DP2 Vs Fuji X10 at ISO 100, HD

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2 Vs Fuji X10 at ISO 100, HD
In reply to Tom Schum, Jan 11, 2012

Making another desperate attempt to keep this thread going, even though it eventually gets us knowares.

Here are two more shots from the same afternoon. It was an unexpectedly balmy and pleasant winter afternoon.

The DP2 image is clearer, with fewer edge artifacts and I think better color (certainly more variety).

The Fuji X10 still comes very close though. Surprisingly good for a small sensor.

If you click my name you can go to my DPR gallery and download the HD originals if you're interested.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Jan 11, 2012

Are you still using the Fuji OOC JPEG vs. the DP2 RAW converted in SPP?

What software are you using to resize, Elements?

I have to be honest, I still think these images are disparate (aperture, shutter speed) with what looks to be sharpening applied to the X10 image, which appears to have a bit more fine detail despite the sharpened edge lightening, although the colors are definitely off. The Fuji also shows more detail in the shadowy areas (trunk, bark).

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,516Gear list
Like?
In reply to sensibill, Jan 11, 2012

Are you still using the Fuji OOC JPEG vs. the DP2 RAW converted in SPP?

largely irrelevant because the DP2's JPG engine pulls as much detail as SPP Does (you just need to PP) and it's hard to beat the X10's excellent JPG engine using RAW

A RAW shot Canon G10 in Capture one will beat both easily (especially the X10 which is a good 6Mp at best) for detail and that's a 4yr old camera with a 1:1.6" chip

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Jan 14, 2012

An acquaintance showed me some of his G11 (or was that G12) photos taken in available light at fairly high ISO. I like my X10 better, but I tend to process the images a little more.
Thanks again for all your comments and discussion.

Eventually I'll try printing some comparison shots, having just bought an Epson R2000 printer. This should open my eyes.
--
Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
solsang
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Jan 16, 2012

Thank you very much for making this comparison, it is absolutely relevant as a crucial issue for me is the price for getting a new camera; this is mostly underestimated or neglected in dpreview; the best camera is the one you can afford to buy!!

I own the dp2 and am planning to get the x10, so your posting is the best argument i have yet seen; i started serious photopgraphy with the legendary f31, thus the x10 seems like a very good continuation, and i think naturally of using 6mp yet honestly had not thought it could get anywhere close to the dp2

Since fuji cameras tend to fall in price after a few months, i will wait and thus also get the new firmware; i actually like pictures of street lamps and the sun behind trees, so i heed the warnings yet am mostly indifferent to fussing too much since it will in any case be much better than the red foveon patterns;)

Happy you make this work, and using a smallsensor i find it correct to compare the ooc jpg of x10 to the raw of dp2, that will be my preferred workstyle since i understand that the wb of x10 is pretty correct and especially skin colour natural

I had planned to use the semi-promised dp3, which realistically would have had a 28-84mm lens, so the x10 fills that long-avaited spot, which sigma sadly failed to manifest, and the x10 has so much more to love in actual shooting situations
--
Collected user advice for dp1 and dp2 (including s and x)

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARddveJWxIl_ZGZuN3Y0ZG1fMTA1ZmRyOHNkaHE&hl=en_GB )

solsang's gear list:solsang's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Sigma SD15 Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM Apple Aperture +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads