Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm f4

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Got the lens just now....
In reply to Paul Richman, Jan 12, 2012

Check on Ebay; you may be lucky!

I don't have this lens, but I am considering it if I decide to go for a Nex camera.
I can't wait to see your test and your impression about it.
I hope you will like it.
Good luck,
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks again, Louis...

I just responded to you on top.
My pleasure, my friend; I hope you will like it!

I am sure WATE and MATE are great lenses; no doubt about it; but there is a big difference in the price!
Let us informed about your expereince with this lens.
Regards,
--
Louis

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,100Gear list
Like?

Paul,

I have no real experience using R lenses. In the past, I have looked, in vane, for some R for my Canon EOS.

Leica Rs are great lenses, no doubt, whether made by Leica or outsourced (to Minolta, Sigma, Kyocera). For wide zoom, the 21-35/3.5-4Asph, and for medium zoom, the 28-90/2.8-4.5Asph, are popular (both Made in Germany), which I considered seriously; but too pricy and I opted out. Oh, Asph, oh, APO. The 35-70/4 is very small, light, and affordable.

Enjoy your toys, and have a great trip, my friend.

-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

... I think I might like it. It's not too big or heavy, even with the Novoflex R adapter on my Nex. However, it did not come with the E60 screw in hood, and I can's find one anywhere. Do you know where I might get one?

Again, thanks for this idea! I will now test the lens for IQ.

l_objectif wrote:

Take a look at this link. It looks quite small to me!

http://www.overgaard.dk/pdf/Vario-Elmar-R_35-70_mm_Technical_Data_en.pdf

-- hide signature --

Louis

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Steven-T
Like?

Paul,

I have no real experience using R lenses. In the past, I have looked, in vane, for some R for my Canon EOS.

Leica Rs are great lenses, no doubt, whether made by Leica or outsourced (to Minolta, Sigma, Kyocera). For wide zoom, the 21-35/3.5-4Asph, and for medium zoom, the 28-90/2.8-4.5Asph, are popular (both Made in Germany), which I considered seriously; but too pricy and I opted out. Oh, Asph, oh, APO. The 35-70/4 is very small, light, and affordable.

Enjoy your toys, and have a great trip, my friend.

-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

... I think I might like it. It's not too big or heavy, even with the Novoflex R adapter on my Nex. However, it did not come with the E60 screw in hood, and I can's find one anywhere. Do you know where I might get one?

Again, thanks for this idea! I will now test the lens for IQ.

l_objectif wrote:

Take a look at this link. It looks quite small to me!

http://www.overgaard.dk/pdf/Vario-Elmar-R_35-70_mm_Technical_Data_en.pdf

-- hide signature --

Louis

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
david nix
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm f4
In reply to Steven-T, Jan 17, 2012

When attached do you need the finder that comes with the lens? If not most

lens even used come with the finder. This makes for an expensive, nonusable piece of equipment.

david nix's gear list:david nix's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,029Gear list
Like?
Re: What about polarizers?
In reply to Paul Richman, Jan 17, 2012

pretty soon you will find that with leica m lenses colors are saturated enough even without a polarizer. that is, of course, if you use the hood.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,087Gear list
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Jan 17, 2012

Interesting! But I must admit to being somewhat skeptical about this, even from such an accomplished photographer as you.

Polarizers remove reflections, eg on leafs, which can make a dramatic effect.

However, I've now put the CP setup on the Tri-Elmar. What a pain! And the filter holder has holes in it, which let light in from the back!

I'm going to post questions about this wacko design soon, in another post, but what can you tell me, Irakly?

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

pretty soon you will find that with leica m lenses colors are saturated enough even without a polarizer. that is, of course, if you use the hood.
--
Irakly Shanidze

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Paul Richman
Like?
It is a waste
In reply to david nix, Jan 17, 2012

No use for it whatsoever. Perhaps it could be sold on ebay?

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Steven-T
Like?
In reply to Paul Richman, Jan 17, 2012

Paul,

Use a duct tape (cut a small arch) to tape up those stupid holes in the adapter. I find no problem with using filters on the WATE, . . . Just used my GND on the WATE yesterday. Here is a quick pano on C3, at 16mm, casual, only one sweep, done.

What Irakly said about color saturation is (quite) true (my limited prudency), but that's different from what you said about metal/water/leaf/other surface reflections etc, which is also true. I agree with both of you.

-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

Interesting! But I must admit to being somewhat skeptical about this, even from such an accomplished photographer as you.

However, I've now put the CP setup on the Tri-Elmar. What a pain! And the filter holder has holes in it, which let light in from the back!

I'm going to post questions about this wacko design soon, in another post, but what can you tell me, Irakly?

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

--
Irakly Shanidze

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman
Like?
Duct tape???

Thanks, Steven. i must admit that I hate the idea of using duct tape on this lovely gear. Ugh! Over time, I suspect gummy adhesive from the tape will get all over... Have any idea why they left holes there?

Nice pano, Steven. Done in-camera, right?

I don't find the color saturation and contrast all that different from the Zeiss and high end Nikon lenses I've been using. But they are a bit sharper, and way smaller and lighter.

Steven-T wrote:
Paul,

Use a duct tape (cut a small arch) to tape up those stupid holes in the adapter. I find no problem with using filters on the WATE, . . . Just used my GND on the WATE yesterday. Here is a quick pano on C3, at 16mm, casual, only one sweep, done.

What Irakly said about color saturation is (quite) true (my limited prudency), but that's different from what you said about metal/water/leaf/other surface reflections etc, which is also true. I agree with both of you.

-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

--
Irakly Shanidze

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman
Like?
Better solution than duct tape...

... Well, I recalled a little circular piece of black paper that came with the Leica filter holder for the Tri-Elmar. The instructions, printed right on this black paper, say it's to be used only on M9 and only with the IR filter.

However, if you push it in place, it completely blocks the holes. Yes! It does have a smaller opening than the adapter, so I was worried that it would vignette. But no! Not even at 16mm. Probably because of the APSC sensor.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Steven-T
Like?
Re: Duct tape???
In reply to Paul Richman, Jan 18, 2012

Paul,

Leica uses an OVF. Many M lens hoods block partially the view, particularly the lower corner near the lens axis. The holes aid to see through the hood for composing, very beneficial.

Yes, that pano uses C3's (in-camera) sweep panorama. Quite fun to play with. From my experience, the Leica M lenses on M9 can (depends, of course!), relatively speaking to e.g. Canon L's on 5D2, a bit more saturated. But I find not so on my C3 though.

Have fun finding a solution besides a quick effort with dirty duct taping.

-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

Thanks, Steven. i must admit that I hate the idea of using duct tape on this lovely gear. Ugh! Over time, I suspect gummy adhesive from the tape will get all over... Have any idea why they left holes there?

Nice pano, Steven. Done in-camera, right?

I don't find the color saturation and contrast all that different from the Zeiss and high end Nikon lenses I've been using. But they are a bit sharper, and way smaller and lighter.

Steven-T wrote:
Paul,

-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

--
Irakly Shanidze

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul Richman, Jan 18, 2012

Of course there are situations when polarizer is indispensable, like when shooting through the glass against which you cannot press the lens hood. What happens though, you learn to avoid those situations

As to reflections on foliage, water, etc., as unbelievable as it sounds, Leica lenses do handle them better than any other glass. The reason is, high micro-contrast, which resolves detail under the reflection making glare visibly more transparent. Incidentally, it is the micro-contrast that also makes slightly out-of-focus Leica pictures look sharper than they are. People who shoot their Summiluxes mostly wide open are not familiar with the effect, as micro-contrast becomes sufficiently high at f/2.8 and further increases when stopping down to f/8. Since Tri-Elmars are f/4, you don't have to stop down to see this. Just try it
--
Irakly Shanidze

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Jan 18, 2012

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

Of course there are situations when polarizer is indispensable, like when shooting through the glass against which you cannot press the lens hood. What happens though, you learn to avoid those situations

Good point.

As to reflections on foliage, water, etc., as unbelievable as it sounds, Leica lenses do handle them better than any other glass. The reason is, high micro-contrast, which resolves detail under the reflection making glare visibly more transparent.

I will try this out. My only experience with this so far is with Nikon, where it does make a big difference.

Incidentally, it is the micro-contrast that also makes slightly out-of-focus Leica pictures look sharper than they are. People who shoot their Summiluxes mostly wide open are not familiar with the effect, as micro-contrast becomes sufficiently high at f/2.8 and further increases when stopping down to f/8. Since Tri-Elmars are f/4, you don't have to stop down to see this. Just try it

Very cool! I love this sort of insight, Irakly. I will try it out to see for myself.

Again, kudos on your website! If's fabulous. Very different from what i shoot, which makes it doubly interesting to me.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads