't afford to start over. Was just hoping enough people would care and Canon would take note and see an opportunity to beat the competition. I went to a Wolf Camera store for a demonstration of the "quiet mode" on a 7D but they either didn't know how or couldn't get it to work??

bullet1
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,727Gear list
Like?
Have you tried
In reply to rrh, Jan 12, 2012

using the Live View on the 7D? The shutter sound is pretty minimal on the 5D2 that way.

It cannot get any lower due to the mechanical shutter. For that, we need electronic shutters but are there any current DSLR using all electronic shutter. Some CSC (aka mirrorless) cameras might already have that.
--
Nelson Chen
http://pbase.com/nelsonc
http://NelsonChenPhotography.com/
100% RAW shooter with Capture One Pro

Colorado Renaissance Festival photos:
http://www.pbase.com/nelsonc/renaissance_festivals

bullet1's gear list:bullet1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,335
Like?
In reply to unotisto, Jan 12, 2012

What about mirror lock up and run off a tether?

unotisto wrote:

-- hide signature --

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.
...oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,589Gear list
Like?
It's the not knowing that gets you
In reply to rrh, Jan 12, 2012

rrh wrote:

Well, I have a few very nice Canon lenses and can't afford to start over. Was just hoping enough people would care and Canon would take note and see an opportunity to beat the competition. I went to a Wolf Camera store for a demonstration of the "quiet mode" on a 7D but they either didn't know how or couldn't get it to work??

"Quiet mode" on Canons works only in live view, which makes sense since you can't make a flapping mirror quiet. So you set it up in a menu, then go to live view.

It isn't absolutely quiet since all it does is leave the shutter open until it records the image; then the curtain closes, making some sound. But there's no sound at all until after the picture is taken.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads